MasTURbate vs. MasTERbate...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by absinthium, Sep 10, 2005.

1. absinthium

absinthium New Member

Albums:
    Masturbate - From the Latin, masturbārī, meaning "to jack one's meat".

Masterbate - DOESN'T FUCKING MEAN ANYTHING...

C'mon people, Let's get it together. If you have enough finger dexterity to play with yourself and use a keyboard, (especially at the same time,) I'd think it's fair to expect you have enough mental capacity to spell this commonly used word correctly. There are enough idiotic misspellings on the interweb... PLEASE stop adding to them.

2. TallHungLB

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thank you absinthium. Spelling and grammar online are my two largest pet peeves.

But I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle. Let it go, just let it go... :pals:

3. cityboy

cityboy Member

It is a losing battle but it doesn't hurt to try. We all do it and talk about it here, so here we should at least be able to masturbate instead of masterbate.

4. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh man you guys...I work with English teachers that correct people in conversation. I always wonder...would I really want this ability if it means having their poor manners? Naw. You guys crack me up. Going to go mausturbate now. Cheers

5. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

It is a losing battle. At the beginning of the school year, there's a list of misspelled words on the blackboard and I inform the students that I will not tolerate those spellings. The first three are my personal pet peeves: definately, prolly and buldge. The sad thing is that over half the class doesn't realise that the words are misspelled! :shrug: Luckily, by the second semester most of them have improved their spelling dramatically. Then comes the real headache: punctuation. :wow: Eats Shoots & Leaves is required reading in my senior English classes.

By the way: I'm a master baiter!

6. mindseye

Gold Member

Yeah, I find that one disterbing, too. ;)

7. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

Ocfruose slpelnig deonst ralely mtater acocrndig to smoe eghgaeds at Cmabirdge bceasue yuor barin can wrok it out as lnog as msot of the ltetres are tehre and the frist and lsat ltteres are in palce.
    ;)

I tihnk yuor jsut bieng pdenanitc!

As lnog as it is udnresanlbe, deos it ralely mtaetr?

8. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

How many times do your students use the word "bulge?" I can remember ever having written this word in any class... Or, are you counting LPSG as an extension of your class? (Lord knows, the word shows up here enough!)

9. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Thank you for having the balls to bring this to membership attention, abasinthium!
    It grinds me the wrong way, too, because as you so forcefully point out, finger desterity on our organs should be accompanied by correct direction.

BTW, I hope you don't object to my reference to having balls!

Luke

10. txquis

Gold Member

Hee.
    Agreed.
    As often as we type/write via the internet,
    we are actually less accurate and more clumsy with spelling and grammar.
    "What does it matter?" is a cop-out/defense
    from those who are ignorant
    these rules/guidelines to begin with.

11. absinthium

absinthium New Member

Albums:

Oh, GOD, DMW... "Definately" makes me cry. "Definetly"is equally disturbing. I also hate adjectives and nouns used in lieu of adverbs, such as "She was real tired." GROAN.
    I will admit, however, that once it comes down to intense syntax, I tend to get lost, although it fascinates me. It's something I wish I could have grasped a little better in AP English, but it started to feel like algebra after a while.

On that note, do me a favor, would you, and tell your students to never, EVER, use the word "irregardless," no matter how smart they think it will make them sound? I plan on making bumper stickers and tshirts on which "irregardless" is circled and crossed out. This is my personal campaign. The word gave me a brain cramp the first time I ever heard an English major friend of mine use it, and has done so ever since.

12. absinthium

absinthium New Member

Albums:
    Yes, it mtatres to me, bceuase I am an utpghit decouhabg wehn it cmeos to seplilng.

I'm also sick of people bringing up that study. Of course your brain will sort it out... You can spell things as ass-backwards as you like, and it will probably still be comprehensible. That's not the point...

As Chris Rock points out, "You can drive your car with your feet if you have to, but that doesn't make it a good fucking idea."

13. absinthium

absinthium New Member

Albums:

Um, my balls are ten miles wide and I'm totally comfortable with it.

Thanks for noticing.

14. absinthium

absinthium New Member

Albums:
    Have I told you lately that I love you?
    I think as far as apostrophes go, I'm most annoyed with "its" and "it's."

It's = contraction, "it" + "is," as in, "Hoodang in the hemhaw! It's raining rootbeer and nosejobs out there, Martha!"
    whereas
    Its = possession, as in, "Awww, look at its cute little abcess!"

I know we're all guilty of careless mistakes from time to time... I think it's only important that you know the difference, and when you do fuck something up, you go home and promptly shoot yourself afterwards.

15. Geekyraccoon

Geekyraccoon New Member

I think my biggest spelling pet peeve is probably 'net' abbreviations. U for you, R for are and the like. Maybe it's my own being able to type fast that leaves me callous to the needs of the slow typers... but it's just two letters. It can't add that much, can it?!?

-Me

yay! I'm really not a lurker!

16. absinthium

absinthium New Member

Albums:
    Glad to have you aboard, soldier. Most internet abbreviations irritate me for the plain and simple fact that they're too cutesy for me.

All this "lol," "rofl," and "asl" type bullshit is for the birds. I've bee known to throw out a "brb" if i'm seriously in a hurry, and don't want to leave someone hanging during an instant messenger conversation, but that's about where I draw the line.

I also find excessive usage of smileys to be tiresome and dorky, but that's just me. ;)

OH&#33; And don&#39;t even get me started on --<--@ THESE fucking things&#33;

17. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Have you noticed that the use of "I", when "me" is correct, has become used so often, along with "I" being used in first position other than being last of several others? The influence of tv and music lyrics on our accepted language is staggering.

Errr, don&#39;t forget "lay" for "lie". So many don&#39;t know how to lie down -- always lay down&#33; Uggh, nasty&#33;

18. taven

taven Member

Most of the things you have listed are major points that bother me both as an English teacher (retired) and as a reader. The current lack of proofreading as seen in most books drives me nuts. Outside of the classroom, however, I always remember what the Dragon Lady of Grammar maintained in my undergraduate grammar for English teachers class. She said that being an English teacher did have responsibilties in the classroom, but elsewhere we didn&#39;t have a right to correct people in our social lives over grammar. Sometimes I have had to bite my tongue, for example when a relative speaks of having to bath the baby. I&#39;m well aware that there are things about me that grate on others who usually cut me some slack also. Having said all that, I love reading about people&#39;s pet peeves concerning language. It makes me feel better knowing others notice and feel the same about something I consider to be important.

19. cityboy

cityboy Member

This bord definatly needes a spel chekr.

Using "was" with a conditional is one thing that bugs me: "If I was" instead of "If I were".
    You&#39;re vs your is another, thank you.
    I promise I will never say "irregardless" again.
    Also, it is "used to" and "supposed to".
    Then there&#39;s "there", "their" and "they&#39;re".

I have heard advertisments on the radio for a program on CD&#39;s called "Verbal Advantage". It is supposed to teach grammar and vocabulary but is fairly expensive. Does anyone know if it is worth money? I would like know more.

20. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

Yes, it mtatres to me, bceuase I am an utpghit decouhabg wehn it cmeos to seplilng.

I&#39;m also sick of people bringing up that study. Of course your brain will sort it out... You can spell things as ass-backwards as you like, and it will probably still be comprehensible. That&#39;s not the point...

As Chris Rock points out, "You can drive your car with your feet if you have to, but that doesn&#39;t make it a good fucking idea."
    [post=342061]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

I&#39;m so sick of people getting uptight about spelling. I personally dont give a fuck as long as it is atleast nearly right. :p

Language is there for the exchange of information, as long as you can understand the person, why do they need to be 100% accurate?

Basically, what I&#39;m saying is this: I&#39;m more interested in what the person is saying, not in how they say it.

That probably comes with a lifetime of stuttering, where people will be extremely anal when argueing with me, and just point out what I mis-pronounced instead of answering my points. :spank: Which, incidentally, annoys me to the point of nearly punching people in the face.

And the difference between your really silly example and poor spelling and grammar is that you won&#39;t crash and die by miss-spelling Masturbate. :eyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted