Massive earthquake

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BigDallasDick8x6, Feb 27, 2010.

1. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow, 8.8! That's incredible. I know the scale goes up to 10, but I don't remember one this high before, although I'm sure there has been.

Tsunami warnings for the entire Pacific basin. NudeYorker -- your place is Hawaii, is it on the coast? Hopefully not the south or east side.

2. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

and so we pray - Loving God, hear us.

3. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Before I look it up, anyone know how the Richter Scale works? I always understood each increment to be an increase of 10X. In other words a 5 is 10X more powerful than a 4. And a 6 is 10X more powerful than a 5 but 100X more powerful than a 4. But on CNN just now they said 32X. Maybe the 10X is energy and the 32X is damage? I'm sure we have some geologist or geology major on here who would be happy to go on at think about this.

4. Flashy

Gold Member

couldn't the west coast of the US be affected by that or does a Tsunami run out of energy at a certain distance?

if it doesn't, the low lying coastal areas of North, Central and South America could certainly be affected.

of course i am just guesstimating...anyone more familiar with energy/distance for tsunamis?

5. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, south facing beaches on west coast of the US could be affected. Tsunami sirens are now sounding in Hawaii, according to CNN.

6. Flashy

Gold Member

oops, i thought the quake took place in the west pacific...

now i see it is off Chile :eek:

7. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    For west coast US, 2.3 feet at La Jolla going down to 1 foot in Oregon. But the west coast is on the edge of the "ripple." Bigger impact to land more west of Chile.

8. Flashy

Gold Member

indeed...that is what i thought, but looking at a map now, it looks as if the position of the Baja Peninsula would break up the movement to the North...

this is terrible...and coming on the heels of Haiti. :frown1:

9. Flashy

Gold Member

yes, that is what i figured...our geography has hopefully spared anything severe...i hope the people in Cabo San Lucas are okay if it goes more powerfully North towards the Baja Peninsula/Sea of Cortez.

10. Pauligan

Pauligan New Member

A woman who is with a seismologic institute this morning on the news said there's about one each year of this magnitude. The news also said that because Chile is in a fault line area they construct builidings more solidly than Haiti, they also indicated the quake was more powerful than the one which hit Haiti but because they build more solid buildings there won't probably be as much loss and destruction. Does anybody know what the latest is on deaths and injuries? I know they will need help, I hope this doesn't make people forget about Haiti which still has a long way to go to recover and rebuild. Man this is tragic.

11. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    It was also in a less populated area (easy for me to say since I don't live there) south of Santiago a good distance, vs. pretty much right in the capital as in the case of Haiti. They are now saying a 4 ft wave possible at Pismo (sp) Beach and 3 feet at Malibu. That's the high side of the estimate so let's hope it's not that much. It will hit Hawaii mid afternoon US East Coast time. They will have had 5 hours warning. Sirens went off at 6am Hawaii time.

12. Pauligan

Pauligan New Member

I hope the people in the tsunami areas all get to high ground and pay attention to the warning. I saw a documentary once about this kind of thing and how people in Hawaii saw the area by the shore suddenly go dry, all the water, pulled out and then didn't have time to get away before the big waves came crashing in and killing a lot of people. I hope the people remember to wait until they're given the all clear before returning to low lands.

13. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have family in Hawaii (The Big Island). They are indeed on higher ground. The stores have taken their trucks etc to higher ground as of early this morning. They are indeed taking it seriously and sound like they have warning enough. They are prepared for the hit in a few hours.

14. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah that happened to a lot of people with the Banda Aceh tsunami also. Poor people including children on their way to school ran out to pick up the beached fish and then the wave came in.

15. D_Polly_Bunion

D_Polly_Bunion Account Disabled

Ok. I live in Chile i have 27 y/o and never in my short life i felt sth like this before it was horrible... I live in the capital and everything is ok, we have the appropiate constructions for earthquake... The problems begins in the south of my country in talca and ConcepciĆ³n were the construction is mostly colonial(old) and near to the coast...
    Despite all the fact that i mentioned recently i think that the situation is not to bad, we know what to do and i hope that everything will be fine...

A big hug for all of you guys

( sorry for me english)

16. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Your English is fine. Glad you are too. The pics I'm seeing on CNN show overpasses (highway bridges if you're not familiar with that term) collapsed and cars on their roofs. Is that not Santiago but Concepcion? I'm not sitting in front of the TV but have it on in another room and passing by every once in a while.

17. ital8

ital8 New Member

Geez!! The news just reported a 6.0 earthquake in Argentina.

18. badgirl22

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My friends are vacationing in Hawaii and she called and said everyone seems to be very organized and no one is in panic mode. They gave everyone the evacuation plan. She didn't seem too concerned - they had plenty of notice to gather their belongings and get to higher ground. The problem is they just had no idea exactly what type of waves they'd be looking at but she said unless people just blatently ignored the warnings at least the humans will be safe.

19. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Looks like everyone dodged that bullet re the tsunami. Whew!

This quake was one of the 10 strongest in history.

20. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    I believe this is the fifth biggest on record so far.

The same fault line in Chile has, in the past, produced a massive 9.5, the biggest ever recorded quake.

The resulting tsunamis have reached NZ but there was no damage caused, just lots of silly Kiwis going to the beaches to watch.

My thoughts are with the people of Chile. The biggest I've been in so far is about a 5 and it terrified me. As it goes up in factors of ten, an 8.8 is nearly 40 more powerful than a 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted