Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm really happy for my friends in Maryland, and what this means in the march for equality generally; but I grew up across the river from Maryland and I doubt I'll ever get over my deep-seated biases. To paraphrase JFK, it's a bizarre transition state that combines all the tolerance of the South with the charm of the North. No, gracias.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
More news: The state senate has passed the bill, so now it goes to the Governor. He already said he'll sign it. I'd be really happy to finally have my marriage fully recognized by my state.

Same-sex marriage bill approved by Maryland Senate - Maryland Politics - The Washington Post

Of course this will likely spark an attempt to put same sex marriage on the ballot for November. Apparently, back in July 50% of MD residents supported gay marriage, while 44% opposed it - but that says NOTHING about likely voters. We'll see how things go.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's of critical importance to have a team of PROFESSIONALS working on the referendum. The fact that the GOvernor is behind this law is positive. If the goverator had gotten strongly behing No on 8 it probably would not have passed. Folks need to be ready for lots of catholic and mormon church money to hit the airwaves and call it for what it is.

SR_Dee_Zasther

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, in the Governator's defense, the HRC and EQCA really, really botched the campaign, and thought it was going to be a cakewalk. They were a little blindsided by the amount of support and money the Mormon church pumped into the Prop 8 campaign, but those on the side of equality spent even more money and just did a shitty job of it. Arnold has always been a supporter of gay rights, and refused to appeal the same-sex marriage ruling and the ruling that over-turned Prop 8, which basically should have killed the issue in the court system except for the far-right groups that got a bunch of high priced lawyers to argue that they could defend Prop 8 even if the government wouldn't.

Kudos to Maryland for getting on the right side of equality and history.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Didn't it pass the judicial system in New Jersey? I think I read where their Governor Chrispy (or somethlng like that) said he would veto it.

He'd rather have flags hung at half-mast for Whitney than give equal rights to gays.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Now that O'Malley has signed it into law there are the
Expected problems.

First up, it won't take effect until next January
Second A voter referendum is expected and the state is considered equally divided,

In the words of Curtis Mayfield, "We'll just keep on pushin'." :smile:

Edit: Oops. No, the double entendre was not intended. But . . . there it is.

kayman

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
While is the 'northernmost Southern state' with the highest percentage of black residents of any state in the Union, I feel this is a narrative that may tear any political unity that existed there. I can see black progressives splitting from the black theologians and traditionalists.

Hopefully, there won't be a referendum, but if it is... *SIGH*

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
While is the 'northernmost Southern state' with the highest percentage of black residents of any state in the Union, I feel this is a narrative that may tear any political unity that existed there. I can see black progressives splitting from the black theologians and traditionalists.

Hopefully, there won't be a referendum, but if it is... *SIGH*

MD has the 4th most Blacks as a percentage of population
List of U.S. states by African-American population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I too hope there won't be a referendum. Maybe the times have changed since I was there but I do know there are some "fiercely conservative" areas (to put it mildly) in the western panhandle counties and the eastern shore rural counties.