Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by crewkid, Dec 1, 2004.

1. crewkid

crewkid Member

Albums:
    Hey,

Thinking of starting up Shotokan (a style of Martial Arts) just curious if anyone has experienced any problems with size and any form of martial arts.

thanks.

2. KinkGuy

Gold Member

None other than trying to get a cup big enough.

3. Pappy

Pappy Member

And you should definitely wear a cup!!

4. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wear a cup while fencing (saber). The cup causes an embarrasingly large bulge in my knickers but doesn't impede movement.

SG

5. Imported

Gold Member

clownboots19: Best thing about taking Karate is the changing room afterwords..that should be quite interesting....

6. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Probably finding a plastic cup strong enough to resist thrust/ snap kicks is a real test in its self

7. kahuna9995

kahuna9995 New Member

The only problems I had when I praticed Tae Kwon Do was finding
    a large enough cup that wouldn't rip my trousers when we did splits.
    Also quite uncomfortable when the cup would touch the ground when
    doing the splits.

8. HungArnold

HungArnold New Member

What brand of Jock and Cup do you use?

9. Bluespeedoz

Bluespeedoz New Member

Albums:
    Hi

I wear a extra large safe-t-guard cage cup or an adidas microlight hard cup for climbing. I don't find either that comfortable but there again the point of wearing a cup is to protect a toolbox which these do very well.

10. Imported

Gold Member

Captin_hung: ive been doing muay thai for about 3 years now and i found that the plastic cups dont really stand up to the punishment (i kick my mate by accident and the cup folded in ouch) so i found some metal cups i wear them i just feel safer lol

11. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

In Isshin Ryu, there is a great deal of emphasis on quick power, so you really have to shop around for a plastic cup that is extremely impact resistant, along with extra padding so you aren't pissing cherry wine after an accidental snap kick gets through.

Incidently, there Speedoguy, I wasn't aware that fencing was ever really considered a martial art.

12. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Maitre 'd arms, Charles Selberg, one of the few Americans to win gold in international competition, has described it as one of the few western martial arts, along with boxing and wrestling.

SG

13. jonb

Gold Member

What about capoeira? It actually looks like dancing.

14. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    This thread intrigued me about the definition of "martial art" so decided I'd better look it up. I always assumed the term "martial art" simply meant something like "combat sport" but according to the definition I found its this:

martial art - Any of several Asian arts of combat or self-defense, such as aikido, karate, judo, or tae kwon do, usually practiced as sport. Often used in the plural.

So, it seems that western style foil, epee or saber don't fall into under that definition.

Regardless, I agree about the need for protection during fencing. I learned the hard way. Before I started wearing a cup I fenced "bareback" until one day I fenced Selberg himself with saber. I underestimated just how fast he could move. Advancing quicker than thought itself, he executed a ballestra while I threw a stop cut at his wrist that clanged on his guard. He then delivered a beautiful chest cut in 4th that carried through and whipped me on the glans. The pain was so intense I thought I had suffered nerve damage in my penis and I fell writhing onto the strip. I lay there contorted in pain until I gathered the courage to grip myself and see if I could still feel anything. Luckily, tingling eventually returned and I staggered away.

But that kind of blow is rare. I fence foil or saber and for both I use a sturdy plastic cup shaped like a curved tear drop. Its main effect is to protect against direct thrusts and whippy carryover hits. It has padded edges but I can't remember the manufacturer name or model. Its at the salle now which is closed for the holidays. I'll can try to indentify it in January for you.

allez!

SG

15. jonb

Gold Member

Ah, a debate about a definition. ::lip synching in Mandarin:: We must kung fu fight!

16. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    Cups for Jocks who Fence or do Martial Arts. Years ago in my younger days I did experiment with various styles of Jock straps and Hard Cups.

I have found two which are very effective. In reference to the padded long slim model that was discussed in an earlier post, I do believe he was discussing the "Bike Proflex 2 Hard Cup."

Another model I appreciated was the Banana Hard Cup. It comes with a supporter and is yellow. You can also obtain a clear model. They are wide and appear to be the Cup of choice for Baseball Players who "Catch" the ball.

I hope this helps.

Forgot to state that you can check out the hard cups at:

International Jock

17. HungArnold

HungArnold New Member

Hung, thanks for the tip!

18. thelastoneever2000

thelastoneever2000 New Member

i recently went to UF to visit my girlfriend and we went to a Kung Fu class. jumping jacks during warm ups were funny.

19. UgotMales

UgotMales New Member

get yourself a good jock strap to keep it up out of kick and punch range your you are gonna have one brused snake

20. JanumSaleem

JanumSaleem Member

back up off the copeira... roda for life!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted