Masters in Psychology

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I am interested in going back to school to get a Masters to become a
Counselor in Psychology. Is there anyone here that might have some sage advise about where to begin.The field is so broad. I don't even know what to ask...Thank you in advance

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think the first step is to determine what you want to study and seek some advice from those in programs in your area or those working in the field.
Visit the universities in your area and start networking. Keep us apprised and best of luck with your new adventure.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A masters degree in psychology is not considered to be a terminal degree. A Ph.D. is. and Ph.D. programs in psychology are incredibly difficult to get into. There are Psy.D. programs that teach the treatment and testing part and not the reserach methods. Typically, in these programs you do not have to do a dissertation. Some psychology departments offer marriage and family therapy master's programs and this is a useful degree that has licensure in most states.
A master's degree that you might want to look into is a Master's in Social Work. Social workers do more than 50% of the counseling and psychotherapy done in the U.S. It's also a highly versatile degree that can get you into many areas of practice.

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
WHY????????????

Sounds like you don't think this is a smart idea. You'll have to explain.
Of course I do have my own self-interest as I work on my own issues
while I help others. This is certainly not the road to great riches...more
of a road to self acceptance...riches will have to wait.

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
...Is there anyone here that might have some sage advise about where to begin...

OK, so you asked the question.

A masters degree in psychology is not considered to be a terminal degree. A Ph.D. is. and Ph.D. programs in psychology are incredibly difficult to get into. There are Psy.D. programs that teach the treatment and testing part and not the reserach methods. Typically, in these programs you do not have to do a dissertation. Some psychology departments offer marriage and family therapy master's programs and this is a useful degree that has licensure in most states.
A master's degree that you might want to look into is a Master's in Social Work. Social workers do more than 50% of the counseling and psychotherapy done in the U.S. It's also a highly versatile degree that can get you into many areas of practice.

and you ignored this ^

WHY????????????

but you replied to this? ^

...Of course I do have my own issues...

clearly!

:confused:

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I did not ignore Dave, I replied off line.
But I can see how you might have thought
I did ignore his post. Might you have some
Constructive advise for this thread?

Last edited: