Marine's father ordered to pay Westboro's court costs

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think Northland was expressing an objection to children being brought along to public rallies where personal politics are being expressed, period. I'd have to agree with that sentiment. Some rallies can get ugly or downright dangerous, it really isn't a place for children regardless of which side of an issue you stand on.

I also consider the presence of children at these things to be a cheap ploy right up there with politicians kissing babies. Children are innocent and good, we have children, ergo we're the good guys. It's as deplorable as sending children door to door with copies of the watchtower.

Hire a fucking babysitter and fight whatever battle you choose alone. Don't put your kid in the cross-hairs.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The lovely Phelps Clan descended on my hometown once. I live in a well known Gay Resort town. He came in the winter. EVERY house in town put an equal rights sign in their windows and tied a yellow ribbon to something in their yard. The Phelps clan was assigned an area where they could stage their protest. The town had it surrounded by bright orange snow fencing. It was quite pathetic to watch Phelps spew his anti-gay vitriol while the residents of my town basically ignored him. They got back on their yellow school bus and got out of dodge as fast as they could. I think it is fairly likely that another court will throw out the order to pay Phelps Legal bills.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Kind of a useless article that does not give any background, presumably the father interfered with the protesters, or sued Westboro.

The inititial legal action was instigated by Mr.Snyder- rightfully so, I believe.

It dealt with Phelps and his daughters and members of Westboro. The protesters initially followed the letter of the law, notified police, filed forms/applications etc. and then hit the funeral trail.

Snyder, by admission, didn't see the protesters at the funeral (grief can do that, it keeps us from seeing what is going on, he may have seen people, but had no idea why they were there). Snyder first became aware in news footage later, after the services were over.

Additionally Phelps' daughters, launched or continued an Internet campaign which again sullied the reputation and life of the younger, now deceased, Snyder.

The court procedings were dated back to June 2006, first argued, December of 2008, decision reached September of 2009.

That was, Albert Snyder, Plaintiff-Appellee; v. Fred Phelps, Sr.; Westboro Baptist Church, Inc.; Rebekah A. Phelps-Davis; Shirley L. Phelps-Roper, Defendants-Appellants, and Jane Doe; John Doe, Jr., Defendants-
(document #08-1026 filed with the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit)

For full details, a google document search describes the entire nature of the suit by Snyder and a ruling by the members of the court.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think it is fairly likely that another court will throw out the order to pay Phelps Legal bills.
Perhaps...what's disconcerting about this order is that SCOTUS has already agreed to review the 4th Circuit's decision, firmly placing the matter in the "unresolved" state. Given this, I just cannot understand the Circuit court's subsequent decision to impose such an order on either of the litigants.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Northland, what does one have to do with the other?

MLB is fair game, he came at me, bringing up my past, I served the same back. Mine at least can be verified.

(since you failed to respond to the PM I sent asking which post specifically you meant, I can only presume this is what you are speaking of)

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think Northland was expressing an objection to children being brought along to public rallies where personal politics are being expressed, period. I'd have to agree with that sentiment. Some rallies can get ugly or downright dangerous, it really isn't a place for children regardless of which side of an issue you stand on.

Well then you are an idiot too.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Look, I dislike Phelps' group as much as anyone- I hated him BEFORE the straight media realized he existed (ie, when he started picketing straight servicemen's funerals)...but he has the right to his hateful views. He was sued, won, and is entitled to compensation for his legal costs. That is a basic tenet of the American judicial system. I disagree with his opinions, but I will fight for his right to hold them. Having said all of that, if I had the money to spare, I would surely donate money to help this dude cover the costs.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Does everything have to include Obama in it? This story has nothing to do with him, and yet you have to bring it up. I guess this is what you do when you're a miserable fuck who can't come out of the closet and wants gay people to "act straight" all of the time.
Don't worry, if he keeps fucking with people online the way he does, he won't be in the closet for long. Eventually, he's going to encounter someone who knows enough about data mining that his personal identity is discovered, and he gets outed in real life.

(People like to think that they are 'anonymous' online, but that simply is no longer the case)

Last edited:

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
and Susan Sarandon as well, along with all the celebs who drag their brats along to protests that the parents are in support of. Parents are constantly doing this and media clowns ask the 3 or 5 year old a question and the brainwashed brat mumbles whatever they were told to say.

Back on topic-

Phelps and his flock are despicable, to put it nicely. Hopefully, Mr.Snyder and his attorney can get this latest ruling overturned.
110% Agreed on both points. I hate celebrities who use their fame to influence the political process, and then double down on the ethical lapse by using their own children as a shield against opposition at rallies/protests. (the implication is, who would dare oppose something that even an 'innocent' child endorses?) Plus, if there's a child standing there, obviously decent people will not broach certain subjects, thereby squelching open debate. It's rather cowardly if you think about it.

The only exception to the above would have to be people like Angelina Jolie, who not only knows the issues she's involved in, but actually tries to downplay her fame. But from everything I've ever seen, those truly caring activists are few and far between. Most seem more like the Lindsey Lohan PR photo-op type activists

Last edited:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You fools don't know one fucking thing about Susan Sarandon and her activism.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^You need to chill out dude. You're factually incorrect, and you should be man enough to admit it.

My parents took me to rallies as a child. How dare you insinuate that children that are taken to political rallies are somehow brainwashed.
Next time, try doing some research before making such obviously false claims. Some parents do in fact 'brainwash' their kids to believe all sorts of messed up things... It's actually something that a parent can be charged with child abuse for doing, if it harms the child's ability to integrate into society.

Brainwashing Children|How to combat mental child abuse

Oh, and I also look down on anyone who thinks it's ok to take kids to political rallies and protests. Let them be kids for crying out loud. I have two kids myself, and I probably won't bring up such things until they're 14-15+, which is when I figure they'll be old enough to decide for themselves if they're interested to know more and participate in such things. A parent's job is to prepare their child for success as an adult, not to make them a clone of all of our own personal shortcomings and ambitions.

Last edited:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^You need to chill out dude. You're factually incorrect, and you should be man enough to admit it.

Listen TTPG, I am irritated at people dragging Susan Sarandon's name through the mud in this country. You, Gillette and Northland have absolutely no evidence that Susan Sarandon brainwashed her children.

And I never said that brainwashing doesn't take place so there is no being incorrect.

I just implied that it is moronic to assume that all parents who bring their children to political rallies have brainwashed them. Some children are geniuses...

The instances of parents brainwashing their children in this country are few and far between and they are not relevant to mine or Sarandon's life choices.

And you're also implying that children can't be aware of their environment and likewise develop their own sense of awareness that might just match their parents out of COINCIDENCE, which is pure and complete bunk.

I have always been a liberal because being liberal is in my heart. When I was in 2nd grade, we had a mock election in class and I was the only kid who said that they would vote for Ralph Nader. I was aware of Nader's activism on the behalf of automobile safety at that age and thought that he was a principled man.

I was a liberal at age 7, I was a liberal ever since I breathed my first breath. I am a good man and I have always strived to be. I equate good with peace, environmentalism, freedom, women's and minority rights and general fairness. How dare you imply that I was brainwashed by my parents by your blanket assertions.

I didn't go to the rally until I was 16 years old. The rally was against nuclear waste being treated in my home town. Yeah, I went with my parents, but my political mind had already been formed at an early age and going to the rally to prevent a toxic waste incinerator from poisoning my small town was a no brainer.

I have been always for peace and fairness.

Susan Sarandon was being unfairly treated in this thread and I jumped in to defend her. So far, none of you have had any evidence that Susan has brainwashed her kids.

Oh and screw you for looking down on people who bring their children to political rallies. You are no better than anyone and how dare you take on an air of superiority on this matter. Some children know very well what they are doing.

Look, nobody likes brainwashed children. Coming out against the brainwashing of children is like coming out against female circumcision.

It's basically like saying that you are pro-oxygen. lol!

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Listen TTPG, I am irritated at people dragging Susan Sarandon's name through the mud in this country. You, Gillette and Northland have absolutely no evidence that Susan Sarandon brainwashed her children.

And I never said that brainwashing doesn't take place so there is no being incorrect.

I just implied that it is moronic to assume that all parents who bring their children to political rallies have brainwashed them. Some children are geniuses...

The instances of parents brainwashing their children in this country are few and far between and they are not relevant to mine or Sarandon's life choices.

And you're also implying that children can't be aware of their environment and likewise develop their own sense of awareness that might just match their parents out of COINCIDENCE, which is pure and complete bunk.

I have always been a liberal because being liberal is in my heart. When I was in 2nd grade, we had a mock election in class and I was the only kid who said that they would vote for Ralph Nader. I was aware of Nader's activism on the behalf of automobile safety at that age and thought that he was a principled man.

I was a liberal at age 7, I was a liberal ever since I breathed my first breath. I am a good man and I have always strived to be. I equate good with peace, environmentalism, freedom, women's and minority rights and general fairness. How dare you imply that I was brainwashed by my parents by your blanket assertions.

I didn't go to the rally until I was 16 years old. The rally was against nuclear waste being treated in my home town. Yeah, I went with my parents, but my political mind had already been formed at an early age and going to the rally to prevent a toxic waste incinerator from poisoning my small town was a no brainer.

I have been always for peace and fairness.

Susan Sarandon was being unfairly treated in this thread and I jumped in to defend her. So far, none of you have had any evidence that Susan has brainwashed her kids.

Oh and screw you for looking down on people who bring their children to political rallies. You are no better than anyone and how dare you take on an air of superiority on this matter. Some children know very well what they are doing.

Look, nobody likes brainwashed children. Coming out against the brainwashing of children is like coming out against female circumcision.

It's basically like saying that you are pro-oxygen. lol!

Wow! You were a liberal from the second you popped out of your mom's uterus? It's amazing, the analytical powers your newborn brain possessed! In all seriousness bro, you need to chill the fuck out.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, you were conditioned to be a liberal by the age of 7 by your parents. This isn't on you, it's on our idiot parents.

Don't feel offended that I say this, mine had me brainwashed to be a rightwinger by the same age... I was shooting hunting rifles by the age of 5. Hell, I had two guns given to me as gifts by the age of 8! (one being a S&W .357 magnum revolver with a 4" barrel and nickel plate finish)

This is what parents do, but it doesn't make it right. In my case, I grew up and rejected their BS, thank God. (and in fact, I've reshaped their opinions to the point that my mom voted for Obama!)

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
He was sued, won, and is entitled to compensation for his legal costs. That is a basic tenet of the American judicial system.
You don't have a very good understanding of our legal system's tenets, basic or otherwise.

Phelps was sued by Snyder and lost, to the tune of $5 million. He appealed to the 4th Circuit, which overturned that original decision. Snyder then appealed to the US Supreme Court, which earlier this month agreed to review the case.

At present, the situation is undecided as a matter of law...which makes it irregular for the lower court to issue any order at all, much less one as astonishing as declaring one party to be responsible for the other's legal costs.

I would imagine that Snyder's attorneys have already filed for an injunction of this order...but I still don't think it should have been handed down in the first place.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Phelps was sued by Snyder and lost, to the tune of $5 million. He appealed to the 4th Circuit, which overturned that original decision. Snyder then appealed to the US Supreme Court, which earlier this month agreed to review the case.

Exactly. The appellate judge should be castrated.

No, you were conditioned to be a liberal by the age of 7 by your parents. This isn't on you, it's on our idiot parents.

Listen man, human beings have a set of morals that are unique to our species. They are not formed, they just exist simply like the genetic code in our DNA for eye and hair color. The moral code I live by is not a code that was given to me by my parents, it is in every cell of my body.

It just is.

Peace is always the right thing to do... I don't need anyone to tell me that. It is a fact that is evident in nature, it is an undeniable truth.

Mankind should strive to not poison the environment. Anyone with half of a heart would not want to harm the environment. Environmentalism is not an idea, it is a fact if we wish to continue to live on this earth.

Women are sacred... they are really the only thing that is good about "mankind". It is an abomination that their rights ever be trampled upon by some sick and twisted patriarchal mindset.

I also believe that people shouldn't have to live in fear in this world. Too many people have to lead hellish lives here on earth... I will ALWAYS be vociferously opposed to the bad conditions in which they have to live.
There is no conditioning in rooting for the little guy or gal.

It's called being in touch with your heart.

In fact, the way that I feel about this world has everything to do with what is inside of my heart.

You are diminishing me by saying that I simply got my morals from my parents. Yes, they had a great deal to do with my development as a human, but my morals exist in my heart and my parents have never had anything to do with that. My heart is my own. Do you understand what I am saying now?

I am not saying that parents with weak minded children aren't able to brainwash them for lack of a better word but...

I have a very strong mind and have an even stronger heart.

Until all humans understand that peace, environmentalism, woman's and minority rights and justice aren't tenets of the left, we will be doomed as a species.

Do you understand me now? PEACE, ENVIRONMENTALISM, WOMAN'S AND MINORITY RIGHTS and JUSTICE ARE NOT LIBERAL IDEAS.

LIBERALS ARE JUST THE PEOPLE WHO FUCKING GET IT. IF ONE WANTS TO OPPOSE PEACE, ENVIRONMENTALISM, WOMAN'S AND MINORITY RIGHTS AND JUSTICE THEN THEY ARE THE ONE'S WHO ARE FUCKING EVERYTHING UP FOR THE ENTIRE EARTH.

DO YOU GET IT NOW?

DO ALL OF YOU FUCKTARDS GET IT YET?

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
You fools don't know one fucking thing about Susan Sarandon and her activism.

Oh yeah!!! Well, I know she's usually a redhead, and an amazing actress, and looking damn good for someone her age! So there! Neener, neener, neener!

(Tripod, you know I luv you unconditionally.)