Marine's father ordered to pay Westboro's court costs

edonline

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Marine's father ordered to pay Westboro's court costs - baltimoresun.com

Marine's father ordered to pay Westboro's court costs

Church members had conducted anti-gay protests at the funeral of Marine who died in Iraq

From Baltimore Sun staff and wire reports
5:43 p.m. EDT, March 29, 2010

Lawyers for the father of a Marine who died in Iraq and whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters say a court has ordered him to pay the protesters' appeal costs.

On Friday, the Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit ordered that Albert Snyder of York, Pa., pay costs associated with Fred Phelps' appeal. Phelps is the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, which conducted protests at the funeral of Snyder's son, Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, in Westminster in 2006.

Lawyers for Snyder say the Court of Appeals has ordered him to pay $16,510.80 to Phelps for costs relating to the appeal, despite the fact that the U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to review the Court of Appeals' decision.

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
wonder if that was the Obama appointee who came up with that ruling

Probably...The USMC should station Marines armed with M-16s at these funerals and give them the order to flip the switch to full auto and unload on Phelps and his cronies if they show up.

Last edited:

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Kind of a useless article that does not give any background, presumably the father interfered with the protesters, or sued Westboro.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Kind of a useless article that does not give any background, presumably the father interfered with the protesters, or sued Westboro.

The latter.

Here's a couple paragraphs on the matter:

The family of Lance Corporal Matthew Snyder, US Marine Corps, has begun this civil lawsuit* against Mr. Phelps and certain members of the so-called Westboro Baptist Church to bring an end to the reign of terror and abuse that they inflicted upon the grieving families of US service members killed in defense of our nation. Using innocent children to deliver their twisted message of hatred and fear, the defendants in this suit have sought to attack the memory of our departed heroes, to strip their loved ones of their dignity, and to use abuse and intimidation as a tool for preventing surviving family members from reaching closure over their loss.

It is the sincere hope of Mr. Al Snyder, Matthew’s father, that this suit will spark similar legal actions against Mr. Phelps wherever he seeks to inflict harm upon the memory of our heroes and their families. If you feel strongly that such actions should be stopped, please consider a donation to help offset the legal expenses of bringing this suit.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
wonder if that was the Obama appointee who came up with that ruling

Does everything have to include Obama in it? This story has nothing to do with him, and yet you have to bring it up. I guess this is what you do when you're a miserable fuck who can't come out of the closet and wants gay people to "act straight" all of the time.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The way they (Westboro) exploit children at their protests is disgusting - they should all be arrested for child abuse.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
In a similar vein to the donations link above a student added this to youtube which is an excellent pro-active idea.

Thanks, Flameboy! That's the most useful video link I've found on this big pee pee site. That kid is WAY smart! :smile: Yeah, solicit money for LGBT causes where ever Phelps and his hate mongers show up. Then send the money to the LGBT group and a "thank you" note to Phelps for attracting folks, helping you collect the donations. WAY smart! :smile:

And thanks tallpaguy for the link to the Snyder family fund. :biggrin1:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The way they (Westboro) exploit children at their protests is disgusting - they should all be arrested for child abuse.

and Susan Sarandon as well, along with all the celebs who drag their brats along to protests that the parents are in support of. Parents are constantly doing this and media clowns ask the 3 or 5 year old a question and the brainwashed brat mumbles whatever they were told to say.

Back on topic-

Phelps and his flock are despicable, to put it nicely. Hopefully, Mr.Snyder and his attorney can get this latest ruling overturned.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
and Susan Sarandon as well, along with all the celebs who drag their brats along to protests that the parents are in support of. Parents are constantly doing this and media clowns ask the 3 or 5 year old a question and the brainwashed brat mumbles whatever they were told to say.

You are a goddamn idiot. You are gonna put Phelps on one side and put Sarandon's activism FOR PEACE on the other? There is absolutely NO comparsion and the fact that you would make it signifies your lack of compassion and general douchebaggery.

My parents took me to rallies as a child. How dare you insinuate that children that are taken to political rallies are somehow brainwashed.

If the parents are liberal, there is a good chance that the children are too. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree brainiac. Liberal people are loving and caring individuals who foster the same environment in their home for their children. My father is a liberal and never shoved anything down my throat.

Blame Dickens for my liberal mindset. Apparently you got a different message out of reading Dickens.

Maybe you should re-read them?

Are there no prisons. Are there no workhouses?

Gimme a break.

As a side note, the appellate judge should be castrated.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I didn't word my comment very well. I was referring to the way the children are being raised to hate. I don't put Susan Sarandon et al in the same group as Westboro because they are rallying for peace and social justice. Plus there is a big difference between taking your children to rallies with you, and sticking them out on the front lawn of a church carrying big 'God Hates Fags' signs. I have no problem with parents (famous or not) raising their children to believe in acceptance and tolerance of others, but when children are being taught to be intolerant, hateful and downright bigoted then stuck in front of television cameras to repeat the chants their parents taught them, that to me is abuse. I have never seen Susan Sarandon do that to her children. Yes, she takes them to rallies but when the media clowns want a soundbite they go to her, not her children. Plus I've never seen her disrupting a funeral.

Last edited:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You are a goddamn idiot. You are gonna put Phelps on one side and put Sarandon's activism FOR PEACE on the other? There is absolutely NO comparsion and the fact that you would make it signifies your lack of compassion and general douchebaggery.

My parents took me to rallies as a child. How dare you insinuate that children that are taken to political rallies are somehow brainwashed.

If the parents are liberal, there is a good chance that the children are too. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree brainiac. Liberal people are loving and caring individuals who foster the same environment in their home for their children. My father is a liberal and never shoved anything down my throat.

Blame Dickens for my liberal mindset. Apparently you got a different message out of reading Dickens.

Maybe you should re-read them?

Are there no prisons. Are there no workhouses?

Gimme a break.

As a side note, the appellate judge should be castrated.
No, mr.HTT, I was refering to bringing children to protests-any protest- and getting them to spout off whatever mom and dad told them to say.

Additionally, I kept that statement apart from the matter of the Phelps and Snyder matter.

Now, moving on to your utter crap about the children being libs, like the parents, that doesn't always run true. Often the children are have been so slanted towards one side, that when they see the other side, they not only run to it, they embrace it.

Oh, and castration of the judge? What purpose does that serve? It isn't going to get the opinion changed.

I have compassion for Mr.Snyder and his family and anyone who has suffered at from the actions of Phelps and Westboro. In yout immature tirade about your saintly parents bringing you to rallies, you left off my comments about Phelps and my hopes for Mr.Snyder and his attorney to be able to get this decision overturned.

Northland said:
Back on topic-

Phelps and his flock are despicable, to put it nicely. Hopefully, Mr.Snyder and his attorney can get this latest ruling overturned.