Masculine vs. Metrosexual

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by abvavrg, Nov 30, 2006.

1. abvavrg

abvavrg New Member

Food for thought: are the two terms "masculine" and "metrosexual" mutually exclusive? Can a man be metrosexual and still be masculine?

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

It probably depends on how you catergorize the word metrosexual. Some see it as a "gayification of a masculine man." Some people think that masculinity means haveing a shaved head, 3 atatoos, dirty work boots, goatee/van dyke/beard, a cold beer and cursing a lot.

At my last school I got called a metro all the time, which, to the women calling me that, meant that I shaved, pressed my clothes, and liked looking neat (in a professional atmosphere no less).

I just call it grooming and getting dressed.

3. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

You can care about how you look and how you dress without going completely over the top and still projecting some sort of machismo. I'm thinking.. Pierce Brosnan as James Bond (very kempt, well-dressed)... Brad Pitt in Fight Club (super cut, product in hair, etc)... metromacho? I don't think the two terms are necessarily mutually exclusive, unless you only associate masculinity with being a hairy unkempt slob, which some people do.

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Hah, that's easy. Offer him a pair of Prada shoes.

If he screams "Oh my god, PRADA!!!" and promptly busts a blood vessel in his eye, he's a nelly homosexual.

If he immediately puts them on and admires himself in the mirror for the next 20 minutes, he's metrosexual.

If he says "Why the fuck you givin me shoes? You some kinda fag?", he's a macho straight guy.

If he says, "Eww, a status label! No thanks!" he's probably me.

5. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, I'm living proof that you dont hafta be masculine or metrosexual, because I am neither.

So, I suppose if you can be neither, like me, you can be both masculine and metrosexual.

6. PacknThick

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ofourse u can be masculine and metrosexual. Or would it be versus Feminine and homosexual. But then what is metrosexual?....???
    Metrosexual just like LEX stated is neat, shaven, takes care of themselves. I was metro to some extent in college with my gear/dress wise. However I never trimmed my eyebrows or went tanning or had pedicures. SO maybe I am masculine metro. Or Just a guy who looks after himself when hes not pullin a sweat.

7. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love you! :kiss:

8. happyfeet

happyfeet New Member

Metro is about more than being neat.

It's about having 40 different kinds of hair products, 20 different colognes, getting a manicure and probably a pedicure on a regular basis. Constantly fixing your hair whenever a reflective surface is near. Having different bags for different coats and outfits.

If someone calls you a metrosexual just b/c you know how to look clean, that person needs to stop using the word.

9. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Main Entry: metrosexual Part of Speech: noun, adjective Definition: a heterosexual male who has a strong aesthetic sense and inordinate interest in appearance and style, similar to that of homosexual males

You're applying your own criteria to what constitutes "inordinate", above and beyond what I think is actually the average, or, "ordinate."

10. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

Probably the best classification you've given there, DC.

To give two examples, my FB no.1 at the moment is rather young, trims his pubes, and takes care of his looks in a way that I'd call metrosexual, or more care-taking machismo, and he still has a very masculine side about him. Most important of all, he doesn't bitch or perfectionize about his looks, though I don't know how many cream pots he has in his bathroom. But in mine, he doesn't take much time.

My other FB limits his care about his appearance to shaving, showering, and not wearing the same piece of underwear too often. It takes him about 15 minutes to get ready to roll when we go out. Still, he and my younger FB are about at the same level of masculinity, if you don't consider such outer signs as facial features, and the ruggedness that comes with age.

11. Gisella

Gold Member

:confused: Now I'm really confuse...I always thought that metrosexual was the new 'yuppies'..kind of profissional, urban city guys that was into trends of fashion:http://www.gqstyle.com/TheCollections/

I do find nice what I call the 'natural italian look' in males...is natural chic urban masculine to me. Men taking healthy care of thmselves is great..but I dont find chic or cool the fake tan, trimmed eyebrowns and shinning manicure in males...to me is like a new gangster style...looks cheap, sorry.

For males do not appear masculine to me they have to act feminine, as carrying themselves as feminine, have voice tone like females and wear fashion tendency over the top.

12. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Italian men have a long proud history of metrosexuality.

13. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I still think there's a qualitative difference, though. I was reading a men's magazine a while back and the columnist discussed how metrosexual fashion habits are starting to decline a bit. He surmised that metrosexuality is gaining a lot of, if not at certain times, critical attention. Look at David Beckham for instance. He's a good looking guy and he likes looking nice, but there's a certain manner in which he expresses interest and desires the attraction of other people.

I think a lot of the inordinate interest in fashion, style, clothing, art, and so on is necessarily situated around other people. One invokes a sense of style for the sake of pleasing and attracting others, of gaining attention and praise, and a willingness to be an object that other people like looking at. Case in point: Take a guy who just finished a round on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. The boys dressed him up and made him look nice, but if that fashion sense AND interest is still lingering, you might have witnessed the development of metrosexual tendency.

Someone at work jokes with me about being a metrosexual. To that, I'm a little puzzled. I have to wear the clothes from the store, and I appreciate being able to find stuff that fits my body, but I don't think I have the underlying interest. I still feel comfortable bumming around in a hoodie, going unshaven for a few days, and that's about the size of it...

The real challenge is understanding that not all fashion or art knowledge could be characterized as metrosexual, homosexual, or what have you. I have to have fashion knowledge to do my job, and I certainly like having some awareness. It keeps me dressed nice. But I wouldn't say that I have a lingering desire or interest in staying current with trends, or pampering my body, or collecting artifacts for the sake of impressing other people. Metrosexuality is a socially encompassing worldview that really depends on who's looking at you.

14. Gisella

Gold Member

:cool: If what Italians naturaly have for long long time is 'metrosexuality' in the purest form of charms, classy and oh my their masculinity and love grabbing of women..hmmm, for sure is perfect and cool! I've always love their ways anyways...

15. ch1819

ch1819 New Member

Albums:
    I'd often been accused of being metro, which I never really thought fit since, even though I paid a lot of attention to clothes and hair product, I always thought it would be cooler to drive an Abrahams tank than get a manicure.

Then I read the Nov issue of Details and found out I'm actually one of these:

1) THE Alt-YUPPIE
    He said money didn’t matter. He said he’d keep it real. But damn, is that MacBook Pro expensive! So are All Stars (if they’re Varvatos) and messenger bags (if they’re Jack Spade). He drinks PBR in public but saves the Puligny-Montrachet for his refurbished loft. His video iPod plays Kid A at a high volume. At his side, you’ll find a woman in cowboy boots. She will hail from a Connecticut suburb.

16. naughty

Gold Member

Now,

As if we dont have enough confusing labels, it seems the Bond men have their own particular category. It is called RETRO-SEXUAL...

17. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Damn...more labels...now let's see, what am I supposed to be again???

18. spartalee

spartalee New Member

I have mousse for my hair (its kinda long and gets frizzy and looks like shit) and I have 3 different deoderants and 6diff cologns (I hate smelling the same all the time to predictable more excitement when you odnt know whats next) and I always wear a nice polo shirt and jeans with an undershirt (mainly because I am a big dude and I sweat...gross I know...I shower 3times a day) does that make me metro? lol

19. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can't argue with this, no matter how hard I try.

20. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    labels are fake.

fashions are faker.

classifications are interesting in science if they have value.

What value do fake styles have?

Draft saved Draft deleted