Man dies after 3-day gaming binge

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What a shame. I wonder what his final score was? And was it worth his life . . . :frown1:

Man dies after 3-day gaming binge
  • <LI class=cnnhiliteheader>Story Highlights
  • Medics fail to revive 30-year-old man at cyber cafe in Guangzhou, southern China
  • Beijing News reports he had been playing games online for three days
  • China has 140 million Internet users, second only to the U.S.
  • Several cities have clinics to treat what has been dubbed "Internet addiction"
BEIJING, China (AP) -- A man in southern China appears to have died of exhaustion after a three-day Internet gaming binge, state media said Monday.

The 30-year-old man fainted at a cyber cafe in the city of Guangzhou Saturday afternoon after he had been playing games online for three days, the Beijing News reported.

Paramedics tried to revive him but failed and he was declared dead at the cafe, it said. The paper said that he may have died from exhaustion brought on by too many hours on the Internet.

The report did not say what the man, whose name was not given, was playing.

The report said that about 100 other Web surfers "left the cafe in fear after witnessing the man's death."

China has 140 million Internet users, second only to the U.S.. It is one of the world's biggest markets for online games, with tens of millions of players, many of whom hunker down for hours in front of PCs in public Internet cafes.

Several cities have clinics to treat what psychiatrists have dubbed "Internet addiction" in users, many of them children and teenagers, who play online games or surf the Web for days at a time.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
spacer.gif

Find this article at:
Man dies after 3-day gaming binge - CNN.com

SyddyKitty

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I laughed at this when it was new. One of my games, made in korea, recently added "Playing this game for more than 1 hour may be hazardous to your health.". It was because of this. :p I'm an avid gamer (raised on games since Age 3)... but I still have a grounding in reality, so I know when to "pull out" of that temptress. xD

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The report said that about 100 other Web surfers "left the cafe in fear after witnessing the man's death."

That's one hell of a cautionary tale.

One thing though. I understand the other websurfers leaving the cafe (um, dead guy - kinda puts a pall on things), but out of fear? Did they think it was a virus?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wonder if the little old Chinese ladies that hog the slot machines in Vegas read this? I'm going to hell for that I know.
hahaha In Atlantic City those slot hogging little old ladies are Jewish and Italian. :biggrin1:

That's one hell of a cautionary tale.
One thing though. I understand the other websurfers leaving the cafe (um, dead guy - kinda puts a pall on things), but out of fear? Did they think it was a virus?
I dunno. Maybe they were just literally distancing themselves from an unpleasant situation.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Here in Louisiana, it's all those darn Wal-Mart wenches hogging the slut machines.

I'm gonna catch hell for that one!! :biggrin1:

SyddyKitty

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I might just do a 3 day Marathon next week when Halo 3 comes out.
DJG and Burnside might just be along for the ride.:wink:

So if we perish, remember us well!:biggrin1:
I shall honor your memories by taking your 360's and any other techno-toys i can find. :3 They'll go to good use and I MIGHT remember who I got them from... xD R.I.P. Burnside! Stickying teh nubs in heaven.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I can clearly remember 24 hour Quake and Combat Flight Simulator sessions with online friends from around the world. Afterwards, I'd emerge from my office bug-eyed and unshaven, weary but emotionally revved up from the combat.