Martial Arts

crewkid

Experimental Member
Media
Hey,

Thinking of starting up Shotokan (a style of Martial Arts) just curious if anyone has experienced any problems with size and any form of martial arts.

thanks.

clownboots19: Best thing about taking Karate is the changing room afterwords..that should be quite interesting....

kahuna9995

Just Browsing
Media
The only problems I had when I praticed Tae Kwon Do was finding
a large enough cup that wouldn't rip my trousers when we did splits.
Also quite uncomfortable when the cup would touch the ground when
doing the splits.

Bluespeedoz

Expert Member
Media
Hi

I wear a extra large safe-t-guard cage cup or an adidas microlight hard cup for climbing. I don't find either that comfortable but there again the point of wearing a cup is to protect a toolbox which these do very well.

Captin_hung: ive been doing muay thai for about 3 years now and i found that the plastic cups dont really stand up to the punishment (i kick my mate by accident and the cup folded in ouch) so i found some metal cups i wear them i just feel safer lol

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In Isshin Ryu, there is a great deal of emphasis on quick power, so you really have to shop around for a plastic cup that is extremely impact resistant, along with extra padding so you aren't pissing cherry wine after an accidental snap kick gets through.

Incidently, there Speedoguy, I wasn't aware that fencing was ever really considered a martial art.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK@Dec 7 2004, 03:49 PM

Incidently, there Speedoguy, I wasn't aware that fencing was ever really considered a martial art.

Maitre 'd arms, Charles Selberg, one of the few Americans to win gold in international competition, has described it as one of the few western martial arts, along with boxing and wrestling.

SG

hung

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Cups for Jocks who Fence or do Martial Arts. Years ago in my younger days I did experiment with various styles of Jock straps and Hard Cups.

I have found two which are very effective. In reference to the padded long slim model that was discussed in an earlier post, I do believe he was discussing the "Bike Proflex 2 Hard Cup."

Another model I appreciated was the Banana Hard Cup. It comes with a supporter and is yellow. You can also obtain a clear model. They are wide and appear to be the Cup of choice for Baseball Players who "Catch" the ball.

I hope this helps.

Forgot to state that you can check out the hard cups at:

International Jock

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by iglanid@Dec 7 2019, 08:09 PM

whether fencing is technically a martial art or not, a foil, epee or saber hurts just as damn much as a foot when applied to the groin. while this topic started originally as martial arts, it has transformed to cups, and so a cup in any sport would now be a valid post. speedoguy, what cup do you use in fencing? i fence (foil) and find that any sort of cup rubs horrendously with the sideways forward-back movement. luckily i hardly recieve knocks to the groin as the foil target is restricted to the torso and back, but an occasional stray foil hits.
iglanid

This thread intrigued me about the definition of "martial art" so decided I'd better look it up. I always assumed the term "martial art" simply meant something like "combat sport" but according to the definition I found its this:

martial art - Any of several Asian arts of combat or self-defense, such as aikido, karate, judo, or tae kwon do, usually practiced as sport. Often used in the plural.

So, it seems that western style foil, epee or saber don't fall into under that definition.

Regardless, I agree about the need for protection during fencing. I learned the hard way. Before I started wearing a cup I fenced "bareback" until one day I fenced Selberg himself with saber. I underestimated just how fast he could move. Advancing quicker than thought itself, he executed a ballestra while I threw a stop cut at his wrist that clanged on his guard. He then delivered a beautiful chest cut in 4th that carried through and whipped me on the glans. The pain was so intense I thought I had suffered nerve damage in my penis and I fell writhing onto the strip. I lay there contorted in pain until I gathered the courage to grip myself and see if I could still feel anything. Luckily, tingling eventually returned and I staggered away.

But that kind of blow is rare. I fence foil or saber and for both I use a sturdy plastic cup shaped like a curved tear drop. Its main effect is to protect against direct thrusts and whippy carryover hits. It has padded edges but I can't remember the manufacturer name or model. Its at the salle now which is closed for the holidays. I'll can try to indentify it in January for you.

allez!

SG