Male Frontal Nudity in Movies accepted more now?

Hapi Papi: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...versanolddebate

Male frontal nudity in the movies uncovers an old debate

By César G. Soriano and Jim Cheng, USA TODAY

Hollywood is fleshing out an old taboo: male frontal nudity.

Four current films feature actors in the full monty:

• In Kinsey (in theaters), a student played by Peter Sarsgaard seduces sex researcher Alfred Kinsey (Liam Neeson). Says Sarsgaard, "We were just sitting around (during filming), and I said, 'I feel I've got to be naked for this.' " There was almost a Neeson nude scene, too. "Liam was perfectly willing, but for budgetary reasons, we cut it, unfortunately," says writer/director Bill Condon. "I know, it is a disappointment."

• In Sideways (in theaters), husky actor M.C. Gainey runs out of the house naked in angry pursuit of Paul Giamatti (news).

• In Alexander (opening Wednesday), Colin Farrell goes buff for a wedding-night sex scene in the Oliver Stone epic. Farrell also filmed a nude scene in his last film, A Home at the End of the World. But that scene was cut after producers thought it was too distracting.

•In Bad Education (opening today; review, 7E), Gael García Bernal doesn't bare all but comes close while preparing for a swim.

While penises are not yet as prevalent as female breasts, they are becoming more accepted.

"It's not about gender," says Moritz Borman, producer of Alexander. "In a mature movie, if some nudity would improve the scene, it wouldn't matter if it were Alexander or Alexandra. A filmmaker would have to consider it."

It's about time, some women say. "As a woman, I'm glad. I want to watch male bodies," says Linda Williams, a film-studies professor at the University of California-Berkeley. "There is a growing eroticism about the male body that hasn't quite existed before."

It may be a form of rebellion in this post-Janet Jackson (news) environment, says Gwendolyn Audrey Foster, a film and feminist studies professor at the University of Nebraska. As in the 1950s, "There's a tremendous amount of repression now. People are upset over seeing Saving Private Ryan. At the same time, you have a popular culture that is pushing boundaries to a degree that doesn't seem to match."

But any trend is just coincidence, says Jim McBride, who runs mr.skin.com, which chronicles nude scenes in film. McBride notes that full-frontal male nude scenes pop up every few years, and most are limited to art-house releases that are rated R or NC-17. Of the current films with male nudity, Bad Education is NC-17, the rest are R.

Foster disagrees and says the trend will continue as more women move into the upper echelons of the male-dominated film industry.

"This general attitude toward pushing things toward the edge is definitely popularizing new images we haven't seen before, taking a look at the human body and looking at men and women equally without objectifying anyone. It's more about artistic license than box office draw," Foster says.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
it's about time. The first frontal i recall seeing was in Basic Instinct (or was it Body of Evidence?) and the guy was laying dead on his bed, but i was still shocked to see a guy exposed in a movie.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, male nude scenes were also popular in the late 60s and 70s. In the 80s and 90s, though, they decided the only acceptable nudity was in sexual situations, and since we don't want to give the guys a homo moment, we'll show only women naked. Oh, there is one escape clause: This all only applies to Caucasians (or as Janet found out, immediate relatives of Caucasians).

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Even in more homo-centric movies like My Own Private Idaho and Total Eclipse, while there is plenty of nudity, there is still a dearth of actual penises, other than in glimpses. I guess the penis is still horrifically frightening to str8 male America, either because they'll be aroused or made to feel inferior if it happens to be bigger than their own. What bullshit.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's been getting pretty liberal out there. I remember the shower scene in Wild things and seeing Kevin Bacon giving a full frontal, and then some. Of course, you realy shouldn't count the very last scene of Boogie Nights with Mark Wahlberg because the "member" in question was fake.

clownboots19: I am a straight, 19 year old male, and I would love to see more full frontal nudity from guys..I mean it is ridiculous, something is so forbidden about seeing a penis, I just don't get it...?? If you can catch a glimpse of a breast during an R rated movie, how can come you can't catch a glimpse of a schlong? I am undecided if this will ever change..., on one hand, things seem to be getting more and more lax with what is ok, or appropriate,...t.v. shows/movies can get away with more than ever, but at the same time with the FCC crackdown, I just don't see it happening.
Anyone agree or disagree?

D_Stavelay Strappon

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Nov 20 2004, 02:49 PM
Even in more homo-centric movies like My Own Private Idaho and Total Eclipse, while there is plenty of nudity, there is still a dearth of actual penises, other than in glimpses. I guess the penis is still horrifically frightening to str8 male America, either because they'll be aroused or made to feel inferior if it happens to be bigger than their own. What bullshit.
[post=264534]Quoted post[/post]​

Totally agree with you.............again.............Madame. *S*
Bry

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by clownboots19@Nov 26 2004, 10:54 AM
I am a straight, 19 year old male, and I would love to see more full frontal nudity from guys..I mean it is ridiculous, something is so forbidden about seeing a penis, I just don't get it...?? If you can catch a glimpse of a breast during an R rated movie, how can come you can't catch a glimpse of a schlong? I am undecided if this will ever change..., on one hand, things seem to be getting more and more lax with what is ok, or appropriate,...t.v. shows/movies can get away with more than ever, but at the same time with the FCC crackdown, I just don't see it happening.
Anyone agree or disagree?
[post=264919]Quoted post[/post]​
Well, I wouldn't compare a breast to a penis! Now, if they show vaginas (not just muffs) in movies, well, argument over.

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If its meat you wanna see in a movie, find a foreign NR rated such as "Romance: Director's Cut". Rocco Siffredi has a nice segment where he unrolls the condom down his lonh shaft and then uses it to advantage on Caroline Ducey. Ducey goes down on her live-in a couple of times, but nothing compares with the scene toward the movie's end that shows a room full of naked, hot, big dicked dudes walking up to the lower section of women's bodies extended through holes in the walls for their use. I dare you to watch without getting a hardon! :p

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've noticed a similar theme with artwork in general throughout time. I havent done any particular studies however, so I can't say for certain. However, it seems to me that majority of nude artwork has been female. Even with those pesky greeks as far as I can recall from my art history classes had far more nude female pieces than male.

The thing I find facinating about it is that nude female artwork is allmost, no .. it is, worshipped. Throughout my training the emphisis has always been on the female form as artwork. So .. why is it that so many religious beliefs are based almost souly on male figures, but then we have this female worship in artwork? Not that I've anything against it, I'm a goddess worshipper myself, but it is kinda strange to find that amung societies that have been forced to view females as weak, in some cases fairly worthless creatures, and certainly inferior to males.

I don't know ... it's a difficult stigma to articulate. I shall have to ponder this further.

Food for thought at least.

blar

Experimental Member
Media
thats great.....but with the way the FCC is targeting anything "bad" we would be lucky to see a naked women in the near future :lol:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ashlar, that is an interesting thought. Orca probably got it right, though. I think women are okay to be seen as beautiful, just not important. Oddly enough, even "those pesky greeks" most portrayed male nudes with fairly small penes. I wonder if even way back then this was a sign of how much men didn't want to believe one bigger than their own existed?

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by blar@Dec 3 2004, 09:27 AM
thats great.....but with the way the FCC is targeting anything "bad" we would be lucky to see a naked women in the near future :lol:
[post=265791]Quoted post[/post]​

Sad but true. I don't see anything wrong with nudity ... even psychologicly speaking for children, on a devlopmental level, it's a good thing for them to see a little nudity ... obviously not sexual, but if i remember correctly it has something to do with the development of how comfortable they are with their bodies as they grow up.

I'll have to look at that again when I'm studying for my psych. final.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Dec 3 2004, 08:47 AM
Ashlar, that is an interesting thought. Orca probably got it right, though. I think women are okay to be seen as beautiful, just not important. Oddly enough, even "those pesky greeks" most portrayed male nudes with fairly small penes. I wonder if even way back then this was a sign of how much men didn't want to believe one bigger than their own existed?
[post=265806]Quoted post[/post]​
Probably goes back to pederasty, actually.