male pattern baldness

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Many of the very large men I've seen seem to have some level of male pattern baldness. On the surface this seems logical since both (as I understand it) are the result of excess male hormone.

Has anyone else noticed this? Are there any scientists out there willing to weigh in?

drhook: I'm going to have to say -- no. If anything, a natively higher level of the hormone(androgens) would result in a higer sex drive. Also, it is my understanding that men lose their hair as a result of the follicles' receptiveness/affinity towards DHT(as predisposed by genetics), not just a higher level of the hormone in general.

average Joe

Just Browsing
Media
Well, I have, let's say, thinning hair. I wish the hell it would just fall out, but I have the worst type of thinning... the "Monk" look. You know where the front, sides and back are all ok but the crown is going rapidly. Does not matter I guess I cut it way back like I did in the military.

I digress. I am average as far as subject matter in this board. A little on the thick side I am told but average length.

Will this skew the survey in here?!

average Joe

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i have a spot that started to thin out in the back
although i cant call it a bald spot quite yet.
I have thought about trying one of the various
popular ways of treating it; rogaine, propecia (sp?)

Part of me knows it is inevitable, though since
i am the only male on both sides of my family
who is not bald..........yet.
LOL.
When the time comes, i'll shave my head
or get a really close cut.

Mr._dB

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Based on my sample of one, I'd say there is no correlation. I'm 47 years old, am (barely) a member of the "double digit club," and have no signs of male pattern baldness at all.

My dad is 80, similarly endowed, and never lost his hair either.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i would also have to disagree, while my husband is losing some hair in the typical areas, I would say he is quite average - which I absolutely have no problem with as I myself am a petite girl. ^_^

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Different hormones: Dihydrotestosterone, the hormone which causes male pattern baldness, has nothing to do with penis size: If it did, you'd only get bigger in middle age.

No one in my family's bald; my brother always joked that white men were naturally scalped around 40.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
What's funny is, athletes use DHT as a "performance enhancer". And I'm thinking "Who wants to see a bunch of bald, impotent men with prostates the size of my fist playing?"

Donk

Experimental Member
Media
I sure hope there's no connection! I like having hair. Anyway, I think if baldness were known to be an indicator of large penis size, Rogaine and the Hair Club for Men would have been out of business a long time ago.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by BRMSTN69@Jul 16 2004, 05:53 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a bald Native Amrican (unless he shaved his head)
Yeah, like Litefoot shaves his head. As I said, white men come pre-scalped. LOL

Oh, most of us just say Indian. It's not very PC, but I get sick of saying "he or she" or "vertically challenged".

ADAMROML: In regards to the question of correlation between male pattern baldness and penile endowment, I would have to say that there is very little, if any, empirical data that would suggest such a thing. As a corollary, consider the theory that men with small hands have small penises; both theories suggest that there are a bare minimum of genetic molds that human males can fit into.

I am a 27-year-old male, and like my father, started balding in my early twenties. I have a very thin frame and very small hands and features. I wear size 11 shoes. My penis is 1/8 of an inch shy of 8 inches, and 5 and 1/4 inches thick.

Does this suggest anything? Does it mean that anyone else who is an ectomorph and balding with small hands and big feet would naturally have a dick the same size as mine? While it is possible, it is still highly doubtful.

Whatever the case may be, and no matter what the question of correlation is, the answer will always be the same. Each and every human is so different on a genetic level that it would be highly improbable for any pattern to exist.

Ineligible

1st Like
Media
Er, jonb, DHT is involved in penis size - it's what causes the pubertal growth spurt. However, by a mechanism that isn't understood but probably involves another hormone, the penis then becomes insensitive to DHT, and that's why it stops growing. This doesn't happen with the prostate, which keeps growing throughout life.

DHT causes male pattern baldness, but only if you have the gene for it. In most men the hair follicles are insensitive to DHT, but if you have the gene, they are.

getnbiggr: Heh heh... at a gay event here in Toronto, I recently saw an older, balding guy with a GREAT t-shirt. Slogan read:

"Lost the hair.
Kept the big dick."

*chuckle* Figured some folks here might appreciate the humour...

-- J.

Pappy

Media
I've still got a full head of hair at age 52, so not all white men come pre-scalped! I went to school with a dude that was eoeally bald by age 16 and he had a little dick so I would say there is no correlation between baldness and being hung.

tenkiller: I am 42 y.o. and haven't lost a hair, yet. My daddy has thinned a little in the back but not much. He is 70. No one on my mother's side was balding. My mother's brother is 72 and his hair is thick.

LoveGirl: Simply put, I doubt there is the slightest correlation between large penises and male pattern baldness.