Marchers to honor King in Memphis today

D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

Experimental Member
Media
Associated Press article-

Presidential candidates, civil rights leaders, labor activists and thousands of everyday citizens are coming together Friday to honor the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. on the 40th anniversary of his death.

On the 40th anniversary of his assassination, King is to be honored as a champion of peace in the city where he died.
"Here was a man who understood nonviolence at a depth that I had never known before," said C.T. Vivian, a former King associate.
"The whole nation flinched" when King was killed by a rifle shot on April 4, 1968, said writer Cynthia Griggs Fleming, one of the many historians, commentators and activists in town for panel discussions and lectures on King's legacy.
King advised his followers to keep working for equal rights for all citizens, "to keep on moving," no matter what obstacles they faced, Fleming said in a talk Thursday at a Memphis church.

"Don't be so consumed by the pain that you don't hear the message," she said.

Presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and John McCain were scheduled to take part in the anniversary day events that were to include a "recommitment march" through Memphis and the laying of wreaths at the site of King's assassination. Sen. Barack Obama will be campaigning in Indiana.

King was cut down on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel while helping organize a strike by Memphis sanitation workers, then some of the poorest of the city's working poor.

His son, Martin Luther King III, wrote in an opinion piece published in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Thursday that the nation is still plagued by poverty. He urged presidential candidates to vow to appoint a cabinet-level officer who would help the poor.
"We're not doing anywhere near enough," he said Friday during an interview with his sister, Bernice, on the "Today" show.
The National Civil Rights Museum opened in 1991 at the former motel, which now holds most of the exhibits tracing the history of America's struggle for equal rights. The museum also encompasses the flophouse across the street from which confessed killer James Earl Ray admitted firing the fatal shot. Ray died in prison in 1998.

King was a champion of nonviolent protest for social change, and his writings and speeches still stir older followers and new ones alike, said Vivian, who helped organize lunch-counter sit-ins in Nashville in 1960 and rode on a "freedom bus" through Mississippi.
"The world still listens to Martin," he said. "There are people who didn't reach for him then who reach for him now. They want to know this man. What did he say? What did he think?"

Other tributes were being held around the country. In Congress, House and Senate leaders and lawmakers who once worked with the civil rights leader marked the anniversary with a tribute Thursday in the Capitol's Statuary Hall.
"Because of the leadership of this man we rose up out of fear and became willing to put our bodies on the line," said Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., a companion of King in the civil rights struggles of the 1960s.

In Indianapolis, Ethel Kennedy was scheduled to make brief remarks during a ceremony Friday evening at what is now Martin Luther King Jr. Park. Her late husband Robert Kennedy gave a passionate speech there the night of King's assassination that was credited with quelling violence in the city.

In Atlanta, the Martin Luther King Jr. Historic Site was commemorating the anniversary with the opening Friday of a special exhibit chronicling the final days and hours before King's death, as well as his funeral procession through his hometown five days later.
The centerpiece of the exhibit is the wagon that was drawn by two mules as it carried King's casket from his funeral at Ebenezer Baptist Church to Morehouse College, his alma mater.

Memphis has also been in the news lately because of the success of the Memphis Tigers, who play UCLA in the national NCAA Division I college basketball semifinal in San Antonio on Saturday. Coach John Calipari had copies of King's "I Have a Dream" speech for his players to read after practice Wednesday, along with a King biography, and the Rev. Jesse Jackson met the team for a personal history lesson.

For those that may be visiting Memphis soon, go by the National Civil Rights Museum. It is an experience you will never forget.

http://www.civilrightsmuseum.org/

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I never quite know what to say at moments such as these. Hopefully today will be a good reminder to all of how one person can indeed make a difference by standing up for what they know is right and that which they believe in. Dr.King did that, even knowing that his life was in peril. He saw the broader picture and future generations and knew it was time and that he had to do it.

40 years ago I was a young kid who didn't fully comprehend either what Dr.King had done during his life, or how stultifying to civil rights his death would be. Where it could be argued that things have moved forward-and they have-I am convinced that his murder caused many of those standing on the sidelines watching, or sitting on the fence, to back away; which, slowed the rate of progression. Fear is a terrible thing, I am glad that Martin and many others have not allowed fear to rule and thereby ruin them.

Thank you, so much Cinnamon for posting this. I knew it (the anniversary) was today and just had not had time yet to open a topic, thank you for doing so.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When I first saw this, I first thought of the other 'king'. While I found that wryly amusing on one level, it's rather disturbing on several others.

scottish.47

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
40 years ago I was 13 and in junior high school. When I heard King had been shot and killed, I thought about it and decided to finish my homework. We were to be on Easter recess from school that next week, and I did not want to have any extra schoolwork to mess up my vacation. As it turned out, I was caught being bad in band that Friday, and was given an assignment to write out a 5 page essay on why I should be punished. I got it finished up that weekend and had the whole week to play. What does this have to do with Martin Luther King, Jr. and his death? Nothing.

bigmanstl

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Im only 34 yrs old but I and others should appreciate what Dr. King did for human and civil rights in this country.
I can only hope and pray that this generation and the ones that will predede me will understand, appreciate, and pay homage to a man and his legacy.
When I heard yesterday his last public speech he gave, chills and goose bumps went through me and if you have ever heard his orations and dont get emotional, then u r not human!
Just take a moment today and thank god for this man's work for all of us--black and white.
Oh and for what it's worth: John McCain blocked the attempt for many years to mandate Dr. Martin Luther King a federal holiday in his state of Arizona, making 'zona one of the last states to do so. I'm republican and that's why (among other reasons) I would never vote for that untrustworthy piece of garbage. CHEW ON THAT