"I don't gamble because I'm afraid I'll loose too much money."
"Lose lips sink ships."

:argh:

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Since a PIN can include alpha characters, it is in and of itself a misnomer.

I learned all the grammatical rules of English, too, and am ready to put my education credentials up against anyone's here. But I have long believed that one of the beauties of this language is its constantly evolving nature. (I learned, for example, that one should not start a sentence with "but" -- I did it here anyway because it's clear and because I WANTED TO!)

The Internet and popular culture are taking the English language to a new place. You might not like it, but there it is. I would hate to feel my expression in my mother tongue is so trapped by a bunch of rules some uptight prissy English teacher imposes on the rest of the world. As long as you can understand what people write here, leave it alone. Many people here are not native English-speakers so we really don't need to be railing on them to type out perfect sentences. Not very welcoming, folks.

Once again, I am at a loss to understand how it is that some of the veteran posters on this SUPPORT group board can threadjack a topic to make people feel uncomfortable about posting.

'sheeeeeesh. Lighten up, people. Dee's right -- move on to something more important.

Donk

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by Hung Muscle+Sep 10 2005, 04:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hung Muscle &#064; Sep 10 2005, 04:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DoubleMeatWhopper@Sep 10 2005, 10:21 AM
It is a losing battle. At the beginning of the school year, there&#39;s a list of misspelled words on the blackboard and I inform the students that I will not tolerate those spellings. The first three are my personal pet peeves: definately, prolly and buldge. The sad thing is that over half the class doesn&#39;t realise that the words are misspelled&#33; :shrug:  Luckily, by the second semester most of them have improved their spelling dramatically. Then comes the real headache: punctuation.  :wow: Eats Shoots & Leaves is required reading in my senior English classes.

By the way: I&#39;m a master baiter&#33;
[post=342038]Quoted post[/post]​

How many times do your students use the word "bulge?" I can remember ever having written this word in any class... Or, are you counting LPSG as an extension of your class? (Lord knows, the word shows up here enough&#33;)
[post=342052]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Maybe it&#39;s just pure coincidence that students in DMW&#39;s class make frequent use of the word "bulge." ;-)

As long as we&#39;re on this pedantic topic, this reminds me of my big spelling pet peeve, which I see frequently on this site: "hugh" for "huge." I really cannot understand why anyone makes this error. "Huge" is a very common, very short word, and "hugh" does not even look like it would be pronounced like "huge."

Let&#39;s get this straight once and for all, boys and girls. "Hugh" is pronounced like "hyoo" and is a man&#39;s name; "huge" means "quite big." Let&#39;s see an example in a sentence:

"I bet Hugh Jackman has a huge jack, man."

BrynB

Experimental Member
Media
I&#39;ll just throw in how I remember the spellings for a couple of words.

Necessary - One cup and two saucers.

Pens are stationery,
Cars are stationary.

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by absinthium@Sep 11 2005, 12:15 PM
If I said, "Wow, I sure hate it when someone spits gum on the sidewalk and I step in it," I&#39;m sure there are folks on here that would come to the defense of those that choose to spit gum on the sidewalk, bringing their political and societal views into it, just for the sake of being able to argue with strangers.
[post=342291]Quoted post[/post]​
Hey, hey, hey&#33; ;) I&#39;m not trying to cause a stir here either. Honest. If I came off as being a malcontent, I apologize for my wording. I&#39;m not itching to pick a fight or argue, and I&#39;m certainly not trying to defend lazy language usage. After all, I&#39;m one of those prissy English teachers Hung Muscle mentioned, and my list of peeves is long and fraught with emotion.

*sniff*

That&#39;s why I enjoy the grammar gab. I do think, though, that there are appropriate times and places for it, and this topic is probably one of them. It doesn&#39;t bother me at all (as I mentioned). Better by far we talk about it in the abstract this way rather than leap on a specific instance in an effort to humiliate a particular poster (as has been known to happen from time to time, even among the best of us, and it&#39;s been something into which I&#39;ve stuck my nose almost since my first day here; one of my "causes").

Forgive me for being a divergent voice, but I assure you that it&#39;s based on my life and my work and my struggle to get my students writing.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Hung Muscle@Sep 11 2005, 12:31 PM
I would hate to feel my expression in my mother tongue is so trapped by a bunch of rules some uptight prissy English teacher imposes on the rest of the world.

"Prissy English teachers&#39; do not establish the rules, but it is our job to teach those rules. Like so many things in life, language has standards. We don&#39;t want to put up with shoddy workmanship in appliances or furniture; why should I be content when someone displays shoddy wordsmanship? There have been posts on this board by native English speakers that displayed such substandard spelling, grammar and punctuation that they were unintelligible, yet presumably these people had at least language skills enough to graduate high school. I have no objection to the evolution of language, but the erosion of language is a different matter.

Dee&#39;s right -- move on to something more important.

These posts are in a thread where they are germane: this is the sorth of thing rhat absinthium started this thread for, or at least she helped guide it in that direction. We have opinions on the matter, and we are free to express those opinions. Dee will see this as a flame against him, no doubt, but I will point out that Dee has certainly done his share of slamming members for their spelling and grammar. I am not suggesting that he is alone: I have done it as well, as have others who respect language enough to care about its effective use. Like any tool, if English is used poorly it can fail to produce the intended result. I am not a native speaker of English; I didn&#39;t begin really speaking it until I was fourteen years old, but I learned it rather well. Why is it that people who have been speaking it their whole lives can fuck it up so unabashedly and not even realise it ... or care?

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Sep 11 2005, 05:41 PM
That&#39;s why we&#39;re twins:  :evilgrin: and  O8) &#33;
[post=342374]Quoted post[/post]​
Indeed, bro. Which are you this month? I&#39;ve lost track again. :shrug:

I have noticed a distinct lessening of the frequency of "you misspelled too many words, stupid" posts lately, haven&#39;t you? Must be that summer vacation has reduced stress levels among the predatory pedagogues. ;)

It should be interesting to watch things change as we stretch into the semester.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by steve319+Sep 11 2005, 05:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve319 &#064; Sep 11 2005, 05:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DoubleMeatWhopper@Sep 11 2005, 05:41 PM
That&#39;s why we&#39;re twins:  :evilgrin: and  O8) &#33;
[/b][/quote]

Ask my students: they&#39;ll confirm that I&#39;m currently in the :evilgrin: mode&#33;

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Sep 11 2005, 10:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Sep 11 2005, 10:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by steve319@Sep 11 2005, 05:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DoubleMeatWhopper
@Sep 11 2005, 05:41 PM
That&#39;s why we&#39;re twins: :evilgrin: and O8) &#33;

Ask my students: they&#39;ll confirm that I&#39;m currently in the :evilgrin: mode&#33;
[post=342395]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

That&#39;s the way we like you best&#33;

@HungMuscle, it can hardly be called thread-jacking when it is the subject topic of the thread. It&#39;s an open conversation, not a flame war, what&#39;s wrong with that?

I also don&#39;t mind language evolution, but misspellings are not dialects, they are just wrong spellings. If there are actually people who are unaware of some of these, it may actually be beneficial to point them out in a separate thread like this so they can be noted. I don&#39;t flame anyone for their posts, except my friends who I know will take it well. Or trolls.

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Axex@Sep 11 2005, 05:39 PM
PRINCIPLE: A MORAL OR IDEA
PRINCIPAL: umm like "The principal of the school decided to give blow jobs to the male faculty."
[post=342313]Quoted post[/post]​

Now don&#39;t go pointing the finger at me, Axex, and besides, it wasn&#39;t the total male faculty, only the new driver education instructor&#33;

Luke

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by RoysToy+Sep 12 2005, 01:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RoysToy &#064; Sep 12 2005, 01:59 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Axex@Sep 11 2005, 05:39 PM
PRINCIPAL: umm like "The principal of the school decided to give blow jobs to the male faculty."

Now don&#39;t go pointing the finger at me, Axex, and besides, it wasn&#39;t the total male faculty, only the new driver education instructor&#33;

Luke
[post=342437]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

:rofl: Thanks Luke, you made my day&#33;

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There - Over there
Their - I went to their house
They&#39;re - I like LPSG people, They are the best&#33;

Too - These things drive me nuts, too
Two - I&#39;ll take two sugars in my coffee
To - From me to you

I learned these in elementary school and remember them to this day.
I am guilty of misspellings, as I can&#39;t type as fast as I think and I&#39;m a hunt and peck typist. Also, lpsg doesn&#39;t have a spell checker, and I&#39;m not about to compose every post in an email or word processing program to make sure. (Although I did run this through one just to be safe&#33;)

My pet peeve is people who send you email or Word documents with misspellings&#33; These programs have spell checkers, use them&#33;

I use these guys :hi: to make sure my meaning is understood, or just for fun. Sometimes the written word can be interpreted more than one way, and I don&#39;t want to express the &#39;wrong&#39; meaning.

LapDog :p

taven

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have to laugh; in over 40 years of teaching I&#39;ve been called a lot of things, but prissy is not one of them. (Demanding, hard, unorthodox, monster, ass hole to name a few.) One thing I maintained through it all is that something wrong is just unacceptable. Mistakes happen and we can learn from them, but accepting wrong with no attempt to improve is demeaning.

By the way, I love this topic&#33;

dcjohnny

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Axex@Sep 11 2005, 01:39 PM
I hate to bring this one up, but I become nauseous when I see "to" used in lieu of "too". That&#39;s one of the basic grammar principles (i think)...which brings me to my next grammar don&#39;t.

Dear handsome Axex &#8212; I don&#8217;t think you become &#8220;nauseous&#8221; under those circumstances, because &#8220;nauseous&#8221; means you make other people sick. The word you want is &#8220;nauseated.&#8221; It&#8217; a vocabulary gaffe that occurs frequently. Not to worry, though. I&#8217;ve enjoyed reading your posts &#8220;irregardless&#33;&#8221; :hi:

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Originally posted by dcjohnny@Sep 12 2005, 07:57 PM
Dear handsome Axex &#8212; I don&#8217;t think you become &#8220;nauseous&#8221; under those circumstances, because &#8220;nauseous&#8221; means you make other people sick. The word you want is &#8220;nauseated.&#8221; It&#8217; a vocabulary gaffe that occurs frequently. Not to worry, though. I&#8217;ve enjoyed reading your posts &#8220;irregardless&#33;&#8221; :hi:
[post=342668]Quoted post[/post]​

I learned the difference in the hospital many years ago. About 3am I buzzed the nurse and reported that I was nauseous. She said not in her opinion and to go back to sleep.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Absinthium,

Ever since I was old enough to bate, I&#39;ve masterbated. Somehow, it never felt quite right; I knew I was different from the other little boys, but there was no-one to talk to.

Then I read your post, and tried masturbation. Wow&#33; That&#39;s what I&#39;ve been missing all my life&#33; The difference is like chalk and cheese. (Well, it&#39;s more like cheese, actually...)

We need more open and honest discussion of erotic grammar. In Catholic School, my head was filled with nothing but lays, lays, lays&#33; It pains me to think how many years I wasted, thanks to poor sexual spelling, sucking cake.

Yours stickily (is that a word?),

hb8