Man loses 'everything' in Craigslist hoax

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Surreal, but perhaps not entirely unsurprising. I think 'lost everything' is artistic license, he clearly still has his horse. :cool:

Still, I can't help but smile at the gall of those he intercepted - refusing to return his property because they thought they had the right to take it, based on a printout! I wonder, how did people get into his home, was it unlocked, did they force entry?

Man loses everything in Craigslist hoax - vnunet.com

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How did they get into his house? They had to have broken in. That should have been the first clue that something was awry.

I would have called 911 and beat those MF's off with a stick if I had to. No way would I stand there and let those fools rob me blind.

One question: Is he recently divorced? Or is he an unscrupulous contractor who pissed off the wrong client? I'm not saying he isn't the victim in this; but things like this don't just happen to 'nice' people.

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow. Does homeowner's insurance cover that - would they treat it as a theft? Poor guy.
"Any items can be returned "no questions asked" but police said that prosecutions will follow if people fail to do so."

If the items aren't returned it IS theft and if insurance doesn't cover it then it's not worth having

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wonder what he did to someone that would've created the situation in the first place. It's a matter of someone either getting even or playing a joke on the guy.

I agree with NJ, nobody home, it's breaking and entering at the very least. What's wrong with those people ? Even if the items are for charitable donation, the property is locked and shouldn't be breached.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Against Craigslist - I doubt it. Against the person who posted the hoax - I'd hope so.

unquestionably against the person he has one, Craigslist should (IMO) be responsible in some way for the things that occur on its site, where people are harmed from it.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Home owners insurance will cover theft but only up to a certain amount for certain things.

For example:

Jewlery - most policies will only cover up to 2,500 on average unless it's specifically endorsed for more.

Furs - will be covered only up to a specific amount and then will need to be endorsed.

Guns - same thing.

Collectibles - same thing.

There are more than this but this is what comes to mind right off the bat.

Remember that all these things will need to be appraised and a copy of the appraisal will need to be given to the insurance company.

The other thing is does he have actual cash value or replacement cost. For example:

I bought a tv 8 years ago and I have it insured for actual cash value. So in todays dollars my tv, if I'm lucky, is probably only going to be worth $50. If I have replacement cost I get a new TV.

This is why I go over all my policies with insurance agent on a yearly basis. I bought my home ten years ago and it's gone up in value every year but my home owners policy did not keep up with the value of the home automatically. So each year I work with my agent to make sure it's properly protected.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There are people in rural areas, sounds like this guy with a horse is one on them, where people do not lock their doors. Some people never lock it, even when they leave home. I did a thread about it a long time ago and some people here do not lock their doors.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
unquestionably against the person he has one, Craigslist should (IMO) be responsible in some way for the things that occur on its site, where people are harmed from it.

In principle I'd agree. But I'm sure their TOS will be worded to avoid such liability - except perhaps in terms of gross negligence in which case a claimant would (presumably) need to prove 'Craigslist' knew the 'listing' was a hoax, that actual loss would occur and yet did nothing.

In the way Ebay is not liable for any disputes and losses resulting from transactions that occur on its websites. If such websites were directly liable I doubt the Internet would be what it is today. Take LPSG for example, if a member meets another as result of an LPSG personal, and is 'hurt', is LPSG liable?

Like most forms of interaction, it's at the whim of human nature.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are people in rural areas, sounds like this guy with a horse is one on them, where people do not lock their doors. Some people never lock it, even when they leave home. I did a thread about it a long time ago and some people here do not lock their doors.

I know. Regardless, it's still illegal entry.:smile:

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe I'm just pissy, but I'd have had a shotgun ready to shoot the Motherfucker's tires out, and then called the cops about my house being broken into, like NJQT said. It's one thing, you know if you're giving stuff away, but it's a whole other story when your place is broken into while you're still living there.
It's called breaking and entering.
And carries jailtime no matter where you are.