Marine's father ordered to pay Westboro's court costs

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You don't have a very good understanding of our legal system's tenets, basic or otherwise.

Phelps was sued by Snyder and lost, to the tune of $5 million. He appealed to the 4th Circuit, which overturned that original decision. Snyder then appealed to the US Supreme Court, which earlier this month agreed to review the case.

At present, the situation is undecided as a matter of law...which makes it irregular for the lower court to issue any order at all, much less one as astonishing as declaring one party to be responsible for the other's legal costs.

I would imagine that Snyder's attorneys have already filed for an injunction of this order...but I still don't think it should have been handed down in the first place.

Yeah, you can go ahead and suck my fat cock and kiss my fat pale white ass. My statement stands. It IS a basic tenet of American jurisprudence that the winner generally has the right to seek compensation for legal costs from the loser. I don't see where I'm wrong. I had incomplete facts, yes, but I wasnt totally wrong. The father lost at the apellate level, and was ordered to pay the legal costs, even though the case is on appeal. As the SCOTUS has granted a writ of cert. the case has not been resolved to finality. You are correct, an injunction will most likely be ordered. If you wish to PM me and discuss the American justice system I would be perfectly happy to engage in that discussion. Until then, keep your fat mouth shut about what I do and do not know viz a viz ANYTHING.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Exactly. The appellate judge should be castrated.

Listen man, human beings have a set of morals that are unique to our species. They are not formed, they just exist simply like the genetic code in our DNA for eye and hair color. The moral code I live by is not a code that was given to me by my parents, it is in every cell of my body.

It just is.

Peace is always the right thing to do... I don't need anyone to tell me that. It is a fact that is evident in nature, it is an undeniable truth.

Mankind should strive to not poison the environment. Anyone with half of a heart would not want to harm the environment. Environmentalism is not an idea, it is a fact if we wish to continue to live on this earth.

Women are sacred... they are really the only thing that is good about "mankind". It is an abomination that their rights ever be trampled upon by some sick and twisted patriarchal mindset.

I also believe that people shouldn't have to live in fear in this world. Too many people have to lead hellish lives here on earth... I will ALWAYS be vociferously opposed to the bad conditions in which they have to live.
There is no conditioning in rooting for the little guy or gal.

It's called being in touch with your heart.

In fact, the way that I feel about this world has everything to do with what is inside of my heart.

You are diminishing me by saying that I simply got my morals from my parents. Yes, they had a great deal to do with my development as a human, but my morals exist in my heart and my parents have never had anything to do with that. My heart is my own. Do you understand what I am saying now?

I am not saying that parents with weak minded children aren't able to brainwash them for lack of a better word but...

I have a very strong mind and have an even stronger heart.

Until all humans understand that peace, environmentalism, woman's and minority rights and justice aren't tenets of the left, we will be doomed as a species.

Do you understand me now? PEACE, ENVIRONMENTALISM, WOMAN'S AND MINORITY RIGHTS and JUSTICE ARE NOT LIBERAL IDEAS.

LIBERALS ARE JUST THE PEOPLE WHO FUCKING GET IT. IF ONE WANTS TO OPPOSE PEACE, ENVIRONMENTALISM, WOMAN'S AND MINORITY RIGHTS AND JUSTICE THEN THEY ARE THE ONE'S WHO ARE FUCKING EVERYTHING UP FOR THE ENTIRE EARTH.

DO YOU GET IT NOW?

DO ALL OF YOU FUCKTARDS GET IT YET?

SERIOUSLY BRO, CALM DOWN. Just because an apellate judge makes a decision you don't agree with doesn't mean he needs to be castrated. You're officially a tool.:rolleyes:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yeah, you can go ahead and suck my fat cock and kiss my fat pale white ass. My statement stands. It IS a basic tenet of American jurisprudence that the winner generally has the right to seek compensation for legal costs from the loser. I don't see where I'm wrong. I had incomplete facts, yes, but I wasnt totally wrong. The father lost at the apellate level, and was ordered to pay the legal costs, even though the case is on appeal. As the SCOTUS has granted a writ of cert. the case has not been resolved to finality. You are correct, an injunction will most likely be ordered. If you wish to PM me and discuss the American justice system I would be perfectly happy to engage in that discussion. Until then, keep your fat mouth shut about what I do and do not know viz a viz ANYTHING.
You're officially a tool.

Wow...ignorant and bombastic. There's a combination we don't see enough of around here. :rolleyes:

If you look closely, you'll find that nobody was contesting Phelps' right to seek compensation. The outrage stems from the Circuit court's disregard of precedent and standards of jurisprudence by ruling on such a motion while the matter's disposition remains under appellate review.

FYI, the phrase is vis-à-vis (pronounced veezah-vee). That one's free. You'll have to take up your obesity issues with Jenny Craig.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Actually, I disagree with you. The case was argued before a three-justice panel of the circuit, and the determination was unanimous amongst all of them.

The majority opinion authored by Justice King (Clinton's appointee) basically overturned the original court's ruling on free speech grounds, a rationale concurred by
Justice Duncan (Dubya's):

Notwithstanding the distasteful and repugnant nature of the words being challenged in these proceedings, we are constrained to conclude that the Defendants’ signs and Epic are constitutionally protected. To paraphrase our distinguished colleague Judge Hall, judges defending the Constitution "must sometimes share [their] foxhole with scoundrels of every sort, but to abandon the post because of the poor company is to sell freedom cheaply. It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have often been forged in controversies involving not very nice people."

Interestingly, the third member, Justice Shedd (also Dubya's), wrote a separate opinion, as he determined that Snyder had failed to demonstrate satisfaction of the tort conditions being alleged without there being any need to analyze the matter through the lens of free speech concerns. Though
he disagreed with his two colleagues as to why, his conclusion was also that the decision should be overturned.

I agree with the circuit court's findings...and even given the conservative-ish majority, I would be surprised if SCOTUS reverses their decision on the matter.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Listen man, human beings have a set of morals that are unique to our species. They are not formed, they just exist simply like the genetic code in our DNA for eye and hair color. The moral code I live by is not a code that was given to me by my parents, it is in every cell of my body.
That's a fabulous theory, now if only you could prove it, you would win a Nobel Prize and make millions on a speaking tour.

DO YOU GET IT NOW?

No asshole, I don't get it. Write it bigger please... Also, could you act a little more childish and freak out some more on people for no reason? You've gotten me to chuckle, but I haven't really busted out into true 'lol' territory quite yet.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No asshole, I don't get it.

Let me make it a little more simple for your stubborn ass, you shitpile.

There is right and there is wrong. All humans know what is right and what is wrong, you don't need a set of morals taught to you.

There is nothing but theories of how morality has developed in hominids anyway. Shame on me for knowing what actually took place in my brain, I mean, I should ask your fucking ass what I was thinking right? You are such a smug prick piece of crap.

But I can tell you that feeling pain is an easy way for one to develop "pro-social emotions". If a young human feels pain, then it can more easily recognize the signs of other humans and animals feeling pain. If the human then understands that pain feels bad, they would in turn (if their brain was developing normally) decide that they did not want anyone else feeling that same pain.

Then the notion of suffering gets raised in the mind and the young human can then develop what is known as empathy. If one truly develops empathy, then a proper understanding of the importance of peace, environmentalism, women's and minority rights and justice is rather easy.

I never needed anyone shaping my morals, I developed them on my own.

Maybe you just ate everything that your father dished out to you? I have no idea why you were indoctrinated as a youth. Most little boys wanna please their Dads, so it's typical.

Anyway, fuck off. I'm tired of you.

B_quietguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Getting this thread back onto its original topic ...

What was the rationale for the court's decision to make the Marine's father pay some legal costs for the Phelps clan?

I've heard that the Phelps are very aggressive when they protest, and antagonize people into responding to them. If somebody even touches a Phelps "protester", gets in their way, or tries to disrupt their protests, the family will sue for assault. Since several members of the Phelps family are lawyers, they know exactly what they can get away with. I even heard they make money by suing people who interfere with their "protests".

Side note: 1 member of that family is no longer a lawyer. The state of Kansas revoked Fred Phelps's legal license for ethical violations some years back. His daughters are still lawyers and they carry on the family tradition of "protest now, sue later".

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What was the rationale for the court's decision to make the Marine's father pay some legal costs for the Phelps clan?
Because the 4th Circuit ruled in favor of Phelps on appeal, overturning the district court's judgment. Often in civil cases, an appellant who the court sides with can request an order that the costs of their appeal be partially or totally recovered from their opponents.

What's unusual here is that the circuit court has granted this motion for Phelps, despite the fact that the Supremes have agreed to review the case, leaving the final disposition unresolved. Typically, motions to recover fees are only granted when the case has been legally disposed. My only guess is that the 4th circuit strongly believes their decision will stand after review by the high court.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
(since you failed to respond to the PM I sent asking which post specifically you meant, I can only presume this is what you are speaking of)

Failed to?

Your PM came in 14 hrs ago. This post quoted here was also made 14 hrs ago.

For future reference I work outside the home and even when I'm here I'm not glued to the computer. Should you not receive a response to your PM in 2.5 seconds, instead of getting tetchy, just assume I'm away and will get back to you when I'm available and have the time.

Although after this snit I wouldn't count on my having the inclination.

Well then you are an idiot too.

Peace is always the right thing to do...

~snip~

LIBERALS ARE JUST THE PEOPLE WHO FUCKING GET IT. IF ONE WANTS TO OPPOSE PEACE, ENVIRONMENTALISM, WOMAN'S AND MINORITY RIGHTS AND JUSTICE THEN THEY ARE THE ONE'S WHO ARE FUCKING EVERYTHING UP FOR THE ENTIRE EARTH.

DO YOU GET IT NOW?

:rolleyes:

You, Gillette and Northland have absolutely no evidence that Susan Sarandon brainwashed her children.
Did I mention Susan Sarandon? No.
Did I mention brainwashing? No.

I said I thought it was a cheap ploy and that activities where opposing views could get heated were not fit places for children. We're discussing a court ruling and the appropriateness of children at rallies and here you're so riled up that you're talking about castrating someone for a decision and cursing up a storm. Screaming in supersize font, no less. Rantings no child should be subjected to.

You just proved my point.
I'm not the idiot.

Last edited:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What a wonderful gesture from such a gracious man.
This is why I'm fed up with the denizens of this forum.

I don't believe for a second that you wrote that statement with the first iota of sincerity. Anyone with the capacity to think critically can deduce that O'Reilly is a self-serving douchebag using this situation to draw attention to himself. So why do you feel the need for this deliberately disingenuous characterization?

The appropriate avenue of recourse would be to file for an injunction to stay this order while appealing it to the full circuit...because then it becomes a matter of legal precedent, serving to correct a problem in the system, rather than just being a platform on which Bill rouses rabble for 15 minutes before moving on to his next "outrage."

If someone were truly outraged at this order, they would silently put up the money for Snyder's own appeal of it, instead of crowing about it from their TV studio before any money even changed hands.

justasimpleguy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Wait, wait...Did Buildyface just put "gracious man" and "Bill O'Reilly" in the same sentence?
YouTube - "SHUT UP!" -- Bill O'Reilly's favorite words
Bill O'Reilly is a right-wing pugilist. He's not a journalist or a man, he's a bully.

Ok, here's the real question for the people paying attention. Where does free speech stop and the rights of a family to have a peaceful funeral for their son start? I don't think you could get anyone to say that some stranger has the right to come into the middle of one of the saddest moments in a person's life and stomp all over it because they have free speech. These WBC people are barbarians and we have the right not to tolerate their bullshit at the funerals of soldiers if we choose.

B_Mister Buildington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
What the heck?! After this whole thread of commiseration with the unfortunate father, someone steps up and offers to pay for the whole mess, and you have nothing nice to say about him?

I think you need to get your priorities straight. So he's a republican. Does that mean his charity is not wanted? Maybe you should ask the marine's father about that.

This was a gracious move on O'Reilly's part.

You and he seem to be in agreement over this issue! Is that just too much for your liberal pride to stomach?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What the heck?! After this whole thread of commiseration with the unfortunate father, someone steps up and offers to pay for the whole mess, and you have nothing nice to say about him?

I think you need to get your priorities straight. So he's a republican. Does that mean his charity is not wanted? Maybe you should ask the marine's father about that.

This was a gracious move on O'Reilly's part.

You and he seem to be in agreement over this issue! Is that just too much for your liberal pride to stomach?

You can stop playing the game now, troll. We all know you're faking it. HazelGod doesn't want to fuck you either. :rolleyes:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's pretty much what I expected. :rolleyes:

I concede the point that it's unusual for a court to issue the order without an accompanying temporary stay on said order while case was still under review. I haven't read the decision, and I doubt you have either. Having said that I suppose I'm curious as to why SCOTUS didn't issue an injunction automatically when granting cert. I dont know.