Marion Jones finally admits it....

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SpeedoGuy, Oct 5, 2007.

1. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Another big name international athlete turns out to be a lying doper, this time Marion Jones. After the Floyd Landis debacle, American athletics will get yet another black eye.

I've never been one to take sports too seriously, especially high profile sports, but the lying, the denials, the posturing, the outlandish salaries, the greed, the big egos and the all around phoniness in sports is getting to be a bit much.

Feeling Betrayed by Marion Jones - TIME

2. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    GETTING to be? Sheesh! I, like others, enjoy a good football game, but that's as far as it goes...they are way overpaid! Why can't researchers working on the cures for aids and cancer and every other horrible disease known to mankind make that kind of money? That's where money should be put, into facilities and programs and salaries of people who really make a difference in this world. Sports are so corrupt these days...high school sports are just another means for people to abuse others as well.

3. Osiris

Gold Member

I hate to admit it... No I don't. I will admit it, I never really thought Marion Jones was all that. she seemingly came out of nowhere and won big at Sydney. After her husband went down for doping, I knew it was a matter of time. What really pisses me off about this is that she not only lied, but she stole a once in a lifetime moment from athletes who really legally trained and ran.

You only get one moment to be on that podium in front of the world, Marion Jones stole it. And now she is on the TV crying and telling how she disappointed everyone. Is she crying for that or because she finally got busted. She is a national disgrace, I hope she truly realizes it and no apology, in my opinion, is acceptable for what she did and the hurt she caused to decent rule abiding athletes that lost their once in a lifetime moment because of her selfish and illegal actions.

Give me a Flo Jo, Jackie Joyner Kersey, or Wilma Rudolph. Those are true athletes.

4. sneakyd

sneakyd New Member

Albums:
    Wasn't Flo Jo suspected of using drugs as well ? Retiring early to beat the drug testing , & also dying at such a young age of a heart seizure ? :confused:
    I agree totally with you about the stealing of a once in a lifetime moment from someone else though . Imagine running second to her in those races ? :mad:

5. Osiris

Gold Member

I seem to recall there was some speculation on Flo Jo and there has always been the suspiscion that drug use lead to her early death. In Flo Jo's favor though, at least she never went on camera vehemently denying it and claiming anyone accusing her was lying like Marion did.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Flo jo got alot of press because of her flamboyance but I found Joyner-Kersey's life story to be most inspirational.

7. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This was disappointing on many regards.

I am also disappointed as an alum from my alma mater where she was inducted into the Hall of Fame. I wonder what they will do with her pictures and her accolades there now....

8. classyron

Gold Member

Albums:
    Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson, umm... every successful track star in the last 20 years has been on juice.

9. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

So, some smart person suggest what can be done to turn this unfortunate trend around. Let's, for the moment, agree that steroids are not the choice we want our athletes making. How do we EFFECTIVELY redirect them toward healthy and "natural" choices?

10. juicybt

juicybt New Member

It hurts my inner soul and spirit to know that Marion Jones took steroids. I only pray that future athletes will learn from her mistake and that she will be learn, be a better person for confessing and help other future athletes to just say "no" and stay away from steroids. I also blame her Coach, he is a %%###&&***## and should be apologizing to the world as well. He told her she was taking flax seed oil. .... What a lying mother........ don't curse!!!!

AlteredEgo likes this.
  11. viking1

Gold Member

A very simple answer. Stop idolizing sports. Stop watching or attending sporting events. When WE cut the money off, things will change, the high and mighty will come back down to Earth. Without the big money the cheating won't mean nearly as much...

12. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Its never going to stop. Someone will always find a way.

If ya can't beat em join em, we should just get used to it and let them kill themselves slowly while they entertain us with their record smashing perfromances time and time again.

13. viking1

Gold Member

That's probably as sensible as anything else in this world...

14. Osiris

Gold Member

And as always you are right, but what has me pissed, as a former track runner, is the attitude and the lying. If she came out and said "Yeah, I did. My bad." No harm, no foul in my book. Marion Jones however got on this big high horse, said she was being targeted because of her husband, because she is the best in the world, blah, blah, blah. She made it sound like she was being unfairly targeted. That is what has me annoyed.

It's like Jose Canseco. He got caught, he admitted and I personally don't hate the guy and think he did the right thing. Yeah he turned rat, but it's the nature of the beast.

15. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

I have to beg to differ with you, Skull, and suggest that Viking stick with his original response.
    Boycotts can be effective, and WE do promulgate the outrageous salaries and unhealthy choices by watching the events in person and on TV. Too often we also slavishly buy the products endorsed by our sports heroes or emblazoned with their names.

I have always found the "can't beat 'em, join 'em" sentiment defeatist and counterproductive for the most part; so, it's Viking's suggestion for me.

16. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    I feel you. Like I've said before, people will always try to find a way. She got caught, fess up and move on. I'm not gonna hold a grudge for that. But when she first got accused of it because of her husband she did hop on that high horse and now she got caught and I ain't gonna defend her.

Its like everyday Jose Canseco must feel more and more vindicated.

For real? You think any boycott will phase any professional sport??? Sports is entertainment. Are you not gonna let your kid get the Roger Clemens jersey he has always wanted for christmas because maybe he cheated one day?

People are never going to stop watching sports on TV or in person. Steroids or not. Hell, more people watch BECAUSE of the enhanced performances resulting from such widespread steroid use. People on Earth are too damn bored to not watch sports. So people can boycott all they want but while they are bored as hell trying to explain to their kids why they can't watch any sports, or play any sports, or root for a goddamn football team, the rest of the free world will being watching the Super Bowl and witness the evolution of the modern athlete.

Are you not entertained?

17. earllogjam

Gold Member

I don't know what would be worse - winning by cheating and having to live with yourself or loosing to a cheater and not realizing that you really are the winner.

18. Osiris

Gold Member

That's deep Earl. I had to think about it, but I think it would be the latter for me. All your life's hard work to get to that moment and it was stolen. I wonder if they feel a sort of humiliation at missing that moment on the podium.

19. viking1

Gold Member

The only reason it won't work is because nobody is going to do it. We are all too selfish to stick together and do anything to change things. Not just with sports corruption, but also with politics etc. It would work if we all did it. If we would all stay home and only go to work or necessary trips we could lower these fuel prices too. When all the entertainment spots were empty the rich crooks that own them would pressure the rich crooked oil barons to lower prices. We are too selfish for this. The same reason labor unions don't work anymore. We are too selfish to stick together.

I don't have a problem with boycotts. A lot of sports have gotten so ridiculously political I don't watch anymore. NASCAR is a prime example.
    With all the rule changes, politics, and favoritism towards GM, I don't watch NASCAR anymore. I will watch the truck series some just to see Toyota whip the big three.

You are right that it won't happen, and it won't because WE won't let it.

What really angers me is that when I say something about a boycott of the entertainment industry all I hear is "it won't work". Nobody wants to give up their entertainment. They can attack me for talking against hybrid cars or saying there is nothing I can do on the political level. How many on here are willing to stay home from that vacation to save fuel so their kids will have fuel years from now? How many don't have their fun in the name of environmental activism? It's called a SELF SERVING attitude.
    I say: hypocrites all...

20. Osiris

Gold Member

The thing about it is boycotts have never worked. Lakers fans boycotted in the 80s over the Magic Johnson salary issue. Soon they were all back and forgot it. The Baseball Strike. Fans boycotted, but were back in short order and again, forgot.

When it comes to our sports and sports heroes, we have an amazing propensity to forgive. I personally think it's time to forgive Pete Rose. See? Even I am guilty here. I am sure that in time, the world will forgive Marion Jones, but for now we all need our venom to get us through.

Face it folks, we all stop and gawk at the car wreck, deal with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted