Man donates sperm to son for grandchild

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Man donates sperm for grandchild
    A 72-year-old man has agreed to become a sperm donor for his own "grandchild".

The anonymous man wishes to donate his sperm to his son and daughter-in-law who have yet been unable to conceive a child through IVF.

Any baby born using the sperm would be the grandfather's genetic child and its father's half brother.

The sperm is being screened at the London Women's Clinic, where the couple, who are in their 30s and wish to remain anonymous, are being treated.

Preliminary tests suggest the sperm is viable - it is not uncommon for men to continue to produce healthy sperm into their 70s and 80s.
    Dr Kamal Ahuja, co-medical director of the clinic, said they had spent many months of discussion with independent bodies and ethics committees before reaching the decision go ahead with the treatment.

Keeping the identity of the child similar to their own was a huge factor
    Dr Peter Bowen-Simkins

Colleague Dr Peter Bowen-Simkins said he had never come across a case like this before.

But advancements in fertility treatment meant people were now willing to consider all kinds of options.

He said: "Obviously the wife's mother-in-law also had to be included in all the conversations but she has no objections.

"Society has also changed its perceptions of what is and what is not acceptable.

"In this case, keeping the identity of the child similar to their own was a huge factor.

"The husband does not have a brother, which is why he chose his own father to assist."

No ruling necessary

A spokeswoman for the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA), which regulates the fertility sector, said it did not need to approve the decision.

Donations from family members - such as sisters giving each other their eggs - are allowed under the law, she said.

Once a donor has consented to the use of his sperm for fertility treatment, he has no legal or parental rights over any children born using his sperm.

Upon reaching the age of 18, the child has the right to find out the identity of their donor father.

Dr Allan Pacey, senior lecturer at the University of Sheffield and Secretary of the British Fertility Society, said the ethics did not bother him, but safety concerns did.

"At the genetic level, sperm from older men is not as good as sperm from someone in their 25s.

"There is growing data to show sperm from older men increases the risk of miscarriage and the chances of the child having disease, as well as reducing the chances of IVF working.
    "Ideally, from a best practice point of view, donors should not be older than 40."

Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC NEWS | Health | Man donates sperm for grandchild

Published: 2007/10/05 14:54:25 GMT

© BBC MMVII

MidwestGal likes this.
  2. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

Well if his son and his daughter-in-law are willing to go this way then I suppose it is okay although it may be rough explaining it fully to the child when he or she gets older and is told what mom and dad did.

It is interesting since I wonder if the parents will be open and forthcoming with their child I noticed in your article NJQT that the law there in England says that the child can legally find out who the donor was when they reach 18. Are the parents gong to tell the child who the actual father is or keep the entire incident quiet? Since all parties are anonymous there won't be news articles which could keep the child in the not knowing darkness forever.

3. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

They're probably hoping if they raise him to believe his mother is his mother and his father is his father (and not his grandfather), he might never question it.

Sounds pretty fucked up to me. If people can't conceive naturally, someone is trying to tell them something.

4. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think 72 year old sperm is not the best...and why hand down a greek tragedy to the kid. Doesn't the guy just have a good buddy that can fuck his wife for the cause???

5. Gisella

Gold Member

Wow..I think this act is just great.

There are already so many arranjaments in family dinamics as grandparents taking care of grandchilds for one motive or another because of parents absence as others members of family for so many many centuries...than is just a mere detail in my mind the baby being brother of the father and son of the grandfather..etc etc its just all in the family and that is it.

:smile:

6. snoozan

Gold Member

i agree with gisella. in my opinion, it's similar to a family member donating a kidney to someone. sure, the family and parents could fuck up the kid's psyche with this situation, but they could do that with any number of things. It's all about how it's handled.

I'm more in favor of adoption than any sort of IVF, but I can't fault a couple for wanting a child that shares their genes.

7. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I've had to think about this a bit, but I'm pretty sure that I agree with both of you on this. :smile:

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    It certainly sounds a lot better than the ghetto scenarios over here where kids grow up believing their grandmother is their mom and their mother is their older sister...

9. naughty

Gold Member

HG, yes there are many cases where children have been put in this type of situation but I do not believe it is segregated only to the ghetto. I take my hat off to families who for whatever reason are attempting to keep families in tact and not have their grandchildren, nieces or nephews go into foster care. Until we walk a mile in another's shoes ...

10. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I agree with being more in favor of adoption. I've never understood that "takes-precedence-over-any-other-consideration" compulsion to have shared genes.

I do have to wonder, though, how many of their supporters would throw complete hissy fits if they decided to let dear old dad make that baby the old-fashioned way - fucking his daughter-in-law until she's knocked up.

11. snoozan

Gold Member

I don't really get it either. I am very much happy that my son is biologically mine. I like that he has my skin and his father's hair, and there's just something magical about the whole thing. With that said, if we have another child, we will be adopting, and I can't see loving that child any less or him/her being any less magical than my biological son is. It's just different.

That's interesting. I imagine a lot of people would change their minds because it's suddenly not the clinical passing on of similar genes but RAW INCESTUOUS FUCKING. Eh, whatever. I wouldn't want to bang my father in law, but if it's that important to someone else, fine.

12. Smythy1610

Smythy1610 New Member

Very interesgin discussion.

Just to mix things up a bit. I am wondering if anyone in that family unit has considerd the recent studies that have linked the age of the biological father at time of conception with schitzophrenia. Men over the age of about 50 (if I recall correctly) have a two or three fold chance of fathering a child with that dissorder, regardless of the age of the mother. "Viable" sperm is one thing, age induced genetic defects within it is another. Let Grandad fiddle with his wife or mistress. For the sake of the child, genetic material donation should be left to younger men (and women). In my opinion, no adult has a "right" to have a child. It is a privelege for those capable of nurturing and supporting, and a big responsibility. But ALL children have a right to loving supporting parents, adopted or not.

Smythy1610

13. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    to each his own, we all have our own views. Since it's the paternal grandfather I see no real genetic problems. As long as the family are willing to take the ramifications of how the child will react. Grandpa will probably be gone when this child reaches age of consent to find out "who" his real dad is. As long as this child is raised in a loving environment who are we to say whether what they are doing is wrong or right. They are the ones who have choosen it is right for them.

I would assume if they are at the IVF stage that they have probably been trying to have a baby for years. Mom maybe reaching 35 when a lot of genetic problems can happen. At least with IVF they can screen for any genetic problems prior to implantation.

As for adoption, if they want a baby it may take years and years. Many people won't take older children or ones who have problems such as a crack baby. Many states won't allow adoption through the state after one parent reaches the age of 40.

I've heard far disgusting and disturbing stories than this one and NO I don't think the baby should be concieved the old fashioned way under this circumstances. Sorry that would be just wrong in my book!

I've opened up a lot of my views since coming to this forum. If they can deal with telling their child that then it's their business....period!

14. snoozan

Gold Member

I was under the impression that the biggest predictor for schizophrenia is the frequency of it within the biological family of the person afflicted with the disease.

15. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

A family history may cause the majority of cases but the older a man is the more likely it is that his sperm will create a child with schizophrenia:

BBC NEWS | Health | Older father schizophrenia link

Again, if people can't conceive naturally maybe they should resign themselves to fate? Rather than risking all kinds of psychological problems and trauma just because of their own selfishness.

16. Gisella

Gold Member

What people wish about having babies and the many times great lenghts they go throu is their own business...I do supose they keep trying by IVF because they have strong motivation for doing so...but not so very much as to DC...:biggrin1: suggested..the grandpa and mom do it naturale way...humm...if the mom were into that and just having a baby anyways she would choose any other male..why the grandpa is because of her husband, of course.

Plus incest babies still happens in many circunstances for long long time and are tabus and etc worse scenario is a woman having her own father and brother babies ...that to me is really a hard emotional duty stressful scenarion, just to imagine it to what it feels to women in those situations...but baby is born ...by the time she/he is here is up to adults to take good care of them and love them.

The thing I know is that baby arrive in this planet a whole lot because they were conceived and get to be born. Many times the "perfect" scenario is a big mess and very dysfunction families dynamics...people will carry baggages anyways some big others smaller. But in the end we must do our house cleaning anyways as recuperating from whatever we must recuperate anyways to walk a healthy as possible walk and to make our own unique contributions. If we got the opportunity to be born we do count as living, hopefuly a cool balanced person...please somebody hold at least the sickos at birth canal or other birth exit!

We never know when we pass by driving and see soooo many residencial buildings and peoples homes what is trully going on inside each of them...that to me can be scary mostly because detective shows, some thriller movies, my imagination plus the real news day in day out going on too.

Many possibilities in family dinamics if we add in the picture incest as other stuff as abuse, violence .. and the next door neighboors many times never could possibly imagine anything "like that" was hapening inside the nice tranquil family on house # 1278...

yep...the grass is not greener next door after all...:worried:

17. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    Most of the people who would make better parents are the ones who can't physically have their own. Better than the way some people just go on hurting the children they have and should love.

I was blessed to be able to have a son, he was a pleasant surprise 3 years earlier in the marriage than planned. But he is the best little guy and the reason I am so determined to keep going and make our life much better than it was with his father. His father is a selfish, abusive, jerk who does not appreciate the gift of the child that he has.

I do agree adoption is a good choice as well. I wish families that truely wanted children and can provide for them would have an easier time and the state wouldn't keep giving these families that do harm to their children more chances and cause more damage and long term mental ramifications to that child, more chances to fuck them up.

Children are a gift and should never be used by a parent to hurt the other parent or to take advantage of the government just to get a bigger paycheck every month!

But realistically, many loving people can't have their own kids and are not able to adopt as easy because people are getting married later on in life. If they do a private adoption many times the mother changes her mind.

I respect a family who tries to have children that will raise their children in a loving environment and you never know one of these children may oneday shape the world to be a better and more tolerant place!

18. snoozan

Gold Member

To add to what thatgal said, sometimes adoption can be as much or more of a hardship than all the fertility treatments available today-- especially if you have insurance that covers the fertility treatments.

MidwestGal likes this.
  19. Principessa

Gold Member

:rolleyes: Don't kid your self this goes on in very wealthy familites as well. Where do you think the ghetto people learned such behavior?

I disagree, but then again I'm quite abit older than you. I have friends who have experienced the tragedy of being infertile, not to mention the devastation emotionally and financially of artificial insemination and IVF.

I think I read a story on Literotica - 100% free sex stories, erotic audio, adult fiction with wifeslut, bdsm, etc! with that exact plot line. :rolleyes: IMHO, it's barely tolerable as fiction, as a real life option it's a little too Deliverance/Ozark Hillbilly for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted