Masculine Perception

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by goodwood, Feb 13, 2008.

1. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Okay Folks -
    So what do you all think about how men are perceived who are:
    A.) Married
    B.) Married then Divorced
    C.) Not married before 40

From my background (Upstate New York, very WASPY, conservative republican, et. al.) clearly being a man and married in 20s providing well for hot wife and beautiful children (thanks fam.!) is the standard.

Married 'on time' but divorced ahh - sad, too bad but kind of frowned upon, probably the woman's fault (just relating lifelong observations here).

Not married before 40 = something REALLY wrong with the guy = can't financially provide or dates whores, or wouldn't settle for a miserable marriage with genetically appropriate girl from similar background (and criticized for it since EVERYONE had to do it) or well, that's it.

So which of these is the most badly perceived idea of men who fall into one of the above categories?

2. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Depends on who's doing the perceiving, Goody. Why do you ask?

We also know that B and C sometimes goes along with the WASPY Republican parents turning you into a wreck of a human being, uncomfortable with intimacy and insecure in relationships. Riing a bell?

By the way, in some circles, "C" would be gay, definitely.

Does that cheer you up, Woodster?

HB8

3. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    A=married depends on why he got married.

B=divorced has a stigma attached to it. And if the guy says it was her fault I never believe him, probably because I'm a guy and tend to blame myself first for things. I'd bet divorced person would have another bad marriage if he/she got married again.

C=Not married before 40, I would have to know more info. I would want to know how he's spent the last 20 years. Dated a lot of women and haven't committed yet is different from a guy that hasn't dated much for whatever reason.

4. NEWREBA

NEWREBA New Member

Albums:
    i'm from cali so none of these situations apply.

5. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

My perception or judgement of someone's masculinity has nothing to do with their marital status. I mean, married or divorced, either way they are similar to half of all married couples, right? Never married past 40, eh. What matters is if they have had successful, long term relationships.

I would rather date someone who is 45 with a few 2-10 year LTRs, than a triple divorcee who has a pattern of finding the new wife before divorcing the previous and starting new families with each. There are worse things than never being married.

Lol, I agree!

6. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think it's unfair to judge a man based solely on his marital status during his lifetime. Marriage or the lack of one doesn't determine a man's character.

Draft saved Draft deleted