Mariah Passes Elvis

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mariah has just had her 18th #1 song, passing Elvis. She is now second only to the Beetles. It's only a matter of time before she has the most #1 songs in history.

Matthew and I respectfully said, WE TOLD YOU SO!!

... BaaaayBEEEE~!!

Mariah Vs. Elvis: Who's Better???

Mariah Carey surpasses Elvis in No. 1s - Yahoo! News

LOS ANGELES - With her 18th chart-topper "Touch My Body," Mariah Carey has passed Elvis Presley for the most No. 1 singles on the Billboard singles chart, and is now second only to the Beatles. But while the diva was in full celebration mode after learning of her latest milestone, she was also quick to put her accomplishment in perspective.

"I really can never put myself in the category of people who have not only revolutionized music but also changed the world," Carey told The Associated Press on Tuesday via phone from London. "That's a completely different era and time ... I'm just feeling really happy and grateful."

Carey's single is the new No. 1 single on Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart: The song also is No. 1 on the trade magazine's digital download chart thanks to a precedent-setting 286,000 downloads in its debut week. She had been tied with Presley with 17 No. 1 singles; the Beatles are the all-time leaders with 20. (Madonna also beat a Presley record this week, surpassing the King for the most top 10 hits with her 37th for her hit "4 Minutes.")

Carey said being in such company was gratifying not only because of her personal success, but what it meant for women and minorities.

"For me, in my mind the accomplishment is just that much sweeter," she said. "In terms of my ethnicity, always feeling like an outsider, always feeling different ... for me it's about saying, 'Thank you Lord, for giving me the faith to believe in myself when other people had written me off.'"

"Touch My Body" is the first single off of Carey's upcoming album "EMC2," due out April 16. It is the follow-up to her Grammy-winning disc "The Emancipation of Mimi," released in 2005, that year's best-selling album with five million copies sold; it marked a huge comeback for the multiplatinum superstar after personal and professional setbacks.

Like that album, Carey said "EMC2" continues her sense of freedom and rebirth: "It's like emancipation of Mariah Carey to the second power and beyond."

Carey, 38, said this is the most enjoyable point of her nearly two-decade old career, and that's her priority these days, not trying to set sales records or even making pop history.
"I've gone through enough of my life worrying about that kind if thing," said Carey.

"I want to encourage anyone else out there who feels like maybe they can't overcome an obstacle, I feel like I'm living proof ... never lose your faith," she added. "I'm seriously a grateful individual right now."

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My mom read this online the other day and told me. I wasn't surprised and then she said, "I didn't know people actually listened to her!" and I was like... "Duh! How do you think she's been around all these years?".

My mother HATES Mariah Carey.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Argh - evil page scrolly linkage - my eyes, my eyes :rolleyes:

Ah - you fixed it - thank you.

I dislike Mariah Carey and I had no idea she was that popular in the US, I'm upset and offended by this news... :squint:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Amazing.
Wasn't she being written off only three or so years ago?
Lost her recording contract? Stuff like that?

She was--she made movies and recorded a soundtrack for it and it all bombed. She made her comeback and is riding high.

I have loved her from day ONE in 1990 when I heard Vision of Love.

People like to say that she has become more urban and hip-hop over time and this is untrue. From the start she used Narada Michael Walden for ballads (same producer as Whitney) and incorporated musical and hip-hop samples in her songs (think: Emotions and Dream Lover).

She has always collaborated with popular producers--the only one she has been unable to find chemistry with is R. Kelly.

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love her as well. There is just something about her songs that make them stand out from the others... something good.

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
not my favorite artist by any means. Glad she has success but she is way overrated and overplayed in my opinion in the past. I wish her continued success though.

D_one and done

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
haha wow maybe i need to listen to the radio more. is that the song where she's talking about youtube? :lmao:

i used to have the biggest crush on her :biggrin1: on my list of things i find irresistibly sexy in a woman, a beautiful singing voice is at the top.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Meh. I like All I Want For Christmas but her other songs are just too emotional/pop fodder for my liking.

Didn't know she was that popular either in the US. She's been off the airwaves for a long time over here. Last time I saw her was in a music video half naked with some rapper.

On a similar note, I was thinking that the songs Leona Lewis is churning out aren't of the same calibre of Mariah and Whitney's. I assume Leona doesn't have a good team of writers?

Her latest song (Better In Time?) is nothing like Hero, I Will Always Love You, etc.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mariah has a voice for the ages and has written and co-written all her songs since she was 19. Like her or dislike her, her talent is unquestioned.
Come over here darling:flowers1:, I'll console you until this Mariah fad passes.

18 years and counting. Kind of long to be classified as a fad.

*sings*
I know that you've been waiting for it
I'm waiting too
In my imagination I'd be all up on you
I know you got that fever for me
Hundred and two
And boy I know I feel the same
My temperature's through the roof

[Chorus:]
If there's a camera up in here
Then it's gonna leave with me
When I do (I do)