Male sexual assault survivors

shard38

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I knew my attacker was bi, I met him through a dating app. It was certainly a matter of power in his case, he got violent when the sex wasn’t entirely to his liking. Also got to know the double standard. When I told my story here most people were very supportive. But I also got a couple of replies telling me it was entirely my own fault for going after casual sex with s stranger. And of course there was the one homophobe (not on this site) who told me it was the rightful punishment for being a sinner and that he’d volunteer to come over and finish the job... I think the victim blaming hit me harder than the threat.

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I knew my attacker was bi, I met him through a dating app. It was certainly a matter of power in his case, he got violent when the sex wasn’t entirely to his liking. Also got to know the double standard. When I told my story here most people were very supportive. But I also got a couple of replies telling me it was entirely my own fault for going after casual sex with s stranger. And of course there was the one homophobe (not on this site) who told me it was the rightful punishment for being a sinner and that he’d volunteer to come over and finish the job... I think the victim blaming hit me harder than the threat.

I think power is the most common one, I don't think it is about sex. Because in your case if it had have been about sex, he would not have got violent and he would have respected your wishes.

Victim blaming is very potent. How has this affected your relationships since? I've found I sometimes have drifted between cold and distant to extremely clingy, both of which were defence mechanisms based on an inability to trust others. It is disgusting that anyone blamed you for it, it is only ever the perpetrator's fault.

In certain respects, I feel lucky for my situation because it was in public on a night out, the guy was known as a pathological liar (lying about everything from his age, to his reasons for emigrating to the fact that he left his wife and 5 children at home). I also luckily didn't get an erection or orgasm, I'm glad none of those things happened. I didn't provide any prior consent at any stage and I didn't meet him through a dating app. I think in those respects it has been easier to remove the guilt from my own side. I'm also lucky that the fight response kicked in and I physically pushed him off at each of the dozen or so acts in a frantic 10 minute long sexual assault, I'm lucky I didn't freeze. But it is tough that many people don't understand the gravity of what happened that night, or how that has affected me since. Of course had any of those things happened, it still would have been entirely his fault, it is never the victim's fault. I did however originally blame myself for silly things though, like not trusting my gut instinct that told me the guy was a creep, I did not believe for a split second I could be a target. I always had my guard up against creepy men in gay clubs, but I didn't in his case. I don't think it is my fault for being trusting or naive. I almost blamed myself as well for going for a piss down an alleyway to try and get away from him. I know that wasn't my fault either and it was silly to blame myself, I'd had a few drinks and it wasn't an invitation for him to grope me.

It was definitely about power as well in my case, he tried to take advantage.

I never even thought about reporting to tell the truth. I speak German fluently but the level of bureaucracy in this country made the idea extremely daunting for me. There was only one witness to the last act of the assault which happened in a bar, but because that was indecent exposure I have no idea if the bar man saw it, and I was in too much shock to contemplate getting the bar man's name. I have no idea who he was,some pretty young blonde guy, which would describe at least half the bar man in gay bars in Germany. I also don't have the phone with a text from him calling me a tease in the immediate aftermath whilst I was still crying in a foetal ball on my bed (that's another reason why I see the attack as homophobic). Plus of course I didn't even know the vocabulary in either German or English to describe what happened. There was also the issue of different legal definitions in England/Scotland and Germany. Under German law the first act of the assault qualifies as rape (it is colloquially often known as digital rape), but in English law that would be called assault by penetration, which often carries the same penalty as rape. Because of this difference, I clung to the defence mechanism of saying "at least it wasn't a rape", so when I read the federal legal codes in Germany (and that is where the assault happened) I found out that I was wrong and it does qualify as rape under German federal law. That revelation happened about 2.5 weeks ago, it frankly hit me like a train in the face. That being the first act of the assault certainly did add a considerable extra layer of trauma to the event. I also still reel from hapnophobia because of that, I've not let consenting partners finger me since. And that that was the first act shows to me that it was about power.

The "friends" I have lost purely focussed on words I had said in a highly distressed state after receiving no empathy, without realising how fucked up it is to tell a sexual violence survivor they're being selfish. I am glad they're out of my life, it feels liberating, I don't have any time for fair weather "friends" in my life. It certainly has been the reactions that have hurt the most.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
without realising how fucked up it is to tell a sexual violence survivor they're being selfish
What was the impetus for anyone to say such a thing? What's the context? There is such an ideological disconnect for me, that I cannot begin to extrapolate any conclusions on my own.

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What was the impetus for anyone to say such a thing? What's the context? There is such an ideological disconnect for me, that I cannot begin to extrapolate any conclusions on my own.

We got in a silly argument about me cooking for them. Because I had offered to cook that was accepted, then plans were changed. I love cooking and wanted to do that as a thank you for crashing at their place for two days. After a fair few back and forth messages, he then said I don't wish to see you for the rest of the holiday. I apologised saying that it was likely PTSD related that I was putting my foot down about it, and reminded him what I had been through and how recently I've opened about all this. Which he knows about. He wouldn't budge, that distressed me. The distress was pretty clear throughout my messages. Then he sent me a message saying I was "selfishly putting him in this position" and that "you shouldn't go on holiday if you break down so easily. Take care". No empathy whatsoever, and that caused me to flip afterwards and say one or two horrible things. I went on holiday to take my mind off things, it seemed like the perfect thing to do. I'm still really disgusted by that comment.

Last edited:

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Crazy story!

Have you been able to mend fences, or is it too broken, and you don't want to?

I honestly think it is too broken, and I have frankly no guilt whatsoever in it. If anything it is refreshing to rid myself of fair weather "friends". I try always to be as understanding and comforting as I can possibly be for friends, even ones I don't know that well, when they fall on hard times. For me, it is an acid test, if you fail to be there when it matters, bye bye. I've relayed the story to other friends of mine, they're pretty disgusted by my "friends'" reaction too.

There is a quote that I find very poignant for this by Ulysses S. Grant:

“The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity.”

We got in a silly argument about me cooking for them. Because I had offered to cook that was accepted, then plans were changed. I love cooking and wanted to do that as a thank you for crashing at their place for two days. After a fair few back and forth messages, he then said I don't wish to see you for the rest of the holiday. I apologised saying that it was likely PTSD related that I was putting my foot down about it, and reminded him what I had been through and how recently I've opened about all this. Which he knows about. He wouldn't budge, that distressed me. The distress was pretty clear throughout my messages. Then he sent me a message saying I was "selfishly putting him in this position" and that "you shouldn't go on holiday if you break down so easily. Take care". No empathy whatsoever, and that caused me to flip afterwards and say one or two horrible things. I went on holiday to take my mind off things, it seemed like the perfect thing to do. I'm still really disgusted by that comment.
I think that what is going on here is that because your emotional distress is caused by a sexual assault, your style of communication and your way of expressing that distress is being harshly judged. Were you calm and matter of fact about it then that would be judged just as harshly. However you do it, it's always going to be wrong to someone. Some people expect you to cry hysterically and commit suicide; deviate from that and you're a liar and a weirdo. Others expect you to be raging with anger, or it probably didn't happen. Some expect you to be almost comically serious about it and not put the kettle on and start eating biscuits halfway though your account. You cannot win.

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think that what is going on here is that because your emotional distress is caused by a sexual assault, your style of communication and your way of expressing that distress is being harshly judged. Were you calm and matter of fact about it then that would be judged just as harshly. However you do it, it's always going to be wrong to someone. Some people expect you to cry hysterically and commit suicide; deviate from that and you're a liar and a weirdo. Others expect you to be raging with anger, or it probably didn't happen. Some expect you to be almost comically serious about it and not put the kettle on and start eating biscuits halfway though your account. You cannot win.

You're right, too many differences in how people expect you to react.

One thing I was told by another far more noble and valued friend. She said to me "the selfish comment is a classic. It's like they acknowledge it exists and feel bad but they don't want to acknowledge how it manifests."

I think another thing that a lot of people don't get, is you can seem "fine" for a couple days, then afterwards get really distressed suddenly. At no point have I had constant distress, don't think that would be possible. There certainly have been points where I have had more distressed moments than happy moments, and where I was in a far worse state than I was now (losing weight, not sleeping, night terrors etc). It has got better, but I do sometimes find myself getting distressed still, which is obviously normal. But explaining all these trauma signs I've been through, didn't register.

Plus frankly I did apologise for being stubborn about the cooking v restaurant thing, but he didn't accept it. Then the other two overly focussed on the wrong things. So frankly, screw them, I need more valuable and reliable friends in my life. Luckily I have quite a few.

shard38

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I did loose two close friends during that time, but there were also other issues involved there. It is true I did react more emotional to arguments. I also was unable to be there for a friend who went through a crisis of his own. I’m really sorry I lost him as a friend, but my other friends have noticed I’ve been far more relaxed and open since he’s gone.

In terns of trust it’s a double thing; I stopped being open and adventureous concerning sex. I stopped the cruising, stopped going to clubs and parties by myself, stopped organizing things. I only have sex now with trusted partners and always at my home. In relationship terms I somehow disconnected sex and love. Sex has become something of a commodity, a fun thing to do like eating. Love is at another level and at the moment thinking about love and sex at the same time almost feels like a violation. Sex has indeed become more connected to power, where love is about equality. But maybe that will change when the right person comes along.

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I did loose two close friends during that time, but there were also other issues involved there. It is true I did react more emotional to arguments. I also was unable to be there for a friend who went through a crisis of his own. I’m really sorry I lost him as a friend, but my other friends have noticed I’ve been far more relaxed and open since he’s gone.

In terns of trust it’s a double thing; I stopped being open and adventureous concerning sex. I stopped the cruising, stopped going to clubs and parties by myself, stopped organizing things. I only have sex now with trusted partners and always at my home. In relationship terms I somehow disconnected sex and love. Sex has become something of a commodity, a fun thing to do like eating. Love is at another level and at the moment thinking about love and sex at the same time almost feels like a violation. Sex has indeed become more connected to power, where love is about equality. But maybe that will change when the right person comes along.

This was me from early on for the same or similar reasons. Finding my way back has been a life's work. I can't tell you what to do or not to do but I can share my own experience. I hoped for the man who would bring sex and love together. I learned through a few unfulfilled relationships that this man was me. Therapy and lots of work. Still getting there

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So sorry to hear that, @Nudistpig I know it will be up to me to combine the two again, but at the moment there’s no one to even fhink about in terms of romantic love.

They will come :).

Personally I feel more optimistic about my next relationships, because I consciously understand how that experience has affected the ones I've had since it. So I vaguely feel more in the right place now than I have been for 4.5 years.

Reactions: Nudistpig

Jaimdoggie

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It happened to me, too. I was physically, emotionally and sexually abused by a variety of Priests during my youth. It made chastity impossible.