Mariah Passes Elvis

Media
Elvis was who he was.
All though Mariah is not one of my very fav's, she is still a talent to be reckoned with. She has a hand in writing the majority of her material which means mo money for her!

I love Elvis and I love his movies. It was time for someone to pass him up, it's the way of things.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I always thought Elvis was a punk-ass bitch for having the gall to drop dead on my birthday. So every year growing up, on the one day when the universe was supposed to revolve around me, I got constantly bombarded with memorials and tributes to that marginally talented windbag. Fucking asshole.

But at least I'm not bitter about it. :biggrin1:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Elvis, pitch perfect? I've heard him waver, warble, and wane all around the pitch sometimes.

Sure, but not for lack of sense of pitch ... it's pop music expressivity, no?

In my opinion his voice was dry, limited, small-ranged, and affected. His voice always sounded like an act to me. But he has his moments.

I am a bit puzzled. This seems to put him down ...

But subjectivity and objectivity are different. As you said, "I'd rather hear Elvis"...expressing that it's a personal taste.

... and yet you wind up here.:confused:
What gives, HD?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I always thought Elvis was a punk-ass bitch for having the gall to drop dead on my birthday. So every year growing up, on the one day when the universe was supposed to revolve around me, I got constantly bombarded with memorials and tributes to that marginally talented windbag. Fucking asshole.

That really is a bugger.
You know that J.S. Bach dude?
Nuther punk-ass bitch.
Born on MY birthday.
So the miracle day comes and you never hear 'bout me.
Nuther thang ... they also call it the First Day of Spring.
Phukhers.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I remember watching SNL that night when Mariah first appeared on it. The lights came up, she sang Vision of Love like there was no tomorrow. When she was done, it seemed like even she was stunned with how outrageously good it was. I was totally mesmerized. It was an astonishingly good performance.

I think she did Emotion that night, too.

tim36

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Probably because she's way too old for his tastes. :biggrin1:

All joking aside, good god how I'd love to touch her body...

Im so glad that she is ridfing high again, with a voice like hers, Im not surprised she is doing well once again.

And I agree with you, her body is something else, just goes to show 30-somethings can still be smokin hot.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
found vids of her rehearsal for that performance on SNL. amazing performance even in rehearsal.

YouTube - Mariah Carey - SNL Rehearsal (Part 1)

YouTube - Mariah Carey - SNL Rehearsal (Part 2)

That's what I'm talking about! She is so good at singing that you don't even notice her incredible sense of rhythm. Part of what makes this song work is that she roots herself solidly in that clockwork gospel 6/8 with great precision. But then she takes off and flies around it anytime she wants.

I forgot how endearing she was in those days. I have found her kind of annoying in her recent diva days, but seeing this great older stuff brings back to me what an astonishingly talented person she is.

Imaging coming out and giving a performance like that on American Idol? Game over, dude.

D_one and done

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's what I'm talking about! She is so good at singing that you don't even notice her incredible sense of rhythm. Part of what makes this song work is that she roots herself solidly in that clockwork gospel 6/8 with great precision. But then she takes off and flies around it anytime she wants.

I forgot how endearing she was in those days. I have found her kind of annoying in her recent diva days, but seeing this great older stuff brings back to me what an astonishingly talented person she is.

Imaging coming out and giving a performance like that on American Idol? Game over, dude.

i completely agree. amazing talent. its was refreshing watching her in that performance. she had that bright eyed exuberance of a new artist with everything to prove, and she damn sure proved it. everything from her timing to her body language shows that she was fully committed to every note she sang.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First and foremost, keep in mind Mariah Carey was romatically linked/married with Tommy Motolla ... who is perhaps only second to Clive Davis or Geffen in terms of most powerful and influential music executive. The bulk of her success came via Tommy and the politics behind the the scenes.

Also, they've changed the system by which to tally/tabulate record sales (e.g. advance orders sent to stores, vs ACTUAL sales by consumers).

Connie Stevens is a great example of a "record holder" whom means little in the long term. Mariah's songs from the early 90s are RARELY if ever covered by great artists, much less any artists. Maybe a handful of Mariah songs will be played on some retro station. Mariah has been recording for 18 yrs, the Beatles cranked em out in about 6 years flat. Last I checked Beatles records continue to sell in the hundreds of thousands each year... 38 years later.

Congrats to her success regardless... but comparisons to The Beatles, much less Elvis, stop at some myriad of sales/lists.

[disclosure: not much of an Elvis nor Mariah fan]

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i completely agree. amazing talent. its was refreshing watching her in that performance. she had that bright eyed exuberance of a new artist with everything to prove, and she damn sure proved it. everything from her timing to her body language shows that she was fully committed to every note she sang.
In that case, you might enjoy this. A little OT, but not too much.

rodevon10

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Too bad she's passed Elvis. Her singing sucks. Not that I'm a great Elvis fan or anything. But I think that lots of people are better entertainers than her.
Just my opinion.:smile:

D_one and done

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

wow.... what a beautiful voice. i got that same feeling watching that performance that i got watching mariah's snl performance. when she did that fluttering with "the cotton is high" i could have melted from bliss lol. beautiful. in the second half of the performance after she started to loosen up and catch her stride around the stage the conviction in her singing just blew me away. mariah's plays with timing and running are a little more aesthetically pleasing to my ears, but hers were beautiful in their own way. leona lewis... gotta keep my eye on her :biggrin1:

thanks for the link man :smile:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
found vids of her rehearsal for that performance on SNL. amazing performance even in rehearsal.
YouTube - Mariah Carey - SNL Rehearsal (Part 1)
YouTube - Mariah Carey - SNL Rehearsal (Part 2)

I begin to become a Mariah believer.

In that case, you might enjoy this Leona Lewis. A little OT, but not too much.

Wow! Never heard her before.
A bit OT, sure. But oh so beautifully.
Tnx., JA.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
wow.... what a beautiful voice. i got that same feeling watching that performance that i got watching mariah's snl performance. when she did that fluttering with "the cotton is high" i could have melted from bliss lol. beautiful. in the second half of the performance after she started to loosen up and catch her stride around the stage the conviction in her singing just blew me away. mariah's plays with timing and running are a little more aesthetically pleasing to my ears, but hers were beautiful in their own way. leona lewis... gotta keep my eye on her :biggrin1:

thanks for the link man :smile:
Yes, I had the same response to this. As for comparing her to Mariah's SNL performance, I think Mariah might have been further along in her professional career. At the time of Leona's X Factor performance, her day job was a receptionist at an orthodontics clinic.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Yeah, yeah, whatever. Adolf Hitler was born on my birthday (which, if you believe in astrology, explains a lot).

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Too bad she's passed Elvis. Her singing sucks. Not that I'm a great Elvis fan or anything. But I think that lots of people are better entertainers than her.
Just my opinion.:smile:

I'm not a fan of Mariah... don't dislike her either......... but dude...

She is a VERY talented singer, technically speaking.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Kind of obnoxious... in what I refer to as "over singing". The worst has to be what is done to constantly out-do the National Anthem of the US. However, one of the most underrated versions was just done at this year's Super Bowl... she left the damn song alone, and sung it beautifully from within... without these crazy octave range splits, quivers, and so forth. There's a fucking gazillion ppl who do all the "stunt singing",.... but spirit.... few have.

YouTube - Jordin Sparks - National Anthem Super Bowl 2008