McCain's shocking attack on Bush

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HyperHulk, Jun 4, 2008.

1. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    I'm listening to McCain's speech and I'm in shock.

McCain said in his speech today "I strongly disagreed with the Bush administration's mismanagement of the war in Iraq."

Um, wow. That to me is the most shocking admission I've heard from a high ranking republican. He said this to a republican crowd and their first reaction was silence. This is what will hurt McCain oddly enough. His line is the line for the democrats, not the republicans. He's telling his core that they person they elected and supported for 8 years was wrong. Ouch. How does Bush support and those who like Bush support McCain with statements like this?

I like McCain, but I can see now. He can't win this. He alienates his base and yet doesn't crossover enough to excite anyone else. His message is mixed. And he has to fight 2 battles, he has to say he's not Bush and he's better than Obama. But to say he's not Bush as bluntly as he says it is a bit of a smack in the face to the republicans who all supported Bush. Wow.

Obama is going to win this. He really is. I'm in shock. It's going to be easier than I thought.

2. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    i'd like to think obama has it in the bag, but i question whether or not a country that voted for bush twice will elect obama.

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

We watched both speeches this evening as well, and our reaction was similar. After watching McCain and Clinton, we looked at one another during Obama's speech, shook our heads and said Wow...McCain is gonna be steamrolled.

4. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I've seldom heard a politician so completely fail to rise to the occasion.
    He seemed like an old man with no more ideas.

5. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    The voted for him once. Gore won the first election and everyone knows that. Bush won the second term but on the back of 9/11 and terror fears. And he barely won.

You need to listen to McCain's speech. He's lost. It's amazing. He's trying to distance himself from Bush, while praising Obama but calling him too young and too inexperienced. And he's using all of Obama's language to go after him. He's going to lose because he doesn't have an identity beyond the 2 people who are overshadowing him: Bush and Obama. To vote for McCain as a republican you have to hate Bush--and most likely you voted for Bush twice. People rarely like to believe they were that wrong about anything. And if they were that wrong about Bush, couldn't they be wrong about McCain? McCain is screwed. I'm in shock.

6. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    would anybody NOT be surprised if mccain turned around and won the election?? stranger things have happened, and the US is 0for2 in the last 2 elections as far as voting for someone who'll properly lead this country, maybe we wanna go for 0 and 3

7. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    I'll be shocked. Obama has everything going for him. McCain won't be able to rally his own party, it's not possible. You can't attack the current leader from your own party and expect the party members to support you. I've never hear a republican go after Bush the way McCain did in that speech. How can you openly attack a man who endorsed you? Stunning.

There are only 3 scenarios where Obama could lose: assassination, a sexual/money/drug scandal or a major terroristic attack on a US city. Outside of those 3, Obama will win. No doubt.

8. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    this is the part where an illegitimate child is discovered, or he's busted at LAX with crack, or he's revealed to be an imposter/fraud. somehow a black president in my lifetime seems to good to be true.

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

McCain's peddling caution and I don't think caution is going to grab many minds when Obama, the finest speaker in a quarter century of American politics, takes up five months of homesteading rights on the nation's television sets and computer screens.

10. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^finest speaker?? BIG exaggeration. i like him but he's not a great speaker. he often dodges issues and skirts around them, spouting generic facts and statistics without really saying what his stance is.

11. B_JasonDawgxxx

B_JasonDawgxxx New Member

These Threads are going to be fun to re read in Novenber.

12. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    You must have missed that when McCain ran against Bush, Rove tried to say that McCain fathered a black child--the one they adopted is actually his it was claimed.

If Obama was running against Bush, you'd be right to worry about what Rove would do. But McCain isn't as morally corruptible as Bush/Rove. He'll pull his punches and that will help Obama.

5 months is a long time. Bill Clinton survived multiple affair claims, it will take a mountain to knock off Obama.

13. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^i disagree, some people love pointing at black guys who make mistakes and poor decisions and doing "see! told ya black guys are criminals" or bad fathers or whatever. i feel like because of his color, his behavior may be, to some, placed under an intense microscope that won't allow the slightest hint of falter.

14. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    Well you need to listen to McCain then. Obama on his own is brilliant as a speaker. I'm listening to him now after listening to the other 2. No one has spoken this well since Bill Clinton. McCain isn't even close. I'm excited for Obama--he's going to enjoy this.

15. cocktaste

Gold Member

McSame is a scumbag!

16. D_Gunther Snotpole

Who else then, marley?
    Seriously.
    Bill Clinton, possibly ... though Clinton wasn't so much moving as likable. He couldn't move the center of an audience. Obama can.
    To my ear, Reagan is the last speaker of equivalent power.
    But I'd be glad to hear your candidates ...

17. B_JasonDawgxxx

B_JasonDawgxxx New Member

Didnt Obama "Borrow" 2 speaches? lol

18. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    i don't have any, i usually don't listen to politicians speeches about how everything's gonna be better if you elect them, it's like a car salesman swearing to you that they've got the perfect car for you. curiosity has led me to listen to a few of his speeches and, as it stands, he's given some good ones but he's also given several where he stumbled and mumbled and, more importantly, dodged important issues. i can't think of any links right now but here's an example:

reporter: how do you feel about abortion?
    obama: many babies are aborted each year

reporter: how do you feel about gay marriage?
    obama: gay marriage affects many americans and how they're able to live their lives

reporter: gun control?
    obama: people use guns to kill each other.

obviously he's more articulate than that but the idea is, many times, i've heard him give neutral answers on issues that need to be either left or right. he's sacrificed his personal opinions and policies in favor of sounding like a pep rally director.

i'm not saying he's the worst, but he's certainly not the best public speaker.

19. midlifebear

Gold Member

I didn't hear McCain's little talk, but I have noticed that when he tries to make a jest he pulls his mouth back and makes a sound very much like Dick Cheney's chuckle. Frightening. No real sense of humor, just clenched teeth. I get the unnerving sense that he's been so allied with the pod people that he now just serves as a physical shell from which the neocons try to make him look as if he is really an individual, living entity. They DO walk among us, ya know.

20. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    I have no idea where you're coming from. Do you really think Obama could have made it this far by being that vague on key issues? He has an entire website that addresses many of the issues in detail. Check it out.

I think you're thinking of Romney. Obama is quite clear in what he believes in. Does he have every strategy worked out? No. He wants the troops out of Iraq but when and how is still something that needs to be worked on. That's fine. What I want to see is the passion and commitment to doing something but continuing failed Bush policies.

Just so you know, Obama is for civil unions, not gay marriage, he supports a woman's right to choose and he's for some forms of gun control.

I will concede that Obama doesn't do the thing I used to love about Bill Clinton. If you asked Bill Clinton what he was going to do about a particular problem, he would tell you, I'm going to do 1, 2 & 3. I loved that. I hope he picks that up when Bill gives him all the advice on how to win it all.

Draft saved Draft deleted