McCain: "Disaster for GOP"

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
More bad news for McCain, again from an influential conservative republican who says McCain is ruining the party's chances for rebound:

"There are many ways to lose a presidential election. John McCain is losing in a way that threatens to take the entire Republican Party down with him.
"I could pile up the poll numbers here, but frankly . . . it's too depressing. You have to go back to the Watergate era to see numbers quite so horrible for the GOP. McCain's awful campaign is having awful consequences down the ballot.
"The themes and messages that are galvanizing the crowds for Palin are bleeding Sens. John Sununu in New Hampshire, Gordon Smith in Oregon, Norm Coleman in Minnesota and Susan Collins in Maine. The Palin approach might have been expected to work better in more traditionally conservative states such as Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia, but they have not worked well enough to compensate for the weak Republican economic message at a moment of global financial crisis. Result: the certain loss of John Warner's Senate seat in Virginia, the probable loss of Elizabeth Dole's in North Carolina, an unexpectedly tough fight for Saxby Chambliss's in Georgia -- and an apparent GOP surrender in Colorado, where it looks as if the National Republican Senatorial Committee has already pulled its ads from the air."

This is from an op-ed piece today called "Not Even Close: Sorry, Senator, Let's Salvage What We Can" by a former speech-writer for G.W. Bush, David Frum. Frum is now a spokesman for the conservative American Enterprise Institute, saying aloud what many republicans are saying in private.

What amazes me is the disloyalty this shows in McCain & Palin toward their own party. Is that what "maverick" means? You care only about yourself, and don't worry about the damage you do to others? How in the world can they not be concerned about costing other members of the GOP their jobs & seats in congress??

What is going on with McCain???

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sounds like more spin to me. Perhaps the right wing noise machine is just preparing to scapegoat John McCain for a decline the entire GOP is actually responsible for.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Far be it for me to defend Republicans, but David Frum is an attention-seeker. This is the guy who showed up on Rachel Maddow's show two weeks ago, looking like he swallowed a suppository, and whined that Rachel Maddow's sense of humor was just as bad as McCain's invocation of William Ayers:

FRUM: I think, we are seeing an intensification of some of the ugliness of tone that has been a feature in American politics in the last eight years. And this show, unfortunately, is itself an example of that problem, its heavy sarcasm and smearing. . .

MADDOW: Do you think that my tone on this show is equivalent to people calling Barack Obama somebody who pals around with terrorists, people yelling from the audience at McCain-Palin rallies, "Bomb Obama. Kill him. Off with his head. Traitor." Are you accusing me of an equivalence in tone?

FRUM: I don't think that's an important question.

(link to video)

Frum is shameless in his quest for attention, even negative attention, and pissing all over his Republican readers is just part of his playbook, and a huge hypocritcal reveal for someone who just two weeks earlier was complaining about "negativity".