male/female view of size

clarkma86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah, these charts are really bummers for us small guys. Let's just say I end up with more than 95% of all men bigger. The number of woman who really don't want to share our status is very considerable even if they are usually nice enough not to say anything. :eek:

The lifestyles data seems to really push everything to be too big; the data must be self-reported or something like that, because the best figures I've heard is 5.07" statistical mean length which is GREATER than the median length. I think if you shift the x-axis scale of the lifestyles graph (percentile plot) on wikipedia over to the right by an inch (or maybe 0.8 inches), you're going to be closer to true data.

Irish

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Johns Island (South Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Really???

WOW. I'm 5' 11" and have never considered myself tall. Ever.

See, this is just like with our dicks. I'm shocked guys 7" and larger come on here seriously questioning if they're bigger than average yet I consider that really big as I'm at the lower end of average.

Relativity, it seems, isn't just something in the cosmos.
I'm 6'3" and never considered myself tall. That's average height for a male in my family, I have a large family (in numbers), and I see them a lot. My perception of height is very skewed. I think of 6'3" as pretty much average and everything below that as "short." I have a 7' tall cousin and a few other relatives over 6'6", so very few people stand out to me as tall because my perception is skewed, regardless of how well I understand the stats.

And speaking of stats, I had to dig this up again. It was originally posted in a discussion about people "inflating" their numbers, but I think it serves to show what "size category" one might fall in to and how rare/common that category is.
I'm a bit of a math bum so let's see what I can do. 99.7% of a normal system will fall within three standard deviations of the mean. Let's assume that penis sizes are normally distributed and that the average size is 5.5" with a standard deviation of 1.1".

0.3% of the population would fall outside three standard deviations. 50% of those would be on the small end (below 2.2") and 50% would be on the large end (above 8.8").

Therefore, 0.15% (15/10,000) men would have a penis longer than 8.8".

About 99.993666% of the population would be within four standard deviations. With half of the remaining population on the large side that gives you 0.003167% above 9.9". That's three out of one hundred thousand.

Assuming 2.5 billion people in the world are males - I think it's closer to 2 billion, but let's be generous - there would be potentially 79,195 9.9"+ in the entire world. Assuming everyone in the US had a fully developed penis there would be about 6904 such centaurs right here in the States. Assuming about 40% of the people in the US are male that leaves us with 2761 potentials. I'm not sure what the standard deviation on age is... but of the 218 million or so people in the US, the chances of meeting someone that is in this tiny population of 2761 that is also "developed" - is pretty slim (1.27x10^-5% if you take out the puberty factor and assume all males have their fully developed penis at the beginning of their life). There are an awful lot of males in the country that haven't hit puberty yet so the number of potentials is actually much smaller than 2761, but like I said, I have no stats on what percentage of the country is a pubescent male.

The number does seem a little high to me, someone double check my math?

Edit: Given generous stats and the "law of averages*" to have randomly hooked up with two guys above 9.9" you would need over 1333 different male partners. These numbers seem to make more sense and were derived using the same data. Out of hundreds of million or billions of people even a small number of outliers can seem like a reasonable number because it's easier to grasp "79,195 huge people" than "2,500,000,000 people." I'm somewhat synasthetic and even I have problems fully grasping just how huge 2.5 billion really is.

*Don't get me started on the "law of averages."

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hehe, I end up in the 10% percentiles of the Wikipedia LifeStyles charts.... and not on the good end of the spectrum either. It's tough knowing that 90% of men out there are longer and thicker than I am.

Cogito ergo PE

I don't believe those charts are correct. The studies that were not self measured or didn't take only volunteers came out much lower on average.

I still say the average is really about 5" and the median is 4.75".

I don't like being average either but there are many of us out there and plenty of women who will take us too.:smile:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm 6'3" and never considered myself tall. That's average height for a male in my family, I have a large family (in numbers), and I see them a lot. My perception of height is very skewed. I think of 6'3" as pretty much average and everything below that as "short." I have a 7' tall cousin and a few other relatives over 6'6", so very few people stand out to me as tall because my perception is skewed, regardless of how well I understand the stats.

Who's the better one on one hoops star ? The 7 footer obviously dunks. But that shouldn't stop the rest of the bunch from playing very competitvely ?

At 130 lbs though, you probably don't want to be the one taking a hard foul ?

The lifestyles data seems to really push everything to be too big; the data must be self-reported or something like that, because the best figures I've heard is 5.07" statistical mean length which is GREATER than the median length. I think if you shift the x-axis scale of the lifestyles graph (percentile plot) on wikipedia over to the right by an inch (or maybe 0.8 inches), you're going to be closer to true data.

Hmmmm! Maybe I need to post a complaint to Wikipedia. . . they have a system for moderating and adjusting their entries to reality, I think. Certainly, the average must be skewed to the right as a penis cannot be shorter than zero while there is no theoretical limit length. In other words the lower 5% might be between 1.5 and 4.0 while the upper 5% might be between 7" and 12". This would cause an offset between mean and median unless I am not remembering statistics properly.

Perhaps the most important point to keep in mind is that sexually ACTIVE men (excluding monogomous ones in marriage) tend to be considerably larger than median or mean. Women who indulge in one night stands, pick-up bars, hooking-up at College etc. get used to penises considerably larger than average or median.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Perhaps the most important point to keep in mind is that sexually ACTIVE men (excluding monogomous ones in marriage) tend to be considerably larger than median or mean. Women who indulge in one night stands, pick-up bars, hooking-up at College etc. get used to penises considerably larger than average or median.

I have heard this and I wonder if it is really so. Maybe some of the ladies here will chime in. Again, stuff I have read about this was self reported.
The men in the surveys listed the number of sex partners along with their penis size. I do not trust self reported surveys. Just like a lot of the guys
here will not accept claims of extreme size without proof. Three of the biggest womanizers I have run into on the job all addmitted to being small to average. Some of them bar hopped around the local college watering holes too.

Not trying to start and argument...just going by what I have seen. This may be very different from your experience. Maybe it is the ole "birds of a feather flock together" thing. Do large guys all hang out at the same places and is there a special bond between them? I do not know.

As for the Lifestyles survey. I know it was measured by a medical staff but the guys were all volunteers. I mean if you were there on spring break and you had a friend who is small to average who would be most likely to and be measured? Even Kinsey has backed off their original finding of 6.5" from their earlier self reported survey. Again, not trying to argue I am sure it is much harder for the well endowed to see average as it is.

I am not saying that for justification either. I have openly addmitted being small for years. If I am just above average, dead average, or a bit below I still think I am small and probably always will. I still doubt the validity of most of these studies. I would want the truth no matter how much it hurts me or helps me. Not likely it will help me either.

D_Coyne Toss

Expert Member
Media
I totally agree: taliking about size most of my friends think that the "big" starts at 20 cm (8 inches), when the real average is 16/17.

Girls i talked too already think about a 18 cm tool as (7 in) as big.

"401 male voluteers of which, only 300 were "effective" male volunteers (75%), as 101 male volunteers (25%) could not gain an erection for measurement. At 300 effective measurements, this study is twice the size of any previous study that uses medical staff to measure penis size. This method is more accurate and reliable than studies where volunteers undertake self-measurement / reporting."

Some guesses:
1) Small dicked men would not show up for measurement.
2) That 25% seems fishy.
3) They wanted to lower the "stereotyped average" bar,.. but if they lowered it too far it might cause problems.

As for my view on penises... I focus on endurance... size isn't that important at all (no aversion to micropenises, etc).

espreggels

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just found out my girlfriends ex was 11 inches.

Great.

That's unlikely in the extreme. Eleven inches is the penile equivalent of being seven feet tall -- not impossible, certainly, but the percentages are incredibly small. the How did you find this out? Did she tell you? That would lead to a number of possibilities:

1. She's intentionally exaggerating his size for some reason. I don't know why she would do this -- I don't know her, after all -- but she might, for example, be trying to increase her leverage in the relationship by making you feel insecure.

2. He told her he was eleven inches, she accepted this at face value, and repeated it to you. This relies on the ex having told the truth about his endowment -- which, as I noted above, is very unlikely to be his actual measurment.

3. She knew he was big, and, having heard various stories about size, she "guesstimated" him at eleven inches. She might not be aware how spectacularly improbable it is that he was actually that big, or maybe she's sub-consciously trying to take you down a peg, an unintentional version of #1.

4. She measured him at eleven inches. This would seem to be open and shut, but remember that her measuring technique might not be the same as yours. Did she start from under the balls, as I've heard some do? (And which was the method used to arrive at John Holmes' claim of 13", I think.) If that's the case, you can safely take off at least two or three inches.

Really, the only way to be certain that she's telling the truth is to have visual proof that the ex is that big, which won't happen. My own feeling is that she's probably doing number three: he's big, but she's just making an outrageous guess that he's 11". The best thing for you to do is just ignore her claim and show you're not bothered by it if it comes up.

B_hungnate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Listen to the man. I definitely agree. A couple times women have guessed my size from looking at it. One of them said 10 in and one said 9.5, and really I'm exactly 8 in. I think a lot of people lie or are just wrong about size. I've been with over a dozen women including some size queens and most of them have said I'm the biggest they've had, and like I said I'm "only" 8 in. So yeah dude, I really doubt her ex was 11 in. She probably just wants to put you down for some reason.

That's unlikely in the extreme. Eleven inches is the penile equivalent of being seven feet tall -- not impossible, certainly, but the percentages are incredibly small. the How did you find this out? Did she tell you? That would lead to a number of possibilities:

1. She's intentionally exaggerating his size for some reason. I don't know why she would do this -- I don't know her, after all -- but she might, for example, be trying to increase her leverage in the relationship by making you feel insecure.

2. He told her he was eleven inches, she accepted this at face value, and repeated it to you. This relies on the ex having told the truth about his endowment -- which, as I noted above, is very unlikely to be his actual measurment.

3. She knew he was big, and, having heard various stories about size, she "guesstimated" him at eleven inches. She might not be aware how spectacularly improbable it is that he was actually that big, or maybe she's sub-consciously trying to take you down a peg, an unintentional version of #1.

4. She measured him at eleven inches. This would seem to be open and shut, but remember that her measuring technique might not be the same as yours. Did she start from under the balls, as I've heard some do? (And which was the method used to arrive at John Holmes' claim of 13", I think.) If that's the case, you can safely take off at least two or three inches.

Really, the only way to be certain that she's telling the truth is to have visual proof that the ex is that big, which won't happen. My own feeling is that she's probably doing number three: he's big, but she's just making an outrageous guess that he's 11". The best thing for you to do is just ignore her claim and show you're not bothered by it if it comes up.

fluoro

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I believe it is common for women to exaggerate penis size.

During casual conversation after a long afternoon of lovemaking, one woman made a mention of my size for the first time - said I was very large. At one point in the conversation I ask "Have you ever had anyone any bigger?" She says " Yes, just one". I inquire how large this other fellow was and she tells me 12 inches. Feeling not so large at that moment, I asked if she was able to take it all and she said yes. I was incredulous. I told her I was shocked that she could take a cock that large - basically a cock and a half of my size. She laughs and says it wasn't that much bigger - I ask her how big does she think I am. She tells me I must be at least 10" long. (8" is more like it)
So this woman (a nurse with a degree in physiology) is either a poor judge of dimension or a little dishonest when it comes to the subject of penis size.
Or another option - she was visualizing the bottom side of my cock and wasn't aware of proper measurement conventions. I have a curved penis that points straight up when I am fully erect which is how she usually saw it. I recall during a wonderful blowjob one day, she placed her elbow at the base of my cock and used her other hand to measure where the tip of my penis hit her forearm. I would look a lot bigger with that approach.

Another time, I had been in conversations with a young lady who was telling me of her deepthroating skills. She asks how big I am, I tell her 8" and she says her boyfriend is about the same size. When we finally hooked up, she acts shocked, tells me I'm huge and way bigger than 8". Unfortunately, she never managed to deepthroat me. I presume based on comments she made, that her boyfriend was really closer to 6".

canon

Sexy Member
Media
I think women are smarter than most guys give them credit. Women know that most guys like to hear compliments about their size. As long as the relationship is going good they will always refer to a guys penis, regardless of it's size, as large.

ONB

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As long as the relationship is going good they will always refer to a guys penis, regardless of it's size, as large.

i agree with you... i think most women are smart enough to stroke the male ego when it comes to penis size. that being said i think both men and women exxagerate. most women do so because they have no real idea of measurements in length and girth (there are even way too many comments on these boards of ex's being 12" long and 8" thick). like has been said... not impossible... just extremely unlikely. or they've been lied to by their partners since most men tend to know roughly what they are but inflate the figures. it ends up skewing peoples overall perception and really causes most of the insecurity that exists around the whole size issue.

andy72663

1st Like
Media
Ok, this is at least somewhat related. I've found that women tend to really over estimate how big I actually am. I have had women voluntarily tell me that I am big. After an ex-girlfriend kept going on about it I asked her, "so, how big do you think I am?" I was amazed when she said 10 inches, because I'm just barely 8 inches, a little over 6 girth. After that, I ask women how big they think it is when I get the "you're really big" comments and almost always its 9 or ten inches that they guess, if not more. Have you guys experienced this? It makes me wonder how acurately they can tell you what they think big is if they don't really know what the actual measurements mean. Anyway, this is a cool thread.

Likewise

Experimental Member
Media

That makes a lot of sense, thanks :smile: