Manager Infatuation

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Any myspace or spaceface or facebook or email? That is where the money is relationshipwise. Not work. Sounds like work is at a level of balance it is worthwhile to maintain.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've actually got a date planned with a guy on Friday, someone I've been exchanging emails with the past several weeks. Unrelated to E, but thought I'd mention it.

On Sunday I apparently overworked myself and damaged a few muscles, so I called in sick the past two days. However, on Monday E was wondering where I was, and a coworker told him I called in sick; she said he seemed shocked and confused, went "Really?" then walked off without saying anything to her, and she said he seemed very bewildered. She told me this about an hour ago; I'm on my break posting from my phone right now. And this morning I accidently parked next to where E normally parks, and he came in at the same time today. I wonder what he'll do when he finds out I have a date on Friday. The starbucks manager thinks he may like me, but isn't out at all (yet), and is dealing with confused feelings, including the fact we work together.

That is my update thus far, but if my date goes well I may not look toward E anymore. We'll see.

williamm

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Auron,
Have you thought about suggesting to E that you two do something one evening - maybe a movie or something? Seems you two know each other well enough now that it would not be out of line to see if he wants to do something away from work. I wouldn't put it into the *date* context as that might scare him off. Just keep it friendly and a more general context. A relaxed evening might be just what the two of you need to feel each other out (no pun intended), without placing too much pressure or expectations on anything. Good luck!

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
williamm: Have tried that, got no response.

helgaleena: I'm not entirely sure what walmart has anything to do with it.

Dick_Smoker: Was awkward, not going to meet again.

Had a ridiculously stressful day at work yesterday, though unrelated to E; however, I failed to mention that on Wednesday, E was extremely cold to me and rude to some customers when I bagged for him. The transaction was an entire cart full, he didn't bag anything, didn't say a word to me, pushed all the items toward me after the receipt was printed, he told the customers to have a nice day, and simply left me by myself to do the entire order. Not only did that tick me off, but it pissed off the customers that he just left us there and made it take much longer before they could leave because he didn't bother helping me at all. The husband looked at me and said "what the hell was that?" - I don't know if E had just suddenly read my email, but he never spoke a word to me that day.

I had Thursday and Friday off work, and he wasn't there on Saturday. Had today off, and I'm doing cashier training on the computer most of the day tomorrow. So I haven't since him since, and probably won't see him for another few days. Which is good, because I don't want to.

It's been a rough week, and nothing good came out of it. *sigh*

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Auron, are you aware of that blog, People of Walmart: a collection of all the creatures that grace us with their presence at Walmart, America's favorite store. ? It just tickles me so much! You are right, it's technically the fact that you don't want to screw your work situation up, not that it happens to be Walmart where you work. I was just trying to be humorous and missing the mark I guess.

So sorry your date did not go well. That is life for you. Virtual smooches from the little green hermaphrodite here.

williamm

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hi Auron,

If you've tried suggesting getting together with E away from work, in a general, non-threatening way,,, just for a movie, coffee, etc., with no expectations or whatever,,, and E did not respond, then probably the best thing to do is move on emotionally. It seems that E has been pretty moody, pretty hot and cold with you, and it's not fair to yourself. One day he almost can't keep his hands off you, and the next day he won't even talk to you. I'm picking up that he has some sort of a wall up. Not sure if he's just straight and feels threatened by you; if he's straight and is enjoying the flirting (ie., game-playing) with you but doesn't want it to go further; if he's struggling with his own sexuality; if he wants it to go further but is mindful of the potential conflict in the workplace; or whatever. A lot of possibilities.

Be pleasant and professional with him at work, but maintain a respectful distance. There are a lot of Walmart stores in our area (I'm in the Metroplex as well) - would it be a consideration to transfer to another location?

claddagh

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This reminds me of a situation I had with my manager. We were friends also - he was definitely gay. This situation repeated itself over three years. When I would drift off (move on with life or date someone else) he would do something to make me think he wanted to date, we would get close again and then he would ignore me again. This last time we actually did start to date and when we got really close physically, he had an emotional melt down... This was the end for me, I couldn't take it anymore. As far as my situation, I realized that he just liked the attention - he couldn't deal with more than that. He's fucked up - perhaps your manager is too. My advice is to move on...

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I said I work at a local grocery store; never said anything about walmart. Tom Thumb, to be specific, is where I work. But otherwise williamm you understand the complexity of the potential situation. I think if I remain distant he'll either leave me alone or at least try to be nice to me again. Though I miss the days where he used to give me huge smiles.. I always used to look forward to seeing his smiles each day. Now I don't know if he's going to really piss me off or even notice me anymore.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
... and today E was completely normal, greeted me, asked me if I was done with my cashier training yet, and told me bye when he left for the day. He's a cancer (zodiac sign), and totally fits the alternating mood attribute.

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Auron, try to compliment him in professional way (well, to avoid complications), if he takes it the gay way, there might actually something over there... Do you think it's worth a try?

Well, that is, after you actually have established casual small talk kind of relationship with him. Me and my boss could have small talks and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well it's difficult to initiate any kind of small talk with him; we're in different departments, and the only time I see him is when he's walking past me or assisting the front end when we're super busy. Or when we have short customer service huddles to discuss and practice our skills, which we did yesterday. Our lunches and breaks never intersect, either.

Yesterday E seemed to be in a really good mood, although at one point he told my manager and I, "I'm hanging on a thread today.. I need to go see a doctor." I asked him a few times if he was okay, and he said he'd be fine. We had a very silly customer service huddle yesterday, there was more laughing than anything, and there were only two other coworkers with E and I. Also we've been taking donations for the children's medical center, and the cashiers (of which I am now one, as of today; leaving for work in an hour, but it's nothing I haven't done before in previous jobs) make an announcement on the paging system everytime a donation is made. Usually a manager or coworker would give a thank you over the paging system, but sometimes E would shout from a distant part of the store, then would smile/laugh after doing so (because he was being silly yesterday). We exchanged many smiles, silent communication with eyebrows/eye directions all day yesterday, and he also inquired about my cashier status, as well as giving tips here and there. He was unusually chatty yesterday, which was nice.

And when he left, instead of just leaving, he walked really close behind me as I was bagging some groceries and quietly said "See you later, Michael"; it was quiet enough that only I could hear him. He didn't say goodbye to anyone else, either. Things like that make me wonder, sometimes..

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Awwww... Nice progress! Well, then that is a kinda small talk too! So, try to initiate more contact after this... keep us posted...

williamm

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hmmmm, my inner voice is still telling me that the best thing to do would be to be pleasant, cordial, and businesslike... but emotionally to move on. It's been over two months, and the cat-and-mouse game continues... E is in the driver's seat, he's got your attention, and it keeps you on edge waiting to see how he's going to act toward you each day. Yet, he has a wall up that prevents him from getting closer or from opening up. Moody? Definitely. Playing games? Not sure. Even if something would eventually break through, it sounds like he has some issues. Could be a number of things. I think that if you can free yourself of his spell, you'll be happier - otherwise, you're risking getting hurt. <hugs> And, being hurt on a personal level by someone that you work with could be REALLY awkward if that comes to pass.

So, just be cordial and friendly, but not overly interested, etc., and move on...it will work out for the best.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Today's work was quite interesting. In a very good way. E was constantly talking with me, smiling at me, making jokes, and joining me in work errands, not to mention adding another task on the list of things I do at work (changing out the drinks in the store brand coke machine in the lobby). Throughout the day we'd still do our silent communication with our eyes, but he gave me smiles like he used to back when I first started working there: those super huge giant smiles that instantly put me in a good mood.

Starting the late afternoon, I suppose due to the cold weather, rain we've had since morning, and winds that were picking up, it got MEGA busy at work. Here in DFW if the weather gets bad, they freak out and stock up for 2-3 weeks worth of groceries for no reason at all. Anyhow, today is the only week I wasn't cashiering, so I was bagging groceries and bringing in carts from outside as usual; except we were so clusterfucked at the front end of the store, I was the only one getting carts outside. E kept checking on the condition of the parking lot and coordinating with me, and twice today he offered to let me use his (really nice) leather jacket; I rejected because I wear a green hoody, particularly for the reason of having breathable material to cover me. If I wear something like a leather or polyester jacket, the heat that accumulates as I work outside gets to me, and when I go inside where it's 80F I start sweating like crazy, so I wear something a little more airy. I'm also mostly immune to cold weather, but coworkers keep showing concern for me. Just weird that E would offer to let me use his jacket, but he's also been calling me 'buddy' more often now. He called me that several times today.

Now, remember how I said I sent him an email saying I was attracted to him? After what he told me after I clocked out for the day, I'm still not sure he's even read it. Why is that? Because he has neither TV nor internet at home - he says he can't afford either because of his bills, and here's how it came up:

I was walking toward the bathrooms where the timeclock was, and E was stocking some things in a locked case next to customer service. He initiated a conversation about how stupid busy it got today, and said it must be because they think it's going to snow or something, then he said he wouldn't really know because he has 'no communication with the outside world - no internet or TV at home.' I asked why, and he said ".. bills, can't afford either. Only have access when I'm at a friend's house or with family." I gave a few concerned comments, and he said "You get used to not having it eventually. I don't really know what goes on unless someone tells me or I read it in the newspaper, so something like the weather is unknown to me until it happens" and then he shrugged. Not sure what I said after that, but somehow I found a reason to ask him about his health concern that he talked about the other day at work, and he said he had a doctor's appointment on Friday. Then he told me "I'll see you later buddy" and I left my parting comment, then went home.

So.. he's being friendlier with me, even offered his jacket, and it's very unlikely that he's read my email because he almost never even uses the internet. Intriguing.