male nurse in hospitals

shawnpaul2

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I worked in a private hospital and rest home with about 150 residents. What I have discovered is that the older female residents (about 80- 100 ) residents do not wish for a male nurse to attend to them also some of the men complain that the female nurse do not wash/shower them properly especially their penis well such as rolling back the foreskin especially if they have are catheterize so they sometimes are a bit smelly. so I end up have to give them a proper shower when ever I'm working on the ward which has a lot of men
do any of you guys who have parents at rest home have these problems or when u go to the hospital do u have a problem with female nurses?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am a Nurse and worked in acute care. I found it was younger females who would sometimes balk at me taking care of them. Older women were fine with having a male Nurse..The thing that would bother me is people saying"Oh youre working as a Nurse until you become a doctor"...I would always say, why would i want to do that?......The other thing that bothered me was people would say, "Are you a MALE nurse?"......My standard reply was "No I'm a registered nurse"

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Just a quick anecdote -- and an alarmingly true one. My father endured 5 separate surgical ablations of the interior of his bladder over 4 years in an attempt to stop a form of bladder cancer that attacked the interior surface tissue like a bad case of fungus. He even had his bladder irrigated with irradiated TB in an attempt to clean up the cancer; sort of like fighting fire with an nuclear weapon.

On his third or fourth visit to the hospital I was sitting with him when a male RN came into his room to change a balloon catheter. In the past, I'd noticed that the catheters inserted in my dad's urethra seemed about half the circumference of a garden hose; far too big for me to feel comfortable to look at. The male RN removed and then inserted a second balloon catheter that was probably 1/4" in circumference. I pointedly asked him why all the previous female nurses had inserted catheters so much larger than the ones he was using. His immediate response was: "Because they can."

From his answer I quickly understood, that while not all RN's are Nurse Ratchets in white orthopedic pumps, many older nurses are tired, overworked, and need long vacations. Therefore, they may or may not consciously take out their frustrations on the patients in their care. However, nursing is a damn hard profession and one that does not get the respect (or pay) that it deserves. Still, after having brachytherapy a year ago thanked my urologist/surgeon for being so kind as to use a small balloon catheter after the procedure just before he yanked the tubing from my rather clown-sized dick. His response was, "What are you talking about? There's no medical reason to use such a larger catheter." I told him exactly what I've written here and his response was, "Ah, yes, Americans. They tend to overdo things, warranted or not."

lilbear

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am a Registered Nurse Practitioner with a Masters in nursing and a PhD in education. I have been a nurse for 35 years and have only had one person request a female nurse. BTW, I did OB/GYN for 16 years and never had one person complain about me doing their exams.

DonkeyWinky

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm a nursing student soon to graduate and find that most patients today have been very supportive regarding male nurses. I myself have 95% of my patients turn into "May West" with a smile (both women and men) and look forward to flirting. While my job is serious, I feel extremely welcomed and get regular compliments. I'm easy on the eye, yet makes me no less professional when it comes to patient care. However to the other extreme, the nursing staff (all women) are resentful, angry, backstabbing and generally dislike male nurses. They're vocal about it, and tend to shun us, often implying we dont have what it takes. I was surprised. Prior to going to nursing school, I'd heard nurses are the most backstabbing, yet shunned it as a few individual's point of view. They're socially cruel to us, yet I just focus on my patients and unfortuately have to work in an environment where you have to treat your fellow nurses (not students) with monotone responses. I look forward to working in a doctor's office, than a hospital!

visualalert

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm a nursing student soon to graduate and find that most patients today have been very supportive regarding male nurses. I myself have 95% of my patients turn into "May West" with a smile (both women and men) and look forward to flirting. While my job is serious, I feel extremely welcomed and get regular compliments. I'm easy on the eye, yet makes me no less professional when it comes to patient care. However to the other extreme, the nursing staff (all women) are resentful, angry, backstabbing and generally dislike male nurses. They're vocal about it, and tend to shun us, often implying we dont have what it takes. I was surprised. Prior to going to nursing school, I'd heard nurses are the most backstabbing, yet shunned it as a few individual's point of view. They're socially cruel to us, yet I just focus on my patients and unfortuately have to work in an environment where you have to treat your fellow nurses (not students) with monotone responses. I look forward to working in a doctor's office, than a hospital!

That's weird - sounds like the women see you as a threat. From your location I'm assuming you're working at PCMH and while the area has grown a lot since I lived there (moved away around 1980, live in the Triangle now), it still has a lot of "country girls" along with a not insignificant community of man-hating lesbians. Maybe you're falling victim to a combination of those. Consider a move to the Triangle or Charlotte areas; you may find less of that provincial attitude. Or hell, maybe not, but at least there are lots more employers competing for your skills.