Marion Jones finally admits it....

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree that it won't work because we won't make it work. It's not that it can't work. We just won't do it because we are too self serving.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sadly, experience has shown what Skull Mason says to be true. People would rather be entertained by professional athletes or celebrities regardless of whether they are corrupt and/or self-serving. Few seem willing to give more than lip service to standing up for a bit of integrity by boycotting. The way things are is different from the way they should be.

Its too bad because I think boycotts could work if enough people have the cojones to follow through with them. Its just that too many people have been conditioned to get their entertainment from outside rather than creating it themselves. That puzzles me because I sure enjoy playing sports and games myself than watching others do so on TV. In fact, I never have spent much time watching others play sports because I'm too busy doing them myself. So, let the boycott begin with me.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sadly, experience has shown what Skull Mason says to be true. People would rather be entertained by professional athletes or celebrities regardless of whether they are corrupt and/or self-serving. Few seem willing to give more than lip service to standing up for a bit of integrity by boycotting. The way things are is different from the way they should be.

Its too bad because I think boycotts could work if enough people have the cojones to follow through with them. Its just that too many people have been conditioned to get their entertainment from outside rather than creating it themselves. That puzzles me because I sure enjoy playing sports and games myself than watching others do so on TV. In fact, I never have spent much time watching others play sports because I'm too busy doing them myself. So, let the boycott begin with me.

Exactly!!!

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
"Those who are ignorant of history are condemned to repeat it."

... visions of Romans being "entertained" while their republic became an empire and continuing to be "entertained" as that empire was then rolled under by succeeding waves of invaders...

Boycotts have worked. Seems like a boycott of the buses 50 some odd years ago in Montgomery had a successful result.

And self fulfilling prophesies work, too. If you want to always be right, you can repeat over and over, "We can't do that." You will be vindicated. You won't be able to do it.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
50 years ago that was for Civil Rights. When something matters like that, people will come together and stand for whats right. But no one cares enough its just sports, its entertainment.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read today where they are wanting her teamates to return their medals also. I'd be mad as hell if I had to give something back that I had worked so hard for because of someone elses behavior. They'll probably go through the rest of their lives defending themselves because people will assume they cheated also. Another clear example of someones selfishness effecting all of those involved.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yes, the rings of pain radiating out from one person's bad choices can be far reaching.

Regarding the boycott of sports, I would suggest more emphasis be returned to participation, so that more people are actually ON the field playing themselves instead of vicariously winning and losing with "the team." Furthermore, when there is clear encouragement of athletes to use steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, those sports get boycotted until they clean up their acts. When the evidence is not so clear, boycott the sport until some testing or other monitoring is clearly in place to ensure "clean" participation.

Are we so dependent on spoon fed "entertainment" that we cannot find other ways to entertain ourselves if the present ones prove unsatisfactory?

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
You have a sad and limiting view of the human race, my friend. I realize that you have suffered difficulties, but you are using your native beauty along with the strength and attractiveness you have cultivated to steer others toward complacency.

I cannot pretend to know all that has contributed to the development of your personal agenda, but I hold out to you the possibility of higher asperations and more inspired direction.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If there is a need for a Revolution I will be the first one in line.

I do have a sad view of the human race. Turn on TV and take a look. Go put on Fox News and the o rilly factor and enter the no spin zone. Its not so much the human race, its america.

All the die-hard pittsburgh stealers fans who have followed their team all their lives and paint their faces aren't going to give a shit, and if they did, they sure as hell would rather be in the game than outside in a pickett line.

Is my view on things really that unfortunate, or am I simply keeping it real? I truly believe people will never stand up and boycott the National Football League or the MLB because someone is hitting mad home runs or throwing more touchdowns. I don't think it would work and nothing would get accomplished. Maybe your voice gets heard, ok cool, but the NFL will move on, with or without the boycotters.

Do I really need more inspired direction because I believe that?

Not to mention Jones' teammates have also tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, as well as the sprinter from greece who came in 2nd behind her. Fuck it, lets just not watch sports anymore then.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If there is a need for a Revolution I will be the first one in line.

I do have a sad view of the human race. Turn on TV and take a look. Go put on Fox News and the o rilly factor and enter the no spin zone. Its not so much the human race, its america.

All the die-hard pittsburgh stealers fans who have followed their team all their lives and paint their faces aren't going to give a shit, and if they did, they sure as hell would rather be in the game than outside in a pickett line.

Is my view on things really that unfortunate, or am I simply keeping it real? I truly believe people will never stand up and boycott the National Football League or the MLB because someone is hitting mad home runs or throwing more touchdowns. I don't think it would work and nothing would get accomplished. Maybe your voice gets heard, ok cool, but the NFL will move on, with or without the boycotters.

Do I really need more inspired direction because I believe that?

Not to mention Jones' teammates have also tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, as well as the sprinter from greece who came in 2nd behind her. Fuck it, lets just not watch sports anymore then.

I'll still watch. I haven't had my fill of good train wrecks yet. :biggrin1:

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
...they sure as hell would rather be in the game than outside in a pickett line.

...lets just not watch sports anymore then.

Seems like an all or nothing approach is all that you can invision. Try thinking of other things to do beside being at the game or watching it on TV. One doesn't have to be in the picket line to be boycotting.

And this is not all sports... and it is not ALL athletes in the sports in question.

Furthermore, as I said before, I'd like to see more people PARTICPATING instead of sitting on their asses watching. Get excited about your neighborhood team. Train for your role in local events. The millions of dollars going to the big teams and events is guaranteed to pervert sport.