Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but I was on Yahoo this morning, and I ran across this article:

First man ‘functionally cured’ of HIV - Yahoo! News

Apparently this guy was cured of HIV. Go and read the article see for yourself.

What do you think? It seems like it was a one in a million chance that this happened, but how cool would it be if they could figure out how to harness this and make an actual cure?

I'm not sure if that'd even be possible, but this article gives me hope for those who have HIV, and that there may be something on the horizon to help with it.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have a very good friend who is a research scientist. I just sent the article to him via e-mail. I'll be interested to hear his views as I know that his group is studying bone marrow and stem cell immunity.
I hope it's a step for finding a cure for everyone. Thanks for posting.

Red_Rebel

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm sure there are more similar ground breaking stories out there about AIDS/HIV cures...can anyone share them please.

*And can someone please clarify to me why this article states that about 1% of CAUCASIANS are immune to the disorder?

@JamesHawket...Thanks a lot for this interesting article.

jameshawket

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
*And can someone please clarify to me why this article states that about 1% of CAUCASIANS are immune to the disorder?

I think how they explained it in the article is that it goes back to the days of the black plague, or a plague similar to HIV in Europe many hundreds of years ago where people developed immunities to the plagues, and so it passed down genetically, and since Caucasians were the primary race in Europe during that time, it would be them who would have the genetic immunity now.

Red_Rebel

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Interesting stuff, I'm sure this sort of knowledge has been around for sometime and there has got to be a way out there for them to replicate this sort of miraculous effect. -_- It's just sad how delayed the treatment comes about.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
A German man has apparently been cured of HIV by a bone marrow transplant from one of the 1% of the population immune to the virus. May be the best news in 30 years

Original English Thick Cut

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This is sort of old news, however it is providing researchers with another possible direction in the hunt for a cure / vaccine. There was just recently a monkey test which has promising results and may, (fingers crossed) lead to a vaccine withing 5 years.

Howver, before we become too smug about our ability to control nature we should take a deep breath. I suspect within 20-25 years of controlling HIV, nature will strike back with another killer pathogen. We live in a closed environment, nature will attempt to balance all forms of life.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
Not old news at all. Timothy Ray Brown is the first person in the world to have the hiv virus completely eliminated from his body. The doctors are describing the procedure as a "functional cure" for hiv. Sounds like a new and exciting advance to me.