Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
rawbone8 said:
why don't you two settle it with a drag queen lip synching slapdown right here TONIGHT

we can get a promoter and cross dressing promotionals and eva-thang

get me Don King pronto :scared2:
LOL - you nailed that smilie.

I'm down for the battle but I do have to warn you I don't look good in drag. No, really. I can't speak for GoneA. Maybe we should just let the ladies fight.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
curious n str8 said:
Good lord ppl why bring raceism in to this:rolleyes: give credit where credit is due. Elvis was a great singer for his time and generation, the true value of his talent will never be realized because of his early death,addiction to drugs etc... Maria's career is still going strong and she has many years ahead of her yet . Personally I like Elvis better, that being said he'll always be the King. A title deserving of his talent maybe, proably can you picture anyone else as king? Who really knows, Opinions will vary a few other come to mind. The Late N Great Ray Charles for one, his music is also timeless to me. Will Maria's music be as timeless? Maybe...Music will always continue to Evolve, its the sign of the times. Just my 02 for what's it worth;)
Elvis was a racist. I never said that was reason NOT to enjoy is music. Facts are facts--ignore them at your peril. As I said, FOR me, his views on people who look like me (while making music that even his peers called "N***** music") mar his musical legacy and dampen MY ability to enjoy it. I personally prefer to watch a movie of his than listen to his music.

Who is to say that Mariah's music won't be timeless? I think that is up for history 20- 30 years from now to judge. Sure, she has flaws--but in an age of studio-constructed artists--I have always appreciated the fact that she can SANG and she writes her own lyrics. I think she is making quite a legacy for herself given her chart and album sales accomplishments.

And, if we're talking who is the king---then why Mariah versus Elvis? She can't be king of anything, given the definition. I know, I know...

Caneadea said:
Wow, Lex.
That's optimistic.
BTW, I like every one of your posts. You are always intelligent, kind, and considerate........and sexy.
Thanks Caneadea. I don't know if I am always kind, but I appreciate the kind words from you. With abs like those...

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Folks,

We are debating apples and oranges. Elvis and Mariah Carey are both exceptional artists. Elvis was a crossover pioneer bringing the black genre of Rock and Roll to white audiences just as his cousin Jerry Lee Lewis and number of their contemporaries. Elvis had an intensity not to be duplicated and a voice that could give you the chills. Though he died an untimely death, his legacy still lives on today in his recordings, movies and in the hearts of all of those who appreciated him. Actually, his star might have waned if it had not been for the shrewd marketing of his ex wife Priscilla. She made Graceland accessible and reintroducing his music and image to the world.
Now, Mariah Carey is a product of her generation . A multiracial artist whose talent and training can truly earn her the title of "Diva" in the true sense. She may have had a wonderful career in opera if the popular music world had not snagged her talents earlier . With a highly facile and liquid instrurment, she has been able to win the hearts of many in her generation. We do not know what the road has ahead for Ms. Carey but she definitely has what it takes to get there.

Naughty

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
naughty said:
Elvis had an intensity not to be duplicated and a voice that could give you the chills.
actually a pal of mine (who speaks with considerable authority on such matters) recalls that elvis recorded great songs but was crap live.

shrewd marketing
that's certainly one way of describing it :sad:

wibbledooklang

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Elvis is so much better than Mariah, not one of her songs can top Suspicious Minds, or In The Ghetto. But I'd put Johnny Cash ahead of them both, now that man is the greatest singer of all time, all of his songs have great stories and that voice can never be forgotten, besides i sound just like him:smile: . but like i said so many great songs, Hurt, Folsem Prison Blues, The Wreck of the Old 97( my favorite,) One piece at a Time.. and then there's Hank Williams Sr. I'll stop here before i keep going on and on.

Brown

B_HappyHammer1977

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Are you taking the piss?!

Mariah "The Warbler" Carey Vs. Elvis "The King" Presley?!

Doesn't matter how many shite records that has been squeeks in at no.1, she'll never come into anywhere near the same league!

She started off alright, but has gone swiftly down hill for years. Why anyone actually spends money on her 'songs' is beyond me.

KidBrown

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Rob, you just made my day with the Jello Biafra comment, that is if you're a fan at least. I can't say I care for much of his solo stuff, but early Dead Kennedys songs are pretty damn good. His voice is unique, and the lyrics go from fun to quite political in the blink of an eye.

Elvis is so much better than Mariah Carey that it's not even an argument.

As for who's number 1, that's up to the eye of the beholder. Personally, I'd have to go with one of the early blues pioneers.....someone like Robert Johnson or Leadbelly. So much influence on the greats like The Beatles and Rolling Stones, hauntingly inspired music, etc.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
rob_just_rob said:
OK, tie for #2, fine. Can't say I care for Mariah Carey. And at least Elvis never got dumped by Derek Jeter.

I'm curious as to who is #1? Beatles? Jackson? Stones? Jello Biafra?
The Beatles had 20 #1 singles in their 7-year chart career.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I'm going to go Limewire some DK stuff now. You're right, some of their early stuff was great.

In terms of my #1 question - it's a quantitative measure - who had the most chart-topping singles (more than the 17 that Mariah and Elvis had)?

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
Matthew said:
Don't try to make peace. It's gonna be some wig snatchin tonight. Mariah v. Whitney, and the winner takes on Elvis.

Amongst all the living divas, Whitney and Mariah are the two which actually get along.

Here is my Ranking of the Living Divas!

1. Madonna
2. Whitney
3. Mariah
4. Janet
5.Cher
6. Britnney
7. Mary J. Blige
8. Christina (X-Tina)
9. Toni Braxton
10. Patti Labelle

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
cricketsliar, you have clearly forgotten that it is a violation of the Diva Code to rank Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera above Patti Labelle. For your infraction, Britney will have to follow Miss Labelle onstage on all fours, scrambling to pick up feathers, pieces of glitter and any other accessories that are left in her wake.

Also, you can bet that Mariah and Whitney will put aside their differences at least long enough to grab Madonna by the kabbalah bracelet and send her plummeting from the number one spot.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Matthew said:
cricketsliar, you have clearly forgotten that it is a violation of the Diva Code to rank Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera above Patti Labelle.

Actually, it's a crime to put Britney, Christina Aguilera and Moodonna on the same list with Ms. Labelle. The difference between Patti and the Pop Tarts? Patti can sing!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jacinto,

Bravo! The unfortunate thing about the reinterpretation of terminology that has been running rampant for the last 20 years is that people really have no idea what a DIVA truly is. They equate the drama and mercurial temperament of the great Operatic Soprano Maria Callas with Divahood. A number of the young and not so young women that have been mentioned have too much drama without the extrordinary vocal talent that it takes to be called a real diva. Jesse Norman is a Diva , Mary J.Blige is not, Renee Flemming is a diva, Christina Aguilara is not, Patty La Belle is a Diva, Britney Spears is not, Chaka Khan is a Diva, Whitney is a Diva, Mariah Carey is a Diva. Toni Braxton is working on getting there.They have the drama and the talent. There are other women who are extraordinarily talented but do not carry the title of Diva because they present themselves in a less larger than life way. I am not going to comment in Madonna, Cher,or Janet.

DoubleMeatWhopper said:
Actually, it's a crime to put Britney, Christina Aguilera and Moodonna on the same list with Ms. Labelle. The difference between Patti and the Pop Tarts? Patti can sing!