ManlyBanisters' DIY avoidance thread.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ManlyBanisters, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

OK - so I have to go install a new flush on my downstairs loo. Actually, the flush works fine, it's just the seal between the cistern and the back of the bowl has been leaking for months now and I have been putting off fixing it.

The internal seal works fine, the one that keeps the water in the tank from entering the bowl til flushed, it's just the outer seal lets a little clean water out each time the loo is flushed.

I'm replacing the whole thing because the mechanism pre-dates my ownership of the house and if it is old enough for the seal to have degraded and the whole thing only costs €8 to replace then I may as well.

Thing is, now I've actually gone and got the parts and the job is staring me in the face I don't want to do it. I've done this before. I know what I'm doing and that it isn't a big deal. I just don't want to get on with it.

Help me procrastinate. Talk to me!

2. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

This is going to require a long conversation. Take off your shirt while we discuss it.

3. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Just my shirt?

4. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Gotta start somewhere.

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Well the best way to put things off is to brew a fresh pot of coffee and call someone on the telephone and catch up for about an hour. BTW I'll be home for the next hour.

6. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

We should do a conference call. We really should. ;)

7. Northland

Gold Member

Loo? Cistern? Speak Inglesh, woman!:biggrin1:

Use 'lectric tape or duct tape- they are great for sealing off water leaks. Seriously, mine has been held together like that for two years now (the sink drain is similarly attired, and has been for a decade- I have a useless super and am not plumbingly inclined, so I use tape extensively- also comes in use for the annual Bondage Fest:eek:).

Just forward the money to me, I'll by a burger with it, which I will enjoy as I mull over your dilema.:smile:

I think you need to spend a day in the wilderness, contemplating the vastness of the Universe. Perhaps, take along a loaf of Irish soda bread, a good lager, some reading material, a few playful furry animals and forget about the plumbing issue. If you've read The Shoemaker and the Elves, then you know magic elves may repair this while you are away.

8. B_hijack

B_hijack New Member

Why take care of your ballcock when you can do something far more glamorous... like making a tea and watching Oprah in your favorite housecoat.

9. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

As long as you start and mean to go on...

I don't have your number :frown1:

That's not a bad plan.

Duct tape? This cistern / reservoir / whatever sits directly on the bowl - it's a wide rubber seal between two ceramic surfaces that are only about 1cm apart. One of the few situations where duct tape will not work.

Furry animals? - I nominate HickBoy! :biggrin:

10. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not afraid of work DIY projects at all. I can lie down right beside them and go to sleep.

In fact, I have woken up beside the WC more than once. :redface:

Hey... You know what are the two things that a plumber needs to know? I mean the only two things?

Payday is on Friday and shit flows downhill.

11. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Indeed, but don't talk to me about shit flowing down hill. After I've done this flush I've to move on to the upstairs lav with masher and pump and check all the seals on my effluent piping before I attempt to pump shit nearly 2 meters up the wall before letting it flow down hill in the 40mm waste pipe.

Mind you - I reckon I'll do the first few test runs with clean water. :smile:

12. ghb69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just be happy it is not the bottom wax ring that is leaking. Enjoy a tea and a crumpet or two. Then think about it some more before you have to start fixing lunch. Take five catch up on the news and then watch television as you ponder the task by then it will be time to start tinking about supper and the loo can can wait till tomorrow. When you wake tomorrow is still a day away so it can wait till tomorrow again.

PS make sure you wear something that shows crack when doing plumming work.

13. ghb69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Make a sign that says:

Do
    This Job
    Tomorrow
    Tape it to the top of the tank and read it first thing every morning.

14. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Too late. I've started. I have the old stuff out but one bolt is being a cunt. I have the wingnut off and the bolt is moving but the other bolt had a small regular nut on it (underneath) too and when I pulled the other bolt up and unscrewed this moved the regular nut down the screw so when I dropped the screw the nut was within reach to screw off. This second bolt / nut combo is not playing ball and the nut is not reachable by tool or hand.

But never mind! I have a lazy solution. I have decided, seeing as it is being a cunt about coming out and it wasn't the problem to begin with that it can stay. The other bolt being out gives me enough wiggle room to get the new seal in so hopefully that'll just fucking do! :dunno:

I'll report back later - or not. If not assume I drowned in the lav. TTFN, mothahfuckahs! :smile:

15. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

you send a pic and I'll ask a guy I know in plumbing dept what to do, altho I suspect there probably isn't that much significant dif 'tween American and European Hoppers.

16. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

It was a stuck nut, Chuck. Hardly rocket science. But thanks for the offer.

And actually, once I had elevated the cistern on to the new seal I was able to get a spanner to it - it still wouldn't budge so I left it. That seal appears to be working OK at the moment. As does the new main seal and the seal on the other (new) bolt. At least there doesn't appear to be water pissing from anywhere at the moment. I'll leave it an hour and see if there are puddles and then tighten some more if there are.

17. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Careful not to overdo it...contrary to popular belief, there is such a condition as "too tight."

18. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Sounds like when you & Hicky are 2gether alone...:biggrin::naughty:

#18 MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  19. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Yeah, tell me about it. I have a friend who tightens stuff to the point that the washers are squeezed out place and then he wonders why stuff leaks. :rolleyes:

Actually, I think that's what happened to the toilet seal to make it leak - when I removed the old one one side of it was squashed down to about half what it should have been. Bloody hell.

20. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Yes well, no man wants tight nuts while on the hopper unless he's just got done schtupping his SO!:lol:

Draft saved Draft deleted