Manager Infatuation

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
helgaleena: Yeah, I'm absolutely waiting for him to do something different/new now. Nothing more on my part until then. A friend of mine said he may have done that to keep 'professionalism'. I'm the only one at work who is a FB friend of his, after all. Also, though his status doesn't define his religion or orientation/interests, all of his family and most of his friends among his FB friends list are listed as christian/baptist, and the majority of their posts and comments have 'jesus', 'God', or 'pray' in them - meaning he's completely associated with a lot of bible-thumpers (no offense to those who may apply), and that may mean he doesn't want them to think he's associated with a gay guy because of my post.

bigbulgelicker45: They are not. I have posts on my wall from over a year ago, and I can still view them. And G and L are definitely straight - they're very trustworthy, though.

Last edited:

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I don't see him very often..he's not married (I have no idea if he's in a relationship at all...we haven't talked too much)

update; ...potentially bad.
weeks ago I posted on E's FB wall asking how his holidays went; there was never a replying comment..couple of days ago (..people bomb me with questions..at work about girls I should be interested in... they didn't know that I'm gay) I posted my status stating "FYI for the malinformed,..I'm gay. So while I appreciate the notion to hook me up with girls, it won't happen."

Yesterday morning ...my post on his wall regarding his holidays was deleted, which apparently he did. E is off the rest of the week, so I don't have a chance to see him in person. I didn't get blocked, unfriended, or messaged. bad news, assuming I upset him in some way.

The intriguing news: coworker G (the Starbucks)...told me that he and L (starbucks)..thought E is gay...G said E is very 'touchy' - that he puts his hand on other guys' backs, but he's done it to me once..
Though honestly, 'touchy' people aren't necessarily gay...But too much gossip could be dangerous, so I kept the conversation brief and ensured that G would be confidential about knowing my interests.

I didn't know people could delete FB wall ...So I'm completely backing off at this point and seeing if he acts different or as if nothing happened. Yes, I could send him an email on FB, but at this point it's very iffy; if he is mad/upset with me, I could piss him off more. If he's not, and I send an apologetic or questioning email, he may be confused/disturbed. Therefore there really isn't anything I can do right now except wait.

Waiting will achieve nothing Auron. You have a relationship to build. You seldom encounter E at work, but you like each other. If you want to be part of his private life stop beating around the bush and get to know him IRL and on line in a personal way. Questioning E about an aspect of his private life on a facebook wall, for all and sundry to see and comment on, was no way to go about this. You need to set yourself apart from the maddening crowd. You should have gone via private and personal communication instead. It's not too late to do this of course - and don't go apologetic in the email please. In trusting and learning about each other I hope you will forge a friendship.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Tonight was an interesting step toward friendship with E, but before I explain what happened, let me explain what caused tonight to happen..

I requested work off for the weekend to spend time with my friends down in Arlington (I live in Frisco, TX; lived in Arlington until last year, just before I turned 21). Saturday was my friend J's 21st birthday, so the whole gang was joining together. My best friend from highschool (whom I fell in love with during HS, had a shakey friendship, and stayed as friends in the end - I'll call him D) didn't show up because he apparently had begun spreading hateful rumors about me being gay. Which, quite frankly, pissed me off. Drinking that night got my mind off of it, but I've been stressed about it lately.

Normally I handle stress well, but because E was at work today and I was afraid he might be mad at me, my emotions kindof locked up and I apparently looked 'as if someone in my family died' anytime he was nearby because I felt awkward. He asked me a couple of times during the work day (he was at work for my entire shift today) if I was okay, and when I clocked out a few hours ago to go home he asked me if I had free time. He had me follow him to the back section (Receiving/Storage) of the store for a private conversation and wanted to know what was going on.

I told him that I was gay, which he was completely nonchalant about, and the situation with D. E talked to me about it, and I told him some background info about where I'm from, what happened, etc. He just wanted to make sure that I don't keep showing a negative look while at work what with customers (although I only really got stressed out when E was around me). I was too afraid/cautious to tell him the whole truth about my interest in him.

Anyhow, several times during the conversation he assured me that he wouldn't tell anyone else about the fact that I'm gay or the issue with D, and said if I ever needed to talk about something that he's all ears. So instead of him being angry at me (which is a possibility I leaned on and feared), he's concerned for my well being and wants to assure trust with him. This still doesn't have any significance on whether or not he's gay, but a friendship is certainly starting. Even if he isn't, he's a very nice and trusting man that I can talk to; I haven't really made many friends in the area since I moved here, and certainly not ones I can talk personal things to (yet).

After I went home I sent E a thank you email on FB for his concern, and threw in stuff stuff about hobbies I have to keep things off my mind.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Didn't see him for very long at work yesterday, but I caught him staring at me several times during work. Today he showed concern for me by asking if I felt any better today, and when he left (since I came in later today, he yet again went home shortly after I came in) he went out of his way in the parking lot to walk up to me and say bye - which he hasn't done since I've started working there. He told me a few things I should probably do (work-wise), then gave me a stare while walking away - a stare where he was turning his head toward me as he walked away.

I guess you could say it was the kind of stare like he had something going on in the back of his mind, or wanted to say something but didn't. Personally, I don't stare at anyone for more than a second after having a brief few words with them, but he stared for about 5-6 seconds while walking away. I don't know what that means. It wasn't a frowned stare, or a smiling stare - just an inquisitive type of stare.

Since he seems to only work a few days a week, I probably won't see him the rest of the week. But I think he may start talking to me more in the future.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When I was on my lunch today he told another coworker (we were all within talking distance) that I've been in a bad mood this week and that I need to cheer up, and that she should mentor me. Not sure why he said that, but she ended up sitting next to me as he left and she went into a depressing story about the divorce she's going through, and tried making me open up. I was really confused because he initiated something that was almost a forced 'open up your problems with her' deal.

Later he was outside and was talking with me, telling me he was somewhat hiding away from work and joking about it, saying he had 3 more hours to go. Weird, I'm used to him being the dedicated and hard working guy.

Lastly, when I was leaving work he yet again asked me if I was okay, told me to drive safe (we got some crazy amount of rain in DFW area of texas, but I live 7min away from work), and finally said bye. I'm noticing an increased trend of him talking to me, or at least trying to give attention to me. I'm not sure I totally understand why.

Late in the evening, actually not too long before I'm posting this, I was talking online with a coworker and she said that he's been giving less attention to some people he normally talks with, and that he probably is becoming fond of me since he's somewhat giving me more attention. To what extent, neither of us know, but it's reassuring. She also gave me some info about how odd he can be, and the fact that he used to be married but got divorced - apparently he came home one day and his wife decided that they should get divorced. This info was kind of thrown at me unexpectedly though, and I'm trying not to learn too much about him from other people.

Not much news, but I suppose he's still showing concern for me.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Worked with E the entire day again, seems to be a Monday type of thing now. Yet again he asked me if I was okay when I was sitting outside on my break, still showing concern for me. Why? No idea.

While I'm at work I tend to try and subtly look at him when he's not looking when he's around, but today he caught me looking at him about a DOZEN times. Each time we made eye contact, sometimes locked for about 2-3 seconds until I looked away. I think by now he can tell that I look at him a lot, especially after today. I have no idea if he minds me looking at him but he gives me eye contact every time he catches me.

When I clocked out for the day, he was near the timeclock, and as I walked past him I said "G'night, E (except his real name)". He replied with, "Heading out? See you later, buddy." He's never referred to me as anything other than my first name before; put me in a really good mood realizing that he's comfortable enough to call me 'buddy'.

Still minor stuff, but it's potential progress.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
bardox14: No, I don't. It's a large part of what makes this whole situation confusing. But the other day I sent him a email telling him that I'm attracted to him, and apologizing if it causes confusion or disgust. I don't know if he's read it yet, but if he has, he took it well. As for his smiles.. definitely. It's like pushing my Happy button.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Also forgot to mention about a weird happening the other day. Apparently some customer left a full (real) Christmas tree and a denim jacket in a cart. My coworker showed it to me, and he ended up asking E if he wanted a Christmas tree. E said no thanks, and then I asked "what about a denim jacket?" E told us that he doesn't wear anything denim at all and left it at that. Not sure if that indicates anything, other than he values what he wears.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
No denim eh? Not blue collar then. All this eye contact is a definite good sign. But you MUST get this away from work asap. He's divorced so your hopes are not completely unrealistic. Too soon to count your chickens though.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Today and tomorrow I work opening shifts for the first time at this job, and E is one of the couple of people I'll be working with all morning tomorrow. Apparently he assists heavily in the front end as the only other cashier when he opens, so this may be a good time to actually get to know him. A coworker I've discussed this entire situation with and trust is also opening with E and I tomorrow morning, and she says that he's usually more talkative in the opening shifts when business is waking up - I normally only see him during our chaotic hours.

Yesterday I was in a bitter mood due to a pain in my shoulder and general lack of energy, and I didn't see E that much. However, when I thought he wasn't in the store, he crept up behind me about an hour into my shift and said "Hi Michael!" in a low voice; it almost scared me because I didn't expect it, nor did I even know he was there.

When he was on his lunch break he sat in the Starbucks and was on the phone a bit, but I noticed he was staring at me most of his lunch.

A final note before I leave for work: I've sent him 3 emails on Facebook, and one email to his personal email (the one telling him about my feelings) in the past 6 weeks. I've yet to have any sort of response, in-person or otherwise - so I don't know if he's read any of them at all, or is just holding back any response because he's shy, or maybe he's just being professional and brushing them off entirely. I don't know, it's confusing. Off to work now.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Wait for the emails to be acknowledged. At Myspace, you can tell if it's been read or not. Don't know how it is at Facebook. Three is a lot at once, looks a bit desperate. Patience and bon chance!

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Okay, today I could almost swear E was stalking me. Not in a bad way, but it was certainly odd.

I came in to work at 6:30am like I've been doing since last Friday, and he knew I was working today because we had a schedule-tag conversation about when we'd see each other next as I left on Saturday: he said he'd see me tomorrow (Sunday), but I said I had that day off. Then he said he'd see me Tuesday because he had Monday off, and I said I had Tuesday off too. Then he said he'd see me Wednesday, and agreed. That's when I went home. As the opening routine goes, I go to the back of the store to get a cart, cleaning supplies, etc to clean the bathrooms and empty out trashcans in the whole store.

When I had collected my supplies and went back into the store, E was right in front of the door doing something at the shelf. I told him "Good morning, E" and he responded "Hey, you doing alright?" -- at this I still believe he's referring to my well-being in extended relation to the conversation we had a few weeks ago, because he's been overly concerned about me since then. I told him I was fine, and headed to the front where the bathrooms were. After finishing that, I went toward the front of the store where the registers are, and there was E again. Huh, he's conveniently around me today.

I started emptying the trash from the registers, and he asked me to do him a favor. I went over to the clearance section where he was at, and he wanted me to clean the shelves. Okay.. weird. Except he had me stop after I was done with one shelf because he didn't realize I hadn't done the parking lot or trash outside yet. He told me to do that first, so I went outside with a broom and dustpan.

Guess what? Moments after I was outside, E came outside and started talking with me with work-related stuff and what I needed to do, etc. Okay, he's particularly chatty today.. so he went inside and I continued sweeping the lot. He came outside again and talked with me some more, but joked that I didn't need to be in a hurry today since our store manager wasn't coming in until 10am (2 hours later), and went back inside. I finished outside, and he walked into the lobby from inside and started talking to me again, and (#2) asked me if I was doing okay. Of course I said I was fine, but at this point I felt he was starting to be around me more than necessary.

I ended up doing random tasks and got pulled in different directions from different coworkers/managers/random tasks, then things calmed down and I had finished my opening routine. Then I had almost nothing to do, and went to the restroom area to get a drink from the fountain. E was talking with the female cash office manager (whom I'll call S) and asked me if I was good with numbers. I said "yeah, definitely. I've done closing manager duties with bank deposits and cashiering in the past, and I do computer programming with 3D math." He told me that the cash office and possibly another job that involves doing calculations/list processing/dealing with money that need help. S told E that I hadn't been working there long enough, and his response was "That doesn't matter." A pause occurred after I gave a weird look, and he told me "Just something to think about. Now get back to work" then he smiled and then laughed, then I went to get my water and wash my face in the bathroom. What the fuck is going on?

A short time later I was heading outside to the parking lot to check it, and stopped to tell the starbucks employees (one whom I'm a good friend with; previously mentioned as "G", the other is the manager who is a younger girl) that E was 'vulturing me', and explained what was going on since they didn't understand. Then A (the manager) said "He must really like you :)" and G said "Maybe he'll buy you some flowers for V-day!" That kind of pissed me off, but I resisted showing it, and apparently my face got red. Then they joked about me blushing and I walked off irritated.

An hour later, I went on my break and got a fountain dr. pepper drink, and went outside to sit on the bench like I always do (despite it being 30-40F outside - I love the cold). A was there smoking a cigarette, and we started talking about E after she joked again about E liking me. I told her that I liked him too, and that I'm also gay. She started to talk about how it would totally make sense if he were gay based on what he does, how he acts, etc. We talked about how he probably transferred to that store a year ago because of his divorce, having to move out to an apartment (down the street from the store, and also down the street from me; multiple coworkers have casually informed me recently of this since one of them lives in the same complex as him), and transfer to that store. She also added that he didn't seem to be bothered by his wife divorcing him, and joking that she probably divorced him because he might be gay. And A has known E longer than anyone else in the store I work at because she used to work with him at his old store.

We ended our conversation and she went back inside, but I was still on my break. Almost immediately after she went back in, E came outside and walked past me to get a cart on the side of the building, (#3) asked me if I was okay, then asked what was going on down the street [there was several cop cars and an ambulance down the street; not sure what was going on], and went back inside. Um, random.

After this, anytime I was near a register, he was behind the register at the aisles, always within eyesight, but he never looked at me. He'd disappear in the store and reappear nearby within eyesight during this period. Odd? Maybe, or maybe just a coincidence... right?

A short period later yet again as I came back inside, I had a task given to me by a random coworker to clean up a spill of coffee grounds on the floor near the lobby/starbucks. I went to the Floral back section to get a dustpan and broom, and as I walked toward the lobby doors where the spill was at, E walked past me from behind and my right. It shocked me because I didn't think he'd sneak up behind me, but even moreso because the only direction he could have come from behind me was the floral section: he was following me. He started bagging groceries at the nearest register to the front door, again within eyesight, and he glanced at me. Again.. odd, but could still be coincidental.

Again, when coming back in from outside, I believe from doing a carryout, I was walking toward the registers from the lobby, and he was walking with S talking about something and he had some folders in his left hand (S was to his left, and they were walking to my right). As they walked past by me, E raised up his thumb in his right hand where S couldn't see it past the folders he was holding. We were about a foot apart from each other when walking past, so I could easily tell he was giving me a thumbs up. What the hell?

At 12:04pm (noon) I clocked out for my half-hour lunch, and went to buy a protein bar and gatorade. I looked toward the Starbucks to see if E was there or not, he wasn't. After I checked out and bought my quick lunch, he was sitting at the corner of the Starbucks lounging area talking with S at a table. Um, okay.. he took his lunch at the same time as me? I later found out he took his break because he was only there for about 10 minutes. I went outside since they were busy talking, and I talked with A a bit more. A seems to be pretty confident that E likes me but is essentially toying with me. I'm not sure what to think, but I'm intrigued.

I didn't see him for most of the afternoon after that; he wasn't anywhere near the front end unless there was a flood of customers that we needed backup cashiers for. Which, I did bag groceries at his register at one point, and had to do a bunch of particular things for the customer, like grab the 24pk cokes that were on sale from the other end of the store. He's usually chipper when with customers, and rings out items very fast. Except he didn't go that fast when I was there, and he seemed.. off. Like he was nervous around me, but he was still talking to me. When I came back, he finished the transaction, but forgot to scan the coupon for the cokes, which was sitting right in front of him. So he had to perform a refund for the difference, and I was there the whole time. He seemed nervous again, I finished, and he thanked me for helping him. Did my presence make him forget to do the coupon? No, must be coincidence..

Time flew by like crazy and I found myself clocking out for the day at 3pm. I was exhausted (and felt a bit sick; around 2pm I injured my finger when doing a carryout for firewood, one of the stacks fell on my finger and sliced open a chunk of skin; I bled a lot, got it covered with antiseptic and a band-aide, but the pain made me feel sick), so I had a bottle of orange juice and another protein bar and lounged at the Starbucks for a bit. When I actually left the store, he was in the lobby and asked me if I had tomorrow off, but I told him I opened at work the next 3 days; he replied by saying "see you the next 3 days, then." Then he began to instruct me on a few things about the parking lot and calling for assistance since the lot was packed with carts and hadn't been checked in the past hour, then he told me that he'll let me head out and that he'd see me tomorrow.

He interacted with me today, as much as he has in the past 2 months - COMBINED. And at times I felt like he was stalking me, because he was always within eyesight of me. I'm really, really trying not to think that he's interested in me, because he might just be an incredibly weird guy. But my thoughts and analyzation of today's occurrences are making my brain shit itself.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
[continued, since I apparently broke the 10,000 character limit]

Help me sort my thoughts guys and girls, I'm not sure what to think of this one. On the one hand it's coincidental and I'm just filling in the dots to my vision of him being interested in me. On the other, he's stalking me and may be trying to get me to switch jobs to another department that he literally cannot have any possible authority over, since he has no control or authority of the cash office at all. I need to stop thinking about this, there's too many variables involved. I just wonder how the next 3 days (Thur, Fri, Sat) are going to play out.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
He is definitely toying. If you are a fisherman at all this might remind you of setting a hook...

You would do well to think about switching departments if the pay is better anyway. If I were you? Happiness comes one day at a time. He is befriending you most circumspectly and even if it is no more than friendship, it is positive energy. That is my long-distance take on this.

Papilion

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So whats the latest development, Auron?
I must say that I'm getting a tad hooked on your experiences with this man. Probably because I've been there, having feelings for a manager. In my case they turned out married and not interested (until we all got drunk at the Christmas party at least, but that's another story)

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've had virtually no contact with E lately. Yesterday I got off work when he went on his lunch, but there were a bunch of other coworkers hanging out in the starbucks lounge near him. He was very very quiet, eating food from home while drinking a sweet tea from Starbucks, and reading a newspaper. While a coworker was talking with me I kept secretly looking at him, and at one point I caught him looking directly at me, but he immediately looked away.

As I've said before, we work in different departments (I'm at the frontend, he's the non-food manager), and my manager scheduled enough people for the frontend so that E hasn't had to help us at all; plus I think he's behind on some things he has to do in his department, anyways. As friends we still greet each other whenever we first see each other during work, and sometimes give a "hey what's up? it's busy, huh?" silent communication with each other by looking at each other and raising our eyebrows and/or nodding.