McCain - Palin -- Pure Political Move

D

deleted15807

How do you know that this 'stuff' isn't over exaggerated to get your money or play on your emotions??? :rolleyes:

Because it's easy enough to get the same data from different sources. When they show you video of huge ice breaking up in Antarctica you can believe it. I'm a scuba diver and I've seen over the years the bleaching of the coral reefs, the lack of the huge schools of fish I've seen. All you need to do is read a reputable daily newspaper to see it. But you must read it and not count on 'corporate media' to tell you. A good magazine like 'Scientific American' also. Corporate media is more interested in the latest Brittany hi-jinks or BigFoot sightings, those stories are more fun and will make people watch which translates to more advertisements which translates to more money which translates to more profit. And profit not journalism is their goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
I'm starting to like Palin more and more. I'm not too crazy about the fact that she belongs to the NRA, though. I'm not a big fan of guns. But I think she is smart, witty and can definitely hold her own. I think Obama's campaign is underestimating her, which they shouldn't if they want to win. She seems to take action as opposed to just talking about what could be done. I'm looking forward to the debates.

D

deleted213967

How do you know that this 'stuff' isn't over exaggerated to get your money or play on your emotions??? :rolleyes:

Extremely few scientists, let alone respected scientists (who are peer-reviewed and publish their work in scientific journals) dispute the overwhelming evidence of global fever.

If there is any disagreement or uncertainty, it is around how much we can do about global fever and how much time we have until the damage is irreversible.

Global climate change has been manifesting itself in eminently measurable ways the world over, using a wide array of tools and scientific disciplines.

Even McCain is not dismissing the risks the global climate crisis poses to humanity.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Consider this rant and feel free to point out where I'm dum and stoopid [sic].

I'm always amused at folks who use the "But he'll raise taxes!" excuse for bashing a political candidate. I'm certain Obama will raise taxes, but McCain has no other option as well. He can say he won't. He can dance a Hopi "No new taxes" dance, pray to the moon god and yell that the Democrats are and always will be the "tax and spend" party. But no one can stop the bleeding of the American economy without raising taxes and stopping the "borrow and spend" habits of the Bush Administration. Neither candidate, especially McCain, has come to grips with the fact that the United States Government continues to borrow (in the form of treasury bonds and certificates) money primarily from China to spend on an unpopular war and buy oil from Canada, the Arab Emirates, and any other country willing to hold the USA hostage for a $140 barrel of oil, thus throwing any potential for economic prosperity away just as if Curious George and Darth Cheney were heating the White House by burning logs made of $1,000,000 bills.

Yes, there is ample evidence that global warming is more than just a Power Point Presentation cobbled together by Al Gore. Ignore it at your peril. But I've yet to hear anyone address the more immediate issue that the US economy is on the verge of collapse. I have businesses in Europe, South America, and the Great Silver State of Nevada (pronounced Nebada, if you have a bad cold). When I return to the USA in late October to vote early and often in person, I will also be turning off the lights and dissolving my 'Mericuhn business. For those of you who are not small business owners (under 5 million bucks a year?), you are probably unaware of how difficult it is to turn coin in the USA with a business entity that offers real, valuable and needed services (as opposed to the services offered by, say . . . E Entertainment News). And if you are at the mercy of working for a small business, you most likely have noticed that down-sizing is the mantra of the moment.

I hate to do it, but I'm selling short and pulling up stakes. This is especially hard for me because my employees in Nevada are excellent workers, above average in intelligence and business skills, and they have become very good friends. They asked and I agreed to entertain selling them the business. However, after they ran the numbers they realized that it would not be possible for them to save the company. They were also amazed that I hadn't shut down operations two years ago. The US economy is just not in a position to support it at this time or any time within the foreseeable future. However, my other two offices, one in Spain and the other in Argentina, are thriving and they provide the same services as my Nevada office. I find this especially remarkable primarily because in Argentina I have to turn a profit in Argentine Pesos (3.10 Pesos to one U$SDollar in an economy that is suffering 12% (or higher, depending who you listen to) inflation. Back in the days that 1 Argentine Peso equaled 1 US dollar, it was still difficult to manage a financially successful business. When the Argentine economy collapsed big time in 2001, it wiped out the country's entire middle class. Sadly, that's what I foresee happening in the USA regardless whether Obama or McCain becomes President. I'm also very confident that Palin's fabulous resume as a "successful" small business owner will not be of any value.

Although I live as an expat, I still am a member of my Nevada community's Chamber of Commerce (Elko, Nevada) and since January 1st, 2008, twenty-five (and still counting) small businesses have closed. There's lots of empty office space these days. And Elko County is one of the few places in the USA the continuing home mortgage crisis has not made a dent. In fact, housing is on the rise in that corner of the wild and woolly west. However, the entire economy in that area is reliant upon the mining industry. And for those of you who need to buy a clue, the mining companies digging out all of the natural resources in Nevada are foreign-owned. Dutch, Spanish, Australian, and Canadian interests own the majority of mining claims doled out by the US Department of the Interior while all of you weren't looking. Yet, somehow this does not seem to bother those of you fretting over the imagined threat of an African American possibly becoming president or some old fart with a MILF as a running mate supposedly coming to your emotional rescue.

Doesn't matter, folks. The country is going down. That is, unless you'll get off your high horses and learn to accept the responsibility that WE ALL WILL HAVE TO BEGIN PAYING HIGHER TAXES to begin stabilizing the economy in order to even minimally rectify 22 out of the last 30 years of bad government. Remember my neo-con friends, you can only blame Clinton for 8 years of bad management. Reagan and the Bush Boyze bear more years of responsibility for the current economic situation than a man who was impeached for lying about getting a hummer in the Oval Office.

But I'm certain very few of you are or will pay attention to the real issues of keeping the USA solvent, economically sound, and therefore more secure from the desperate yahoos around the world who hate us and are Hell bent on blowing us up. No, the evangelical neo cons hold the Republicans hostage because, certainly, the most important thing is that God be present at all levels of Government. It's much more important that the next President have a burning testimony of Christ than the skills and knowledge to be an effective leader of the country. This kowtowing to the reborn sweet spirits is yet another symptom of what clueless tools we've all become.

If any of you have viable plans on how to avoid seeing the middle class in the USA disappear, I'm all ears (and not just a big penis). Seriously boys and girls, we're all in for a world of hurt unless we grow up and face the economic reality that is the real threat to us all. (Me less than most of you, because I'm spread over several economies, one of which is NOT dependent upon what happens in the USA.)

In preparation for the collapse, I suggest everyone hone their gardening skills, rototill your lawns, and watch as many back episodes of The Victory Garden as possible.

Oh, and by the way, I'm one of those currently enjoying the fabulous tax breaks Bush and his ilk have showered upon the 1%-2% of 'Mericuhns. Trust me, I wouldn't go hungry if I had to pay more taxes on both the State as well as Federal level.

Chau.

Last edited:

B_Jaunet

Just Browsing
Media
I hope you realize, that those Hillary women, who have proven so spiteful to Obama are capable of just about anything...

I hope you realize that the sort of woman who has camaigned and stumped so hard for Senator Clinton is never going to vote for a Harriet Nelson clone.

(only this Harriet Nelson clone carries a gun! :eek: )

You cannot actually believe that Palin as a desperate choice on the part of McCain represents anything of an attractive nature politically to any intelligent American woman.

She's so old school Patriarchy she has babies too late, she doesn't believe in a woman's right to choose, and not too long ago she was the mayor of a small town in Alaska. Oh yeah she doesn't think same sex couple should be able to marry either.

Yup... she's a pistol (actually a shotgun). But leave it to McLame to find himself the last Neanderthal woman on the planet.

Impressive credentials that will impress Clinton supporters? No way José.

uniqueusername

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Doesn't matter, folks. The country is going down. That is, unless you'll get off your high horses and learn to accept the responsibility that WE ALL WILL HAVE TO BEGIN PAYING HIGHER TAXES to begin stabilizing the economy in order to even minimally rectify 22 out of the last 30 years of bad government. Remember my neo-con friends, you can only blame Clinton for 8 years of bad management. Reagan and the Bush Boyze bear more years of responsibility for the current economic situation than a man who was impeached for lying about getting a hummer in the Oval Office.

Why can't we just STOP SPENDING SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY? Raising taxes won't solve the problem, it'll just allow the government to spend more. Five years from now, they'll STILL be running a deficit and "have no choice" but to ask for more. We need to pass a balanced budget amendment. We had a chance to in 1996, but Clinton killed it by convincing ONE SENATOR not to vote for it. That one senator could have stopped the Iraq War, the bridge to nowhere (actually Palin killed that) and a bunch of other money pits that we currently find ourselves in.

mickstl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A balanced budget amendment would never pass w/o an exemption for military action.

Between the military, welfare, Social Security and Medicare -- how can we NOT spend money.

My only criticism (except maybe for being soft on the illegal aliens) of GWB is the fact that he let Congress (GOP controlled mind you) spend money like a bunch of drunken Dems at a homeless shelter....

He should have channeled Nancy Reagan and "just said no"...

D

deleted213967

A balanced budget amendment would never pass w/o an exemption for military action.

Between the military, welfare, Social Security and Medicare -- how can we NOT spend money.

My only criticism (except maybe for being soft on the illegal aliens) of GWB is the fact that he let Congress (GOP controlled mind you) spend money like a bunch of drunken Dems at a homeless shelter....

He should have channeled Nancy Reagan and "just said no"...

Right, right! How many spending bills did GWB veto while Congress was GOP-controlled?

Please do remind us!

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why can't we just STOP SPENDING SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY?

Because we continue to GIVE AWAY billions of dollars to Exxon, Halliburton, Lockheed, Blackwater and their ilk. GIVE AWAY. And then people have the gall to be indignant about worthwhile social programs that cost millions.

Raising taxes won't solve the problem, it'll just allow the government to spend more. Five years from now, they'll STILL be running a deficit and "have no choice" but to ask for more. We need to pass a balanced budget amendment. We had a chance to in 1996, but Clinton killed it by convincing ONE SENATOR not to vote for it. That one senator could have stopped the Iraq War, the bridge to nowhere (actually Palin killed that) and a bunch of other money pits that we currently find ourselves in.

When Reagan took office we were the biggest creditor nation in the history of the world. When he left office we were the biggest debtor nation in the history of the world. Clinton reversed that scenario in his tenure (leaving office with the deficit reduced again). Now Bush has pulled a Reagan and again snatched mind-boggling debt from the jaws of incredible prosperity. In eight years we've gone from being prosperity defined to being a virtual economic laughingstock. And higher taxes haven't had squat to do with it.

Why embrace the theory that more money for rich people and corporations will stimulate the economy for all of us, but then decide that less money for the FED will stimulate the economy for all of us? Because it's not really about all of us, is it? It's about the rich people and the corporations.

uniqueusername

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Because we continue to GIVE AWAY billions of dollars to Exxon, Halliburton, Lockheed, Blackwater and their ilk. GIVE AWAY. And then people have the gall to be indignant about worthwhile social programs that cost millions.

When Reagan took office we were the biggest creditor nation in the history of the world. When he left office we were the biggest debtor nation in the history of the world. Clinton reversed that scenario in his tenure (leaving office with the deficit reduced again). Now Bush has pulled a Reagan and again snatched mind-boggling debt from the jaws of incredible prosperity. In eight years we've gone from being prosperity defined to being a virtual economic laughingstock. And higher taxes haven't had squat to do with it.

Why embrace the theory that more money for rich people and corporations will stimulate the economy for all of us, but then decide that less money for the FED will stimulate the economy for all of us? Because it's not really about all of us, is it? It's about the rich people and the corporations.

I never said I supported any of that. In fact, those are the first areas of government spending I would *cut*. Besides, it seems counterintuitive to me to give huge subsidies to industries, then tax people who get rich off of them and increase those companies' taxes? Why not just get rid of the subsidies? That way, we can avoid taxing people who have been very successful without the help of the government.

Clinton reversed that scenario in his tenure (leaving office with the deficit reduced again).

He did not, the Republican congress did. Clinton didn't even start to have a surplus until 1995, long after the Republicans had taken over. And you still haven't answered for the balanced budget amendment that he killed. I don't know why you're bringing Bush into this; I don't think there's anyone here who thinks the Bush Administration and Congress (when controlled by either party) have been fiscally responsible. My argument is that Clinton had the opportunity to stop that from happening, and he did not.

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

Why can't we just STOP SPENDING SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY? Raising taxes won't solve the problem, it'll just allow the government to spend more. Five years from now, they'll STILL be running a deficit and "have no choice" but to ask for more.

You really should stop blamming politicians and start placing the blame were it really belongs with the American voter for being about clueless what's going on. The boss is supposed to know what the employee is doing and he doesn't.

Politicians have been selling a fantasy and the voters fall for it every election. The US has gone for over 200 years without a balanced budget amendment. If the public demanded a balanced budget like they demand action on terrorism, like they demand tax cuts without spending cuts, like they demand a strong defense, like they demand every thing else politicians would listen if it meant losing their jobs. But they don't demand it.

A country gets the goverment it deserves.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The boss is supposed to know what the employee is doing and he doesn't.

Why bother to spend time reading up on boring topics like budgets or foreign policy when right wing talk show entertainers are capable explaining even the most complicated topics in a few short sound bytes?

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why bother to spend time reading up on boring topics like budgets or foreign policy when right wing talk show entertainers are capable explaining even the most complicated topics in a few short sound bytes?

Plus, there'd be less time for things like the "My Redneck Wedding" marathon. And walking to the U-Totem high on Oxy.

Or for the "other half",

Making all the sales at Bloomies and Nieman's, getting a cut-and-color, and making it home in time to do jello shots with the next-door-neighbors' college student home for the weekend.

D

deleted15807

Exactly.
:wink: