Mariah Vs. Elvis: Who's Better???

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
Matthew said:
cricketsliar, you have clearly forgotten that it is a violation of the Diva Code to rank Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera above Patti Labelle. For your infraction, Britney will have to follow Miss Labelle onstage on all fours, scrambling to pick up feathers, pieces of glitter and any other accessories that are left in her wake.

Also, you can bet that Mariah and Whitney will put aside their differences at least long enough to grab Madonna by the kabbalah bracelet and send her plummeting from the number one spot.

Can a Grand Dame forgive a Grand Dame? Why yes Miss Scarlett, I do believe that she can!

Matthew I was thinking more in terms of reigning Diva's, but just so you know the list I just provided is not the only list of Diva's I have in mind.

The Grand Diva's

1. Aretha Franklin
2. Barbara Streisand
3. Miss Whitney
4. Cher
5. Diana Ross (Miss Ross The Boss)
6. Mariah Carey
7. Patti Labelle
8. Bette Midler
9. Liza Minnelli
10. Gladys Knight

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
naughty said:
Jacinto,

Bravo! The unfortunate thing about the reinterpretation of terminology that has been running rampant for the last 20 years is that people really have no idea what a DIVA truly is. They equate the drama and mercurial temperament of the great Operatic Soprano Maria Callas with Divahood. A number of the young and not so young women that have been mentioned have too much drama without the extrordinary vocal talent that it takes to be called a real diva. Jesse Norman is a Diva , Mary J.Blige is not, Renee Flemming is a diva, Christina Aguilara is not, Patty La Belle is a Diva, Britney Spears is not, Chaka Khan is a Diva, Whitney is a Diva, Mariah Carey is a Diva. Toni Braxton is working on getting there.They have the drama and the talent. There are other women who are extraordinarily talented but do not carry the title of Diva because they present themselves in a less larger than life way. I am not going to comment in Madonna, Cher,or Janet.

Actually Dear Heart, I know the exact technical definition of a DIVA. But as with many words, in common usage they are applied in an inexact, perhaps, even more expansive way than the gentleman Webster intended. Good for all of us, right?

You'll get very little quabble with me regarding who can and cannot really sing, but to me being a Diva extends beyond Vocal Range and or ability. Today's diva has considerable talent, and the business acumen to solidify her/his name as a self-evolving Brand. Today's diva understands how to market themselves and build a coherent story-myth for their fans to follow.

You're free to disagree, but you should know that I don't feel bound by the dictionary in using the term diva to describe certain singers.

peace

MsLulu

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I find someone like Elvis timeless. Mariah is just pure, generated Velveeta cheese. If I want soul and R&B, I'll listen to someone with a lot more class. I don't care what octive she can scream or squeal in (if you can call that singing.)

I guess I don't get why she's even being compared to someone like Elvis. That's like saying "hey, let's compare apples and a transistor radio." It's completely baffling.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Here's why they're being compared.

Matthew said:
Mariah Carey ties Elvis Presley for second-most #1 singles ever
Mariah Carey notches her 17th No. 1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 this week as "Don't Forget About Us" ascends one rung to the top of the chart. Carey and Elvis Presley are now tied for second place among artists with the most No. 1 hits in the rock era. Carey also becomes the only artist to post two No. 1 songs on the Hot 100 in 2005.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001736673

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dear Cricket,

I have no issue with you. I suppose because I myself was classically trained, it is taking a while for me to adapt to the postmodern appropriation of terms.You might say that I am suffering from the advanced stages of hardening of the attitude. However, with a few exceptions, I whole heartedly agree with your second list.

Peace out,

naughty

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Matthew said:
cricketsliar, you have clearly forgotten that it is a violation of the Diva Code to rank Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera above Patti Labelle.
Whether she's cooking with Oprah, relating her life story, or writhing around on the floor while belting out "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", that girl's got more talent than all the rest of those wannabes put together!

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
MsLulu said:
I find someone like Elvis timeless. Mariah is just pure, generated Velveeta cheese. If I want soul and R&B, I'll listen to someone with a lot more class. I don't care what octive she can scream or squeal in (if you can call that singing.)

I guess I don't get why she's even being compared to someone like Elvis. That's like saying "hey, let's compare apples and a transistor radio." It's completely baffling.

MsLulu

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Popularity does not a "good artist" make. Backstreet Boys, Boyz 2 Men, Britney Spears, Vanilla Ice.... need I continue?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
MsLulu said:
Popularity does not a "good artist" make. Backstreet Boys, Boyz 2 Men, Britney Spears, Vanilla Ice.... need I continue?
Thanks, Ms Lulu! You left out one, the most appropriate for this forum: William Hung.

For years, I have referred to Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and Amy Grant as "The Banshee Trio." Being able to sing really loud, or having a wide range, or being able to sing lots of notes really fast, or being able to sing successive appogiaturas or mordents or turns or escape tones or trills or bends or tremolos or arpeggios does not make a "good artist." All that stuff is like seasoning on good food - a little enhances, too much destroys. I have a piano and it has 88 keys. If I attempted to use all 88 keys in every single phrase of every single piece I played, anything resembling a melody would be lost, everything would sound exactly like everything else (hint), and the total effect would be horrible.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
DC_DEEP said:
Being able to sing really loud, or having a wide range, or being able to sing lots of notes really fast, or being able to sing successive appogiaturas or mordents or turns or escape tones or trills or bends or tremolos or arpeggios does not make a "good artist."

Couldn't agree more. That's why I've always thought Dionne Warwick is a far better singer/artist than her niece Whitney. Whitney's loud, Dionne's smooth.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I still think that k. d. lang beats Elvis and Mariah (and a lot of the aforementioned "divas") by several long shots. She doesn't need the costumes, the choreographer/dancers, light show, fireworks, digital processing, any of that crap... she distinguishes herself simply by using her voice.

p. s. I have seen her perform, live. It was one of the most incredible performances I have ever seen a vocalist present.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
or being able to sing lots of notes really fast, or being able to sing successive appogiaturas or mordents or turns or escape tones or trills or bends or tremolos or arpeggios does not make a "good artist." All that stuff is like seasoning on good food - a little enhances, too much destroys. I have a piano and it has 88 keys. If I attempted to use all 88 keys in every single phrase of every single piece I played, anything resembling a melody would be lost, everything would sound exactly like everything else (hint), and the total effect would be horrible.
MELISMA. The joys of melisma. :icon16:

KidBrown

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I like the Danzig era Misfits quite a bit, but Glen Danzig is an asshole. "Bullet" is one of the best punk songs ever. But Jello still kicks his ass, Lemmy's too......if you're talking about Motorhead. The woman in my avatar is Wendy O. Williams from the band "The Plasmatics". She was a complete lunatic. This post is unrelated to the thread.....oh well. As for early DK stuff to download, "Let's Lynch the Landlord" and "Too Drunk to Fuck" are two of my favorites.