Martha Stewart

Javierdude22: The verdict is out, convicted.

Hm, since the verdict is guilty, I am glad that they caught on to her. It is time these people knew they are not above the law.

White collar crime is more costly than the conventional crimes, and too often they get away with it. Always the little man that hs to pay.

Good job.

SpeedoGuy: The little guys lose money from their market based retirement plans because the big shots like Martha feel themselves to be above the law.

Glad to see her take the hit.

SG

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, Dave Chappelle did an LA Law parody where this CEO was treated like any other criminal and a drug dealer got the deluxe treatment that only white-collar criminals get.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually, I was surprised at the verdict.

Within the past week, the judge had dismissed the key charge [I thought.] of insider trading. My logic was that if there was no evidence of insider trading, how could the other charges stand. Now I know.

jay

blar: yes i was soooo glad to see the verdict i thought she was going to get away...now the question is will she go to jail? I don't think so (but i hope so). I really could not stand people saying they felt sorry for her....she's a crook! wake up!!! lol

plus have you heard what her defense story was. because if she got free off of that crumy story i would start looking into insider trader and say the same story she did if i were to get caught :D

White collar crime is more costly than the conventional crimes, and too often they get away with it. Always the little man that hs to pay.

I know! have you seen the jails that these corrupt ceos and other white collar crime type people get? its not a jail...i'll tell you that much. Heck....they screw millions from people and screw the economy(in some cases) yet they get sent to a large manson looking jail lol

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
marthastewart_livingbehindbars.jpg

lacsap1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
White collar crime is 90 times more costly than street crime, and yet no one seems to want to address the problem. Many of the ones who commit white
collar crimes are the same ones who have the power to decide where funding goes. The upper class has the money, and the voting and legislative power to decide
whether law enforcement will even deal with white collar crime. When the corrupt have the power, "justice" in America is a farce, and white collar crime will continue to decay our country's structure.

str8_nnj: She'll be going away. The standards are pretty well set.
Once again it was lying and conspiracy,that got her. If she had admitted to the original charge and took the fine,she probably would have gotten away with maybe a $100.000 fine and slapped wrist, and she would've been headlines for a week,and kept most of her $450 mill.
But since greed and power has been her signature for the last ten years it was only a matter of time.
Some folks may not realize that Ole Martha was once a stock market trader (7 years)...she had to know the law,
and she once pulled a quickie on K-mart, convinced them to purchase a home in Conn (I believe) for some reason........K-mart had no idea that she had already brought it!!
....as she once had said."ah yes it's good to know a broker who will tell you things like that".....
...I hope she gets to make her muffins in the minimun security palace......12 to 18 months...minimun

grantstephens: What about the broker? Did he get busted too? I've been searching for more info on him, but Martha gets all the press for obvious reasons.

My wife and my mom are bummed that she got busted cause they so much loved her show and mag, but they never used the advice.

oldman9x7: Too bad that her name isn't Martha Kennedy. Possibly then her sentence might have been, "Life in the U.S. Senate."

Gramps

Tender: i think they are just picking on her.
her trial wasnt fair.
8 jurrors were women, only four men.
some of the evidence was not provable, and was wishy washy at that.
as far as the money stuff, i guess i just dont understand it all.
it was her money, her stocks, who cares what she did with it. she could have sold it whenever she wanted for any amount of money, it was hers. ?

Tender

grantstephens: Tender,

If my reading serves me right, the charge of insider trading was dropped and her punishable crimes have to do with obstruction of justice and purjury. It seems as if she just would have been honest with the courts, she be working on MSOmnimedia right now.

shortchanged: Tender.......just because you don't agree with the outcome doesn't mean it wasn't fair! And what difference is the 8/4 ratio of women to men in the jury pool?

Evidence "wishy washy"........they had her assistant state that Martha said it was "nice having a broker that would tell you things like that". (illegal insider info). They had evidence that she tried to cover the illegal trade with a made up order to sell the stock if it reached the $60 per share level. This was proven......and she should have just admitted early on what she did and taken the fine. But she was Martha Stewart......and pride and a feeling she could be above the law and everyone else got the better of her.

.......now she'll pay the poor man's price of crime, and do a leg in the big house. Minimum security, in any case.....

.......imagine if she shares a bunk with an "insistant" lesbian.........THAT would be Martha Stewart..........LIVING!

Geeze........it was this kind of lying to the public and breaking the rules that caused the Enron fiasco.....costing thousands a happy retirement and all their jobs to boot!

[quote author=Tender link=board=99;num=1078533989;start=0#11 date=03/09/04 at 08:59:12]i think they are just picking on her.
her trial wasnt fair.
8 jurrors were women, only four men.
some of the evidence was not provable, and was wishy washy at that.
as far as the money stuff, i guess i just dont understand it all.
it was her money, her stocks, who cares what she did with it. she could have sold it whenever she wanted for any amount of money, it was hers. ?

Tender [/quote]

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
[quote author=HungArnold link=board=99;num=1078533989;start=0#14 date=03/10/04 at 03:43:37]What you sew, shall you reap.[/quote]

:D :D Wish I'd said that.

joe: Iam more concerned about GW BUSHezzz friends assholes

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
More and more, I find myself unable to neither to be surprised nor sympathetic to Martha Stewart's case. Let's be fair afterall: she DID violate the securities act of 1936, and deliberately obstructed an investigation of it.
She won't get hard time, but then again, she won't be let off the hook with a simple slap on the wrist, either.

All told, she fucked up for being greedy & wound up taking it in the ass, and getting reamed for it.

oldman9x7: I keep marveling at the UNdefense that her lawyers presented. They must have thought that the government had shot itself in the foot. WRONG!!!!

Gramps