ManlyBanisters for Taoiseach

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We let them say 'Prime Minister' in the UK media because it is better than letting them torture our language :biggrin:

103 websites listed on Google assure me that everyone should be saying "Teeshock". Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

*wonders whether Pádraig Harrington has ever experienced teeshock following a double-bogey* :tdown:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
You should be teeshocked for that appalling joke! Twice!

teeshock will do as a close approximation - the initial t is softer, the first vowel is more of a diphthong and the last consonant is a soft gaelic ch (think loch), not a hard k.

But yeah - teeshock - why the fuck not. :rolleyes::biggrin:

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There. Birthplace problem solved. Besides, it's a better job for her. All that money to have all that time on one's hands...

Guaranteed money, apparently! The Irish government has just guaranteed unlimited deposits in banks (but is being challenged under European Union rules) I hear from new reports.

That apart, as a welshman with all my Ws and Ys as vowels and the CHs and LLs (an unusual sound only otherwise found in the Zulu language, or so a South African once told me), I still don't understand Gaelic vowel pronounciation. Grainne = Gronya, Taoiseach = Teesoch?

Help me, Manly, I do want to understand.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I imagine not many people know what this is :wink:

I didn't until I read the rest of the thread. Had anyone else posted this I wouldn't have taken the time to google it. :cool:

According to Wikipedia:
The Taoiseach (pronounced /ˈtiːʃəx/ in English[1]; IPA: [t̪ˠiːʃʲəx] (plural Taoisigh ([t̪ˠiːʃʲɪj] or [t̪ˠiːʃʲɪɟ]) in Irish), also referred to as An Taoiseach ([ən t̪ˠiːʃʲəx]),[2] is the the head of government or prime minister of Ireland.

The Taoiseach is appointed by the President upon the nomination of Dáil Éireann (the lower house of the Oireachtas), and must, while he remains in office, retain the support of a majority in the Dáil. The current Taoiseach is Brian Cowen, TD, leader of the Fianna Fáil party.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Or indeed how to pronounce it! :wink:

I graciously accept - Now who's going to tell Brian?

I was acquainted with the title, but have never heard an Eirish person pronounce it. I had some instruction on Baile Claithe Aith, though. (the TH's are just there to confound the Sassenach)

And Kermie for Uachtaranna na Eireann?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Guaranteed money, apparently! The Irish government has just guaranteed unlimited deposits in banks (but is being challenged under European Union rules) I hear from new reports.

That apart, as a welshman with all my Ws and Ys as vowels and the CHs and LLs (an unusual sound only otherwise found in the Zulu language, or so a South African once told me), I still don't understand Gaelic vowel pronounciation. Grainne = Gronya, Taoiseach = Teesoch?

Help me, Manly, I do want to understand.

It's not the pronunciation that's fucked up - just the spelling system :biggrin1::biggrin1:

I was acquainted with the title, but have never heard an Eirish person pronounce it. I had some instruction on Baile Claithe Aith, though. (the TH's are just there to confound the Sassenach)

And Kermie for Uachtaranna na Eireann?

An tUachtarán? I thought they'd written it into our constitution that only self-inflated, ex student politians called Mary could be President. :rolleyes:

Oh, and not to be too picky but it's an Irish person or an Éireannach, and my home town is Baile Átha Cliath.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Doesn't being Taoiseach mean having to spend a hell of a lot of time being nice to a bunch of boring sods you'd rather throttle than smile at? I can think of more fun jobs. Mind you, if anyone could shake up modern European politics, I'd say it would be MB, although you may be too honest and forthright for the job.

The thing I have most trouble with in Irish is all this business of eclipses. Why not just tag them onto the end of the article like we do in Scotland? (And your accents go the wrong way.) :biggrin1:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Doesn't being Taoiseach mean having to spend a hell of a lot of time being nice to a bunch of boring sods you'd rather throttle than smile at? I can think of more fun jobs. Mind you, if anyone could shake up modern European politics, I'd say it would be MB, although you may be too honest and forthright for the job.

Interesting idea - would I get to bitch slap Berlusconi?

The thing I have most trouble with in Irish is all this business of eclipses. Why not just tag them onto the end of the article like we do in Scotland?

Because, despite the similarities, it is a different language. (And ours is attested before yours, I believe, so there :tongue:)

(And your accents go the wrong way.) :biggrin1:

It isn't an accent, it is a fada - so it can't be wrong. :rolleyes:

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I might emmigrate to Ireland and vote for you. Then I'll open a huge South American ghetto and we'll be your own private mafia.

:idea:I can also open a supermarket!

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Interesting idea - would I get to bitch slap Berlusconi?
I'm sure you'd have to join a queue to do that.

Because, despite the similarities, it is a different language. (And ours is attested before yours, I believe, so there :tongue:)
I know. I'm just being facetious. Actually, the two languages being so similar makes it harder to learn the other. It's very easy to confuse the grammar. I found Welsh a lot easier despite the ll.

It isn't an accent, it is a fada - so it can't be wrong. :rolleyes:
Ours is called a fad (not to be confused with a fàd) but points in the other direction. We used to have one going the same way as your fada, sràc gheur, but they got rid of that when I was about six, just after I'd learnt which one to use when! Typical.

Anyway, all that aside, I think you'd be a breath of fresh air in world politics. When do you start your campaign?

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's not the pronunciation that's fucked up - just the spelling system :biggrin1::biggrin1:

An tUachtarán? I thought they'd written it into our constitution that only self-inflated, ex student politians called Mary could be President. :rolleyes:

Oh, and not to be too picky but it's an Irish person or an Éireannach, and my home town is Baile Átha Cliath.

I am getting worse at transposign things, if Sister Patrick saw it, (my second grade teacher) she would probably pull my ear.:eek:

What is Kermie's drag name?

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
Is ManlyBanisters taking over the world or something :eek:

*sigh* I suppose I'm going to have to go to Ireland to remove some more red buttons...

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media