Many college degrees are useless

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_tallbig, Nov 16, 2007.

1. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

Many people when graduated from college end working in something unrelated of their mayor . I never work from what i studied ( finance)
    because in almost all places ask for experience.

2. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, they expect you to get internships and start work at the place you get an internship after you graduate, stay there for 1-2 years and you're "set".

3. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

i graduated from college 4 years ago and never found a job of what i studied

4. BigDuder

BigDuder New Member

college is useless.

5. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

Yea i waste my time and money there. Most college mayors are a waste of time .

6. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I have a Bachelor's degree and never used it, and the same for most of my co-workers. We're all doing something other than what we majored in. I wish I went to a trade school instead. My parents paid my tuition, and it wasn't a lot as it was a state school. I don't know how parents can pay these $30,000 a year or more tuitions. It's crazy.

7. D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

My Bachelor's is in Merchandising and my minor is Business Administration. After 2 years of real world experience with it, I'm going back for another degree cuz I haaaaaaate both. I'm a different person now than when I was in college. College is a bad idea right after highschool. They expect you to somehow know what you want to do with the rest of your life before having experienced much of the world.

8. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

Yea all those money spend and sacrifice for nothing .

9. Osiris

Gold Member

Hindsight, I am glad I left college to care for a sick parent. When I was there, everyone said you needed your MBA (Masters of Business Administration). Unless you are going into "Daddy's firm" or starting your own, it is a worthless degree. Places say they want experience usually when they see you have a pedigree from a university.

The awful truth of the matter is companies would rather see a Liberal Arts Major with a minor in what applies to them. That way they can train you to their way of doing things.

10. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

I learn that terrible truth too late after my graduation . It took me 7 months to find a job .

My first work was in a store

11. montanaguy

montanaguy New Member

Well, even trade schools can't guarantee that you'll find a job in the vocation that you had taken schooling for. I know that for a fact, as it happened to me back in the early 1980's, as I went in the job corps program and chose training to become a railroad clerk. Turns out that over the years, the railroads have gotten more automated and as people retired, they weren't replaced, and this has been going on now for over 25 years. I did learn some things though that have helped over the years, such as learning how to type, along with proper procedures when talking with people on the phone. I should have taken my second choice of vocational training to be an electrician, but I didn't, as I wanted to get my hands on the computer system that the railroad clerical training had at that time.

As for college, yeah, I agree, it's a waste of time and money, as I found out the hard way. The first college I went to, went out of business when the federal student aid programs made it harder to get financial aid. The second college I went to, I have nothing to show for it either, as it lost its accrediting with the state of Washington, in Seattle, as it turned out to be nothing but a "diploma mill". I still had to pay back the student loans and fortunately I've got all the loans paid off now, so I don't have to worry about that anymore.

12. odd_fish_9

odd_fish_9 New Member

So, college is just vocational training?

13. Osiris

Gold Member

And the government wonders why the unemployment system is so backed up with "qualified and overqualified" people.

The job market after college is a pain for most people who have spent years perfecting a craft. I am encouraging my boys to go to college only because one displays a great football talent and he'll get scouted early in his college career and the other is heavy into dramatic arts and he will definitely go into that field.The knowledge they gain in their college careers will help them manage themselves as a business commodity later on.

14. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

All students right out of high school enter to college in hope to get a decent job in what they study but isnt the case to most people.

MAYBE IN VERY FEW MAYORS.

15. montanaguy

montanaguy New Member

Yes and no. There are vocational colleges out there, and then there are traditional colleges. And then there are colleges that were once known as "normal" schools. Those colleges were "teaching" colleges, in that they taught the people enrolled in how to become school teachers.

16. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

College is not a waste of time! Between undergrad and postgrad I did 6 years in university and I don't really make much use of anything I studied in that time in the sense people here are describing.

However - in those six years I read more, saw more, did more, fucked more, laighed more, cried more, experienced more, drank (snorted, smoked, etc.) more, helped more, grew more, learned more and lived more than I had before or have since.

We often do not get what we expected from the actual bits of paper we walk away with - but that isn't the point.

Third level education is vital and a wonderful thing - anyone who does not aspire to it is selling themselves short.

17. earllogjam

Gold Member

My take on college, at least my undergraduate years, was that it was a sort of training for future learning. It broadens your world of possibilites of what your life can be simply by being involved with interesting teachers, thinkers and fellow students. I found a new world that I never knew existed, an incredible resource of inspiration and knowledge, a welcome departure from my very limited homelife. Your college education is not an end onto itself but rather a foundation to build upon the rest of your adult life, professionally, intellectually and interest wise. Although you may not be working in the field of your study you learn a great deal about how to learn, discipline, planning, time management, critical thinking, and effective communication skills - all basics to succeed in the working world or pursue your own endeavors and interests.

Most people I know ARE working in a related field that they studied in college but I know many are not. I've never worked as hard in my life as I did in college. It was a very challenging time for me but my rigorous undergraduate training helped me in my professional education immensly.

Everyone learns differently however. College isn't for everyone. I've always thought that. If you feel that your time spent in college is a waste of time it most likely is. Get out and learn and do things on our own, follow your bliss. You don't need an education to be educated. College is only ONE way of obtaining greater knowledge and is only a stepping stone to do what you really want.

As a side note - one great thing about college is that you make lifelong friends there, something which becomes increasingly difficult as you get older and start working.

18. Osiris

Gold Member

I have to disagree with you. I think I did better in my own studies taking classes here and there on what I needed and what was pertinent to me. I also gained more by getting the education once I joined a company. Not only do they pay for it, but then you know exactly what you need to succeed.

I still did all you said you did during those years and I have no regrets...

Well, maybe the regret you weren't a part of those days...

And nights. :wink:

19. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

Come on...college isn't useless. I learned some valuable lessons:

1. When the room is spinning after drinking it isn't smart to just lie there and hope it goes away. This is often followed by sudden urges to puke. The puke smell will not go away from your sheets no matter how hard you try to ignore it.
    2. When out of Listerine, tequila works just as well.
    3. Laundry does not do itself and yes, after the third wearing of a pair of jeans, people can tell. Turning underwear inside out is just plain gross.
    4. Bongs have several uses, including decorating the coffee table. You can refer to it as your appreciation for Middle Eastern art.
    5. One can pass a class without buying the books or taking a single note.
    6. Libraries can be great places to pick up girls, hell even better place to have sex.
    7. When it comes to attending off campus activities such as quarter beer night, ladies night, two buck pitcher night, all you can drink for $10 night, it is critical to have a designated driver. Choosing the designated driver at the end of the evening is not a good idea.
    8. Although not the most sanitary, body shots are hot.
    9. Eating pizza 6 nights a week does not harm you in any way. Well, at least it doesn't appear to. Also, ramen noodles does not constitute a "home cooked meal".
    10. Milk crates can make charming book cases and other furniture for the dorm room or off campus apartment. In addition, decorative house plants can be stolen from other people's porches most effectively between the hours of 2 and 4 a.m.

Now tell me you can't use these lessons in every day life...

20. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

But it gets me a year off my MBA in the local university.

Draft saved Draft deleted