Marriage rant

D_Manny_Petty

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i said i can sympathise, yes.
it's not easy being left at home, alone, to with the kids for months on end. i sympathise because my ex went offshore for 4 months when our son was barely 3 months old. no, i did not cheat. no, i do not advocate cheating. yes, i can sympathise with how bloody hard and painful and lonely her life may well have been. until you've been there you have no idea.

i can sympathise and i do sympathise.

what his job was doesn't make her life any easier. yes, it's brave and admirable. no, that doesn't make all her issues vanish.

i can sympathise with him too.
i'm good at that shit.

ok? and why didn't you cheat on your ex while he was away, more or less its probably because you LOVED him. You don't cheat on people you love, plain and simple.

put yourself in someone else's shoes. how would you feel if you left your house for months/years at a time and while you were gone, making money for your family...you husband was at home fucking some slut. and then to not find out about it directly from her, but your sister?

would you just come back home and try to act like everything will be okay and that you can fix things? well, i shouldn't have asked you that question because you wouldn't...or at least i hope you wouldn't. People with a sane mindset would know that it doesn't workout like that. this is the real world, get real.

when you get married, you make a commitment. a commitment to love the one your marrying, to be faithful to the one you are marrying...the list goes on. if you cheat on someone, you do not love them.

umami_tsunami

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So been in my marriage now 10 years been very very rocky the whole tome because we got married at a very young age. Just trying to vent really getting to that point and want to see what everyones opinion is. So before my deployment I gave up and left the marriage was going threw divorce

Were you separated? Did you have any agreement about seeing others at this time?

went few months

What do you mean by this?

and right before deployment wanted to fix things for my kids.
Do you mean reconcile with her?

So of course all deployment was rough fighting a war and
fixing a marriage-
what were you doing?

lol not easy. But anyway I get back and continue fixing things.
How? Did you try seeing a counselor?

2 years later my sister informs me she was sleeping with a guy after my mid tour leave. She admits but said everytime was drinking blah blah. Only reason I haven't left is my kids
So you don't love her anymore?

not easy getting rights as a soldier. So so now she gets jealous if I even talk to females even at work. So just looking for.other opinions before I blow up.

Don't blow up. That won't help you. You should speak to a therapist. Your first and most important question should be do you love her? Do you want to try to fix it and stay with her? Are you able to be completely honest with each other?

Last edited:

fire77

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
ok? and why didn't you cheat on your ex while he was away, more or less its probably because you LOVED him. You don't cheat on people you love, plain and simple.

put yourself in someone else's shoes. how would you feel if you left your house for months/years at a time and while you were gone, making money for your family...you husband was at home fucking some slut. and then to not find out about it directly from her, but your sister?

would you just come back home and try to act like everything will be okay and that you can fix things? well, i shouldn't have asked you that question because you wouldn't...or at least i hope you wouldn't. People with a sane mindset would know that it doesn't workout like that. this is the real world, get real.

when you get married, you make a commitment. a commitment to love the one your marrying, to be faithful to the one you are marrying...the list goes on. if you cheat on someone, you do not love them.

I understand his frustration and disappointment and I do agree with some of the things you said but you have to understand some people (men and women) have different personal needs than others, some women can wait years without doing anything and some can't be without sex/love/lust/affection for a long time same for men.

Because she had sex with another man doesn't make her a bad person, she is a good mother and taking good care of her kids and her home and by the look of things she is taking good care of her husband too.

It is up to the man to decide if she is worth staying with or not, yes she cheated because her husband was away for a long time and she couldn't hold on.

Because the wife cheated it doesn't means the husband have to destroy his home, family and change his kids lives completely.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
@dolfette: so because they had already had problems and they just got back together it was okay for her to cheat because she was "weak" and "unsure of the relationship" ... and you can sympothise?? Really, lol? How do you think he felt while he was overseas fighting for OUR freedom and his wife was at home having sex with another man. You simply can not sympothise something so cruel. It's one thing to cheat but when you do it to someone who is away fighting for your country and freedom that takes things to a whole different level. Taking back a woman like that would just show how weak you are.
You have no idea what it is like to be a military wife. It is really fucking hard, even when the relationship is good. People underestimate how hard it is to be the ones left behind, just because we don't face danger around every turn. The most important thing for a rocky relationship is communication, but when your sailor or soldier is underway or deployed, sometimes communication becomes impossible. The ombudsmen don't know anything, no one at the base will tell you anything, and because of OPSEC the sailor or soldier may not have even been able to let you know there would be no communication, or for how long. Nobody knows how to get drunk like active duty personnel on liberty. So you get these drunken bits of communication, and one of the things that linger in your head-space is the idea that your partner and his or her companions are smashed, in party mode, frequently with easy access to prostitution and gold-diggers, and green-card hunters.

This would all be hard enough to have in mind, but then there are the vultures at home. Sometimes acquaintances deliberately plant seeds of doubt. They tell the homefront partner lies and half-truths, distort existing situations, bring up old hurts. Sometimes they say only soothing things about how they understand the loneliness and fear, and work hard to win you over.

Meanwhile, the deployed and underway hearken back to their training. In boot camp, in order to unify them, they are told that their wives are whores who can't wait to cheat on them. They are told their families can never understand their experiences ever again. They are told to only trust the unit, the branch, the command. Thinking back to this part of training, in the middle of the communication problems and the residual feelings of resentment and disconnectedness, sometimes the deployed and underway begin to wonder things. "Why did my partner say it THAT way? What are they doing now?"

Maybe after a while there is an environment of hyper-sensitive feelings between the couple. There are too many perceived slights, even when there is nothing. Sometimes one or both of them cheats. The one at home usually has the most freedom to do so.

Then the deployed and underway return home. In my experience and observation, what happens is the household was functioning according to a good rhythm while the servicemember was away. Servicemembers come home, and instead of fitting themselves into the existing schedule and pace of the home, they jump in with both feet, and start making things go their way. It isn't malicious, and usually no one even realizes that's what's going on; they only notice the extra tension.

It can be easily understood when an Army wife cheats. Understood, not condoned. She's not some evil villain. She's just a fucked up human like the rest of us. They almost divorced, and then he was deployed for God knows how long. I wouldn't jump to conclusions as some in this thread have. As far as I recall, the OP said nothing about no longer being in love; only that he was unhappy. That's not exactly the same thing.

Now, if he loves her, and if she loves him, and if they both want to make their marriage work, not only for the kids, but also to revive their love, then what I suggest is that he contact Work-life and Tricare. Tricare Prime will give you each eight sessions with a mental health professional if you can get either a referral from your PCM or authorization from Tricare which is easy to do. Using that benefit, it is possible to get some marriage counseling for free.

Last edited:

hsarge

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dear altered ego, I know of what you speak. At one point I was a BasicTraining Drill Sergeant at both Ft Benning and Ft Jackson. The old refrain of 'jodie's got your girl and gone' was marching tempo to reinforce tothe recruit that he had no one he could depend on but his unit. We used that as a trick to raise anger during hand-to-hand and bayonet drills. 'There's Jodie, he' doing your girl at home. Kill that SOB. In Basic I didn' even have a girl at home, but it still got me angry. And then as unit cohesion built up, you let recruits drink together in the beer garden. First leave off base , they all were to look out for each other. Then you did every thing together, strip clubs, etc. That was the technique and often it was the same with R&R. And the tension on wives whose husbands were in combat was tough particularly if the chaplain had visited the block before. I' going on but I get it. Most don't.

D_Kitten_Kaboodle

Account Disabled
Media
It has been really interesting reading the responses. ((really)) :rolleyes:

a wide spectrum of advice....

I have two words: Marriage Counselor

If and only if you both want to make it work...you can,
but you need an objective, professional, mediator to help you both
see the other side more clearly.

hsarge

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Alteredego, thanks, but (as far as they know) all I did was what I was told; it worked better that way. Atlclgurl, I could have only wished to have a lady like you in my company/platoon.

MsThang

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
South Florida (recently relocated from NYC)
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
IMO most people stay in relationships when it is obvious it is over. Instead of playing the blame game just think that you both could be happier with other people and your children will be better off with happy parents. You both have to accept it will never work as a couple and figure out how to make it work as divorced parents.

hsarge

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You folks have little empathy for military wives. I new a beautiful young women who married lieutenant. He went Ranger and was gone for Panama jungle training. No sooner was he back, he was promoted and deployed. After six months of worrying she was to meet him in Hawaii. Then she got the knock on the door,a d the KIA. She was just getting back on her feet when the Army, five months later, decided to award her husband the DSC. They had a big ceremony and insisted she receive the medal. She went to the bottom of the bottle and it took everything for her friends to get her to the ceremony and back on her feet. People handle stress differently. Some look for a one night stand for a release. Others found a short term lover to rely on for the help they needed. Some went home to family but returning to family isn' always viable. Don't judge unless you have been in similar circumstances. Human beings have frailties and needs. None of us is perfect.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
lol, i can't say that! and nor can you.
actually i mostly felt resentment towards him at that point in our relationship. it never occurred to me to cheat... but why would it when i had a tiny baby, a sore cunt, leaking breasts, no social life, no sleep and no sex drive?

Missee75

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It`s too easy to generalise and jump to conclusions. Same way it`s very easy to shift the blame and let go of maybe a good thing.
It`s necessary always view the human behind the action. I fully agree with what has been written above by people with a direct insight.
IMO…I do not have any experience with a military marriage but 3 years ago my husband and I moved into a different country and from “normal” life when we both worked and enjoyed each other few hours a day and on weekends we ended up being together all the time…and I mean all the time, 24/7…him running his business from home and me having a new born baby and a toddler…and it was just shit. Depression from moving (him, no friends, didn`t speak the language), post natal depression (me)…it was hell…and load of bad stuff happened as a result of that. And we were in each other`s faces without any break…irritating the hell out of each other…
As I said, we were on a verge of calling it quits and then we just sat down a stared at each other and realised that we stopped seeing the person behind the angry and frustrated face… we needed help and fast. Gallons of tears later from both of us (heck, the truth hurts! And we had to talk to make it work) we learned how to communicate again and I dare to say we are very happy and I can`t imagine my days without him constantly next me…we are quite finely tuned now but it was not easy. Especially as the crisis came 8 years into our relationship and 5 into our marriage and we both though we knew each other…whiles we didn`t…we functioned well under normal circumstances but not well under stress…we both had high expectation of the other person and blamed each other for own unhappiness.
So my point here is that I KNOW that I never stopped loving my husband and he never stopped loving me…yet the love alone did not prevent us from making some moronic decisions (mostly as our coping mechanism at the time) and very hurtful decisions at some instances…and we needed to find the people behind the decisions and dig out the reasons for the decisions…as painful as it was…and military marriage is very stressful and if it has lasted already for 10 years there must be some foundations to rebuild on…otherwise it would have sunk a long time ago…
I say…try…not for the kid`s sake, for your own…seek help, talk, cry, shout and punch the wall…and let her do the same…if nothing else you get a better chance to work together as parents if it doesn`t work out. People change as they go through life…as much as you think you know her you may not any more (but it doesn`t mean you can`t love the person she has become over the years! You can maybe love her even more…but you need to take the time to get to know her) and vice versa!

Sorry for the essay…it just brought back so many memories and I sympathize…with both of you…
The thing is…I know you are hurting…but it doesn`t mean that she isn`t…and as much as she is viewed as the villain here by many, if she had a chance to write her side of the story many people may feel sympathy for her….life is hard, marriage is hard…love is hard…that`s just the it is…

Btw, 5 years ago I would had written something very judgemental towards your wife…so I see the reason behind those comments and kinda understand them. And then I was faced with the reality of my own marriage break up and it was all so different to what I could ever imagine…dark, deep abyss… theoretically as much as you do not cheat on a person serving his/her country you do not cheat on your wife who had just had your baby…the general opinion on this is unforgiving…you should show support at all times…but…very often there is no one to support you and just not to go crazy you find a way to cope…doesn’t make it any less hurtful but we are not robots…we can not generalize…try to see the person behind her decisions, pls…

Last edited:

umami_tsunami

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It`s too easy to generalise and jump to conclusions. Same way it`s very easy to shift the blame and let go of maybe a good thing.
It`s necessary always view the human behind the action. I fully agree with what has been written above by people with a direct insight.
IMO…I do not have any experience with a military marriage but 3 years ago my husband and I moved into a different country and from “normal” life when we both worked and enjoyed each other few hours a day and on weekends we ended up being together all the time…and I mean all the time, 24/7…him running his business from home and me having a new born baby and a toddler…and it was just shit. Depression from moving (him, no friends, didn`t speak the language), post natal depression (me)…it was hell…and load of bad stuff happened as a result of that. And we were in each other`s faces without any break…irritating the hell out of each other…
As I said, we were on a verge of calling it quits and then we just sat down a stared at each other and realised that we stopped seeing the person behind the angry and frustrated face… we needed help and fast. Gallons of tears later from both of us (heck, the truth hurts! And we had to talk to make it work) we learned how to communicate again and I dare to say we are very happy and I can`t imagine my days without him constantly next me…we are quite finely tuned now but it was not easy. Especially as the crisis came 8 years into our relationship and 5 into our marriage and we both though we knew each other…whiles we didn`t…we functioned well under normal circumstances but not well under stress…we both had high expectation of the other person and blamed each other for own unhappiness.
So my point here is that I KNOW that I never stopped loving my husband and he never stopped loving me…yet the love alone did not prevent us from making some moronic decisions (mostly as our coping mechanism at the time) and very hurtful decisions at some instances…and we needed to find the people behind the decisions and dig out the reasons for the decisions…as painful as it was…and military marriage is very stressful and if it has lasted already for 10 years there must be some foundations to rebuild on…otherwise it would have sunk a long time ago…
I say…try…not for the kid`s sake, for your own…seek help, talk, cry, shout and punch the wall…and let her do the same…if nothing else you get a better chance to work together as parents if it doesn`t work out. People change as they go through life…as much as you think you know her you may not any more (but it doesn`t mean you can`t love the person she has become over the years! You can maybe love her even more…but you need to take the time to get to know her) and vice versa!

Sorry for the essay…it just brought back so many memories and I sympathize…with both of you…
The thing is…I know you are hurting…but it doesn`t mean that she isn`t…and as much as she is viewed as the villain here by many, if she had a chance to write her side of the story many people may feel sympathy for her….life is hard, marriage is hard…love is hard…that`s just the it is…

Btw, 5 years ago I would had written something very judgemental towards your wife…so I see the reason behind those comments and kinda understand them. And then I was faced with the reality of my own marriage break up and it was all so different to what I could ever imagine…dark, deep abyss… theoretically as much as you do not cheat on a person serving his/her country you do not cheat on your wife who had just had your baby…the general opinion on this is unforgiving…you should show support at all times…but…very often there is no one to support you and just not to go crazy you find a way to cope…doesn’t make it any less hurtful but we are not robots…we can not generalize…try to see the person behind her decisions, pls…

umm... Post of the day.