Marriage Equality bill passed in WA Senate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gymfresh, Feb 1, 2012.

1. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    By a larger margin than needed, 28-21. And this was the difficult chamber. Bill now moves on to the WA House, where passage is assured. After that, all it needs is the signature of Governor Christine Gregoire -- who has been one of the driving forces behind getting this passed. Such good news from the Pacific Northwest.

Fortunately, none of the awful amendments attached successfully to this bill.

Opponents of marriage equality have vowed to mount a petition drive to get a statewide voter referendum on the ballot. Something tells me that if it comes to that, that side will lose the vote to undo the legislation.

2. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Another domino prepares to fall. I'm delighted.

3. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wouldn't count on that. Our "everything but marriage" measure a couple years ago only passed with 52 or 53%. Almost all of the eastern side of the state, as well as large swaths of the southwest are very conservative. Basically anywhere that isn't Puget Sound (which is, thankfully, where most Washingtonians live) tends to be rather conservative. Even Vancouver, which is right across the river from Portland, is moderately conservative. So, should a repeal effort get on the ballot, there's a very good chance it would be successful.

4. Mumzi

Mumzi New Member

Congratulations. Hope things continue to go well.

5. houtx48

Gold Member

Good for the people of Washington. No more special rights for straight people.

6. D_Jacqueline_Boozann

Albums:
    I'm straight -- but congratulations on winning your rights. I hate to admit, though, gay marriages or gay relationships seem to be more seriously in tact, than some straight relationships -- which some straights, disgust me, at times.

Women, especially, had it made yrs. ago: men were men; women were women, and men treated women (except for physical or emotional abuse cases) like women. Now, decent women can't find good men: most divorced men are afraid of relationships or even marriages, now.

It's going to come to the state that...unless you win a lottery for over $5 million and the man knows...you can't get one.

You have your:

1. Men who are allegedly intimidated by women -- but won't admit it.

2. Men who either hate or distrust women.

3. Men who are now divorced -- won't commit to anyone; fear of being emotionally or financially abused. Thanks, men, you sure know how to pick them. Never mentioned moral, spiritual, or ethical values. Don't feel sorry for you.

Listen, why is it that Mormons, Evangelicals, Pentecostals, or the Armish groups are more prone to marry people who are just like them? Men choose women, mostly for
    ethical, moral, and spiritual values.

So, gays, you can and should teach straight people how to commit and love in a relationship.

Forget the State of New Mexico, 50 yrs. behind other states, anyway: too damn, conservative -- even though Albuquerque is one of the most liberal cities. I used to live and teach in New York City -- vast differences!!
    ================================================================
    Peace out, Episcopalian, Albuquerque, NM.

7. houtx48

Gold Member

Episcop, Probably right on most counts. I wonder if we have become so much a me society that there is no room for anyone else. I always say i want a relationship but the older i get the more selfish i become. Sorry for the rambling. Carry on.

8. ravenx

ravenx Member

Passed the House today 55 to 43. :)

9. D_Miranda_Wrights

D_Miranda_Wrights Account Disabled

Required viewing: Rep. Maureen Walsh, an Eastern Washington Republican, on her "Yes" vote:

Republican Chokes Up At Gay Marriage Debate In Washington - YouTube

a ballsy decision, and a wonderful speech. Man, it almost got me. The rest of the debate did not endear me to the vast majority of the Republicans...but I'll focus on the positives here. I just hope this thing survives referendum...

10. NCbear

Gold Member

Thank you for posting this and reminding us all that not all Republicans are crazy fundamentalist nutjobs.

I could definitely vote for her.

NCbear (who wishes we could decouple the social and fiscal conservatives from each other--and the social and fiscal liberals from each other--so we could have more than two parties, thereby forcing people to collaborate in addressing the significant issues of our time with an eye toward solving problems instead of scoring political points to maintain power :cool:)

11. monel

Gold Member

Chris Christy just vetoed the same sex marriage bill in New Jersey. Apparently he has learned nothing from the history of the civil rights movement. He will live to regret this decision.

12. catman

Gold Member

there is talk that Christy wants a VP slot, so his doing this is "only" political, to appease... remind me again who?

13. cruztbone

Gold Member

god bless washington and the governor !!!

14. LoganSteele

LoganSteele New Member

Got semi-excited because I assumed WA meant Western Australia, unfortunately I forgot about americentrism... If in a forum which is not exclusively relevant to an American context please be conscious of the fact that not everyone is American.

Draft saved Draft deleted