7th Indonesia 2005 8.6
8th Tibet 1950 8.6
Joint 8th Alaska 1957 8.6

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I believe this is the fifth biggest on record so far.

The same fault line in Chile has, in the past, produced a massive 9.5, the biggest ever recorded quake.

The resulting tsunamis have reached NZ but there was no damage caused, just lots of silly Kiwis going to the beaches to watch.

My thoughts are with the people of Chile. The biggest I've been in so far is about a 5 and it terrified me. As it goes up in factors of ten, an 8.8 is nearly 40 more powerful than a 5.

I've always heard powers of 10 also. But CNN and BBC are saying 32X. Is it 10X the energy but 32X the damage?? That's the only thing I can surmise. Surely someone here knows the answer. Please don't force me to do research! :rolleyes:

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ok, found it. The 10X is the shaking amplitude. The energy released is 32X.

From the Wikipedia article on the Richter Scale:

The Richter magnitude scale, also known as the local magnitude (ML) scale, assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released by an earthquake. It is a base-10 logarithmic scale obtained by calculating the logarithm of the combined horizontal amplitude of the largest displacement from zero on a Wood–Anderson torsion seismometer output. So, for example, an earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0. The effective limit of measurement for local magnitude ML is about 6.8.
Though still widely used, the Richter scale has been superseded by the moment magnitude scale, which gives generally similar values.
The energy release of an earthquake, which closely correlates to its destructive power, scales with the 3⁄2 power of the shaking amplitude. Thus, a difference in magnitude of 1.0 is equivalent to a factor of 31.6 ( = (101.0)(3 / 2)) in the energy released; a difference in magnitude of 2.0 is equivalent to a factor of 1000 ( = (102.0)(3 / 2) ) in the energy released.[1]

Pauligan

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
the death toll keeps rising. I saw reports where the roads and bridges out of the city of Santiago and in Concepcion got really demolished, and, there was a picture of a boat up on a house, it must not be as good a construction and safety standard away from the main cities. I know Sec.of State Clinton is supposed to be going there. Really sad and tragic what happened there.

Media
A 6.0 is ten times more powerful than a 5.0 and a 7.0 ten times more than a 6.0

As to how destructive that makes them...

Princepessa and I had an interesting talk about earthquakes on Yahoo recently. (She was banned from here but not from MY Yahoo!) LOL :tongue:

We were viewing the USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) web site. Note all of the recent activity along the South America's coast line. (Alaska too for that matter)

This morning while reading emails I came across this article on Yahoo about
the earthquake in Chile. The resulting effects from the quake, may have shortened days on earth.

"The computer model used by Gross and his colleagues to determine the effects of the Chile earthquake effect also found that it should have moved Earth's figure axis by about 3 inches (8 cm or 27 milliarcseconds). "

The article goes on to say how telescopes were damaged, as was The Aquarius instrument, a satellite being set up in Argentina to monitor the ocean's salt concentrations.

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wow, 8.8! That's incredible. I know the scale goes up to 10, but I don't remember one this high before, although I'm sure there has been.

Tsunami warnings for the entire Pacific basin. NudeYorker -- your place is Hawaii, is it on the coast? Hopefully not the south or east side.

I just saw this thread. Thank you for your concern. My house is in Oahu and high up on a ridge. It was really tense several hours for a few people that I know who had to evacuate. Very thankful we dodged the bullet.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
What pissed me off was on sunday, all BBC showed was people looting. ALL DAY. nothing else. Can you blame people if they are desperate? I did see a clip and a guy was chucking out crates of beer, not exactly neccesairy, but i dont get why BBC felt the need to focus on a human negative rather than the loss of life etc?

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow, 8.8! That's incredible. I know the scale goes up to 10, but I don't remember one this high before, although I'm sure there has been.

Tsunami warnings for the entire Pacific basin. NudeYorker -- your place is Hawaii, is it on the coast? Hopefully not the south or east side.

Believe me, it wasn't pretty. Looking at newspapers on the Internet, I was disgusted at how they lied. True, Santiago was relatively unscathed and Concepcion had a small amount of damage considering the magnitude of the quake; however, parts of roads, bridges and homes in many places were destroyed. The top news purveyors, made little mention of the emotional toll which not so much the main quake gave; but, the numerous after-shocks. As of Tuesday morning, there were still waves being felt, less than the initial jolts; they still cause the tensing of every muscle in the body, with edgy fear that what remains will come crashing down- another truck or car will disappear into a new hole in the ground, another home will collapse.

Many small villages which aren't part of the main tour route, have been devastated. The residents had little in the way of possessions to begin with and now are without even that. The small villages, are not built by the same standard as the hi-rises and luxury buildings of the larger cities.

It's too bad the media hasn't put more effort into showing the areas which were hit hard. Instead they show a handful of images with buildings leaning in perilous manner, as a way of showing how little was damaged and how even with damage, these buildings have a construction which will keep them from toppling over completely. They show looting- excuse me, the people need food and are scared, they aren't, (at least the majority aren't) physically injuring others. They go in, grab flour, rice, nutritional necessities, they aren't all running through town taking electronics or clothing. They need food, the storekeepers aren't there, the food is. These aren't common thieves, these are people who want to stay alive, seeking a way to survive; to give their children, their sick and their elderly family members a basic meal to ensure they live another day.

Chile will recover, the people have it in them to rebound and rebuild.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What pissed me off was on sunday, all BBC showed was people looting. ALL DAY. nothing else. Can you blame people if they are desperate? I did see a clip and a guy was chucking out crates of beer, not exactly neccesairy, but i dont get why BBC felt the need to focus on a human negative rather than the loss of life etc?

News is news. They show what happens and looting was happening.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone hear about the quake in Missouri a couple days ago? Ya...Missouri...