Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary dead at 72

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary dead at 72

Mary Travers, one-third of the hugely popular 1960s folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary, has died. The band's publicist, Heather Lylis, says Travers died at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut on Wednesday. She was 72 and had battled leukemia for several years. Travers joined forces with Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey in the early 1960s. The trio mingled their music with liberal politics, both onstage and off. Their version of "If I Had a Hammer" became an anthem for racial equality. Other hits included "Lemon Tree," "Leaving on a Jet Plane" and "Puff (The Magic Dragon.)"

They were early champions of Bob Dylan and performed his "Blowin' in the Wind" at the August 1963 March on Washington. And they were vehement in their opposition to the Vietnam War, managing to stay true to their liberal beliefs while creating music that resonated in the American mainstream. The group collected five Grammy Awards for their three-part harmony on enduring songs like "Leaving on a Jet Plane," "Puff (The Magic Dragon)" and "Blowin' in the Wind." At one point in 1963, three of their albums were in the top six Billboard best-selling LPs as they became the biggest stars of the folk revival movement.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wow I didn't know she was sick. They weren't one of my faves but appreciated them when I saw them on tv and I did like her voice. Oh RIP Mary! I always wondered why Mary never started a solo career like Mama Cass did.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wow I didn't know she was sick. They weren't one of my faves but appreciated them when I saw them on tv and I did like her voice. Oh RIP Mary! I always wondered why Mary never started a solo career like Mama Cass did.

This really saddens me. I thought she and Cass Elliot possessed two of the most unique and beautiful voices I've ever heard.

Hells, Mary did have a solo career, but it was only mildy successful. She put out 3 or 4 albums. I still have them put away somewhere. I thought they were very good. I'll miss her amazing voice.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sad indeed, I have them on my ipod shuffle, it always cheered me up to hear their songs when I was far from home and feeling down. Rest in peace.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
It is sad that we have lost many extremely talented women in the music field who never had the chance to be appreciated on the level that they deserved.

Mary Travers had been physically having problems for some time. I saw her in Los Angeles about 7 years ago. At that time she had gained an incredible amount of weight and it became obvious that this weight gain had a negative impact on her singing because it impacted her breathing.

Cass Elliot also fought her weight and it was her weight that contributed to her death. For a time, Spanky McFarland of Spanky and Our Gang the singing group did some revival tours when the remainder of the Mama's and Papa's were still living. Mackenzie Phillips substituted for her Mother Michelle. They were absolutely great, but, they just did not make the same magic.

The biggest loss was Karen Carpenter, she had musical talent that totally eclipsed that of her Brother Richard. Towards the later years of the Carpenters I was a working Union Musician in Los Angeles. I did many gigs at A&M Records in Hollywood and met both Karen and Richard miltiple times. I did not however do any work for them specifically. Richard and I shared an interest in collecting Chrysler automobiles and those cars instigated many conservations.

Good bye Mary, I loved you and your work. . . .It won't be the same without you.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...Mama's and Papa's were still living. Mackenzie Phillips substituted for her Mother Michelle. ]
That would be Stepmother. Mackenzie's birth mother was/is Suzy January (a.k.a.Susan Adams).

As to Mary Travers, a wonderful, sweet soothing voice, which will be greatly missed.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Her voice on "Leaving on a Jet Plane" (written by John Denver) was one of the most perfect moments of '60s music ...

Agreed. I'm listening to it now...

This really saddens me. I thought she and Cass Elliot possessed two of the most unique and beautiful voices I've ever heard.

I liked the music the Mamas & the Papas, but Mama Cass's songs have a special place in my heart. She was one of a kind.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I too loved Cass's solo stuff. But what she brought to the Mamas & Papas was amazing. Their songs would not have sounded nearly as good without her harmonies. The same can be said about Mary and PP&M.