Married To A Gay Man

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There are three kids I have to consider. Two of them being from a previous marriage, they and have seen a lot in their short life. As you said, if I stay I will have the financial stability and would be able to maintain our structured life. As I mentioned before, there are many pros staying with him. He is a wonderful man; he loves me, and is not abusive in any kind of way. The issue I have is: cheating on him. I was not brought up that way but I have considered it to make this work. Thank you for your advice. It really hits home. Like I said this is the problem I am struggling with most. How long have the two of you been divorced?

We've been apart for ten years (the divorce took a while, so we've only been officially divorced for six years). It was hell because I loved him very much. We had a great house, nice life, financial stability, etc. etc.

IT TOOK ME SEVEN YEARS TO RECOVER FINANCIALLY, AND THE KIDS SUFFERED.

My ex and I are now good friends and very close. Very close. I know it would have worked out just fine if I had not had such a fairy tale - and selfish - view of marriage.

I think he has SHOWN you the way that he is willing to stay married. I would take that as a example.

As to the sex, your husband may be scared to give you an STD. Mine was -- and we always wore condoms (my only birth control at the time)(we had three kids and were done) -- I'm glad we did because he caught a major STD, and I am STD free.

So I would additionally advise this: No more unprotected sex with your husband. Also, get tested every few months. Both of you, whether or not you have sex with anyone else. He can still be a carrier and give something to you.

I guess my recommended read is: The Proper Care and Feeding Of Husbands (by Dr. Laura) which is a great book to keep marriages together. But in your case, there needs to be a major revision in chapter that's about sex. Make up a chapter of your own on that subject. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

Last edited:

B_mylipswet

Experimental Member
Media
In your mind until you meet me eye to eye if you d
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Odedipus or Orestes????????????
Let's say I know someone who I had my doubts about and claimed to be completely straight only to discover what many have overlooked. He had alot of problems with his relationship with his mother and that was one thing that held me back from letting him too close. Much to my surprise I focused in on a screen name he had used "ORESTES"then I read this in depth, I hope it helps you.
Oedipus or Orestes? Homosexual Men, Their Mothers, and Other Women Revisited -- Goldsmith 49 (4): 1269 -- Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association

bek2335

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
"You have to be careful about making assumptions like this. Some guys mature more quickly than others do. Some people have very quick, good, sharp faculties of judgment. Others have very complex minds, and can take forever to make a decision."

I might buy this argument for a kid who's 12 14 16 years old, but an adult male considering marriage is most certainly mature enough and has had enough years os wisdom and should have enough self awareness to know if he's gay or str8, same goes for women. and if you're not mature enough to figure that out you have NO business getting married!

people have to take responsibility for themselves, too many let family friends society & church influence their minds instead of listening to their own thoughts and feelings at every age. rationalization (lying to yourself) to conform to someone else's standards is catastophic for all concerned.

i don't think it's possible for a man to go through 30 yrs (40,50 whatever) of life and suddenly turn gay. those feelings are hardwired into your dna just like blue eyes and brown hair, if you choose to repress them for whatever reason that's your fault and you should be held accountable if you're selfish enough to ruin other people's lives by denying who you are. be a man grow a pair and quit offering bullshit excuses about maturing later than the rest of us. own your ego and your id.

thadjack, I usually like your posts and I usually agree with you. But in this case I think you may be assuming that everyone else's experience and perspective is the same as yours, and if they say differently they are self-deceptive or lying. We all continue to grow and develop and change as long as we are alive and conscious, and each of us does that at his or her own pace and on his or her own path.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
what stuns me about this thread is that women tell other women to cling to fukd up relationships with total cheating assholes for money

exposing your kid to that fukd up environment is child abuse.

are those the values you want your kid to aspire to?

how can women encourage men to do that to them, you're a person have some self respect.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
thadjack, I usually like your posts and I usually agree with you. But in this case I think you may be assuming that everyone else's experience and perspective is the same as yours, and if they say differently they are self-deceptive or lying. We all continue to grow and develop and change as long as we are alive and conscious, and each of us does that at his or her own pace and on his or her own path.

I totally agree that people "grow" at different paces. but this whole thread and the OP is about the post awareness stage, both parties have already admitted to and are aware of the lie, and instead of correcting the mistake they compound by complicating it further for peripheral reasons that have nothing to do with making anybody whole again. I know that these are not complete people and the reason they got together in the first place was out of pure co-dependency, but the kids deserve better than "stay together for financial security" lots of kids grow up poor and with one parent, and do just fine, one of them happens to be our president now. staying together in a fukd up relationship cuz u like the money, is child abuse.

this woman, and apparently alot of the other posters here needs a team of therapists to help her with this and reading Dr. Laura's book on how to keep your marriage together aint gonna do it.

B_bflr

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
you're giving me shit about being arrogant and ignorant??? after posting THIS:

A FINAL NOTE TO YOUR WIFE AND SWEETMISSY: THERE IS NO MAN WORTH THIS HELL, YOU HAVE FREE WILL TO LEAVE THIS LOSER AND GET YOUR LIFE BACK!

I think sweetmissy will be the best judge of the worth of my post intended for her.

Other men who have been in my shoes, and women who have been in her shoes, probably have a good amount to share.

Your attacks on me (not just my words) say a lot about you, but not about the OP or her situation.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Unfortunately I know someone who is headed for exactly this type of hell.
OP, you need to leave and not feel bad about it. This man broke your trust. He lied to you. He cheated on you. Repeatedly.

That is NOT love.

Please don't think you'll do the kids any favors by staying in a bad relationship.

Do YOURSELF a favor and free yourself to maybe one day find the one who is willing and able to fulfill your needs.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think sweetmissy will be the best judge of the worth of my post intended for her.

Other men who have been in my shoes, and women who have been in her shoes, probably have a good amount to share.

Your attacks on me (not just my words) say a lot about you, but not about the OP or her situation.

it's clear your detachment from reality doesn't allow you to see how self absorbed you really are. every post you have on this thread is flooded with "I"s "ME"s and "MY"s you're not the victim, you're the perpetrator.

I'd love to hear from all the people you and your wife have used and dumped along your tragic journey and why you consider inflicting your misery on them just the normal cost of doing business as you desperately try to patch the hull of your sinking marriage. On what planet is ANY of that NOT morally repugnant?

it's not just about YOU

what about the married man your wife is carrying on with, what about HIS family????? when did adultery stop being a sin? your actions have consequenses, even if you don't have a conscience.

Last edited:

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Unfortunately I know someone who is headed for exactly this type of hell.
OP, you need to leave and not feel bad about it. This man broke your trust. He lied to you. He cheated on you. Repeatedly.

That is NOT love.

Please don't think you'll do the kids any favors by staying in a bad relationship.

Do YOURSELF a favor and free yourself to maybe one day find the one who is willing and able to fulfill your needs.

thank god another sane voice! LOL

B_bflr

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
it's clear your detachment from reality doesn't allow you to see how self absorbed you really are. every post you have on this thread is flooded with "I"s "ME"s and "MY"s you're not the victim, you're the perpetrator.

thadjock: how many children do you have? With how many women have you had a committed relationship? Personal pronouns aside, it seems you are putting a huge focus on me, rather than sweetmissy and her situation.

I'd love to hear from all the people you and your wife have used and dumped along your tragic journey and why you consider inflicting your misery on them just the normal cost of doing business as you desperately try to patch the hull of your sinking marriage. On what planet is ANY of that NOT morally repugnant?

Who's marriage are you referring to? Mine is not sinking.

it's not just about YOU
Nor is it about you and your assumptions.

what about the married man your wife is carrying on with, what about HIS family????? when did adultery stop being a sin?

Not sure. Maybe around the time sodomy stopped being a sin. Your question reminds me of the time when I was seeing a gay man that was madly in love with me. All the sex he and I had was apparently fine until I dumped him, at which point he reminded me how adamantly he believed that adultery is wrong. So maybe according to gay men it depends on what's in it for them?

I do not deny being an adulterer by some definitions. So I have at least that one fault.

your actions have consequenses, even if you don't have a conscience.

Don't I know it!

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
BLFR and Not Puny: Obviously this thread has split into two camps, and they are probably irreconcilable, but I wanted to say (from someone in your tent) that I think your bravery in telling your stories is inspiring. It is harder than hell to really live through these situations instead of be a sidelines expert. You have both been willing to put your realities out there, and your compassion is enormous.

Of course, since I have walked in these shoes for a very long time, I am prone to agree with you. NO point in my vilifying those I don't agree with further, but there is always a point in thanking those who make deep, thoughtful additions to our threads especially when they are so personally difficult.

For the record, I despise Dr. Laura, but I completely agree with the rule that got posted: the kid first. There are arguments both ways, that leaving is better or that staying is better, but I advise the OP to make her decision based on what she believes is best for her child and her family.

sweetmissy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One quote I like and question is: "Children would rather live outside a broken home than in one". With that being said, I’m worried that staying in an unhappy marriage could be worse in the long run. Kids absorb everything and learn by example. I want to show my children what a relationship should be like and how a couple should interact. I may inadvertently be teaching them that a marriage is supposed to include constant arguing and lack of affection and compromise and mutual interests by ending an unhappy marriage, however hard, it may also teach them to pursue happiness and fulfillment in their own relationships and to know when the relationship is unhealthy.

Last edited:

B_bflr

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
One quote I like and question is: "Children would rather live outside a broken home than in one". With that being said, I’m worried that staying in an unhappy marriage could be worse in the long run. Kids absorb everything and learn by example. I want to show my children what a relationship should be like and how a couple should interact. I may inadvertently be teaching them that a marriage is supposed to include constant arguing and lack of affection and compromise and mutual interests by ending an unhappy marriage, however hard, it may also teach them to pursue happiness and fulfillment in their own relationships and to know when the relationship is unhealthy.

Good point about what the children observe in how their parents treat each other.

In my marriage, I do keep in mind that our daughter learns from me how a woman should be treated, and how to treat a man. Our son learns how a man treats a woman. From my wife our daughter learns how to treat a man, and our son learns how a woman ought to treat a man.

The parents become the standards.

All that said, the issue of adultery is not something that has been put on display or in the earshot of our children.

It may very well be that a girl should not be seeing her mother miserable or put up with an intolerable situation. Nor should the girl see

Then there is the question of what does the daughter see and hear?

My parents were unfaithful to each other. I didn't know this until I was an adult. It explained what the fighting was about. I'm glad they stayed together. My dad, for all his faults, stuck with my mom who died a slow death due to an incurable disease. They kept their promise "for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health". They did it imperfectly, but they did it. As a child I hated their fighting. It scared me. As an adult, as a husband, as a father, I understand it better. Like I said, I'm glad they stayed together.

But each situation is different, so again, I encourage you to do what is best for your children.

To the other point:
I may inadvertently be teaching them that a marriage is supposed to include constant arguing and lack of affection and compromise and mutual interests by ending an unhappy marriage, however hard, it may also teach them to pursue happiness and fulfillment in their own relationships and to know when the relationship is unhealthy.

The truth is, marriage will include some arguing, some periods lackign affection, and some compromise. No relationship involving humans is perfectly healthy. That's life. No one ever gets everything he or she wants. That is a fantasy which many seem to have going into marriage, and which leads to divorce because the fantasy isn't realized. The pursuit of happiness and fulfillment will include disappointments and the likelihood of not attaining perfect happiness and fulfillment. To leave a difficult situation JUST because of a lack of complete happiness and fulfillment, is selfish in my opinion, especially if that is a higher priority than what is best for the children.

I hope the continuing dialog (minus the "static") is helping you sweetmissy.

One more thing: if you are being abused, please read the books by Patricia Evans about abusive relationships. She is brilliant.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Like Bflr, I agree that this is a serious issue worthy of real consideration. My one encouragement is that once my wife and I decided to stay together, and my sexuality was no longer a secret or a cause for shame, our sex life improved a great deal. There are a lot of reasons for your husbands coldness that COULD (not saying they WILL) improve if you talk your marriage through in light of what you now know to be a basic fact. In other words, don't overlook that things might change for the better. You may be teaching her that problems can be worked through, and loving adults can find a way to compromise. My 2 cents worth today.

sweetmissy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. I have received a lot of different opinions, none that I would say is wrong…Just opinions. The advice has been very helpful in this stressful situation. I do not have too many people that I can talk to about this. I did not want bias opinions from family members or friends. So, thank you all…This is an awesome forum with some great people!

Sugababy22

Just Browsing
Media
If a man is married and starts banging other men, discovering he likes men more and we were married (with children)? One even wrote it took 7 years of financial recovery. Maybe its the case some people will value continuity over "oh that cheating ho, bringing me home sloppy seconds". If it meant that we would be good friends over all, share a house together as a couple would, to keep the children stable, ensuring financial success...oh yes, long as I'm on that money train.. he can go screw all the guys he wants and I can go suck dick or whatever with my boytoys..is it so bad? AND long as he don't ever be bringing tricks into the house - I don't want no ho's around my house. There is great cost to divorce and the wreckage it can leave. I mean hell, sure he might like dick but don't forget I can still make him cum and blow like a volcano - he didn't marry for no reason. Ok, that's gonna get sugar started. lol enough.

Last edited:

B_bflr

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
If a man is married and starts banging other men, discovering he likes men more and we were married (with children)? One even wrote it took 7 years of financial recovery. Maybe its the case some people will value continuity over "oh that cheating ho, bringing me home sloppy seconds". If it meant that we would be good friends over all, share a house together as a couple would, to keep the children stable, ensuring financial success...oh yes, long as I'm on that money train.. he can go screw all the guys he wants and I can go suck dick or whatever with my boytoys..is it so bad? AND long as he don't ever be bringing tricks into the house - I don't want no ho's around my house. There is great cost to divorce and the wreckage it can leave. I mean hell, sure he might like dick but don't forget I can still make him cum and blow like a volcano - he didn't marry for no reason. Ok, that's gonna get sugar started. lol enough.

True enough. In fact, my wife has gotten so good at giving me head, because she knows all the right spots, and pressure, and stuff, the she does it better than any man I've been with, even with my special guy.

And yeah I make six figures, take good care of her (in the many ways there are) and my children.

There's something to be said about not rocking the boat, as long as priorities are straight.