McCann thread: Guilty?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Skull Mason, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Was wondering what everyone's thougths are on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_McCann

I haven't seen or heard too much about this before I read something in a magazine today about it. But I do recall seeing mrs mccann on TV saying something about it a month or two ago and thinking (with my blink[gut instinct] ) to myself 'she's guilty' cause of the way she looked.

What puzzles me is the obvious possible DNA match in a car rented 25 days later, and also that she told the lady above her after she discovered her daughter was missing that she had already informed the cops, but in actuality didn't call them until about 40 minutes later.

However, I would not be surprised if a lot of these allegations and supposed evidence is just conjured up by the portugues police under pressure to solve the case. Things like that happen all the time, more can be read about that in 'Surviving Justice: America's Wrongfully Accused and Exonerated'.

Something doesn't seem right to me about it though.

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I think they're guilty, when a child is killed it's most often killed by someone close, neither of the parents seemed to be distraught as anyone would after their child goes missing. If my child had gone missing I'd be unable to leave the phone waiting for news, both parents were doctors so would be aware of how to cover a murder better than most people - and parents do not go off leaving their children alone in a strange place or any place, but above all else the mother just struck me as wrong.

Of course a lot of people say they're innocent and then it's terrible to accuse them when they're innocent, but even if they do turn out to be innocent (I very much doubt it) that child would be alive if she hadn't been left alone.

3. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed. I knew nothing of the case and when I saw the mother saying something on TV it just didn't look right to me. Thats a very good point that even if they are not guilty I'm sure they will feel guilty forever.

But man when you read that wikipedia article there are so many things going on. That Murat and Molinka connection, how he claimed to have not spoken to him for a year but phone records indicated they spoke later that night after she was abducted. Maybe they are all in on it, sayyy the mccanns soold their daughter to an illegal adoption network because the mother couldn't stand her. Its sick shit but it makes you think. I'm reading a book right now called 'The Sociopath Next Door', and something like 1 in 20-25 people are sociopaths and basically have no conscience.

[Dr.] Stout says that as many as 4% of the population are conscienceless sociopaths who have no empathy or affectionate feelings for humans or animals. As Stout (The Myth of Sanity) explains, a sociopath is defined as someone who displays at least three of seven distinguishing characteristics, such as deceitfulness, impulsivity and a lack of remorse. Such people often have a superficial charm, which they exercise ruthlessly in order to get what they want. Stout argues that the development of sociopathy is due half to genetics and half to nongenetic influences that have not been clearly identified.

I can see the deceit and lack of remorse in the mother. It almost seems the parents are pretending. I read in an article today that the mother would have outbursts (impulsive acting) and had trouble with her "hyperactive" child.

4. Osiris

Gold Member

This case has all the earmarks of the Jon Benet Ramsey Case. I thought someone in the Ramsey household committed the crime. I am pretty sure that something happened involving either a family member or someone close being involved.

I know that the family is trying to "spin" the mother's lack of emotion as her trying to keep her composure and not completely break down. I can do a pretty good job of composing myself, but if it was my kid? I'd be a raving mess on or off TV if I faced that. Not to mention, I would be in the street, constantly in the face of the authorities, turning over every rock, you get the idea. The McCann's seem a bit distant and I think that is what has me leaning toward guilty. Not to mention if you are that well off, get a babysitter if you want to have an adult dinner out. If you take family vacations, do you not look for resorts that offer childcare if needed? We do. The arguement that they were only a few yards away is bunk.

If Maddie was "hyperactive", would you really want that child waking up and having a hysterical fit that could result in damage to her, her siblings, and the room? I wouldn't.

Until just now, I had never really thought much about it, but my wife has been in the room when CNN has been on and when they show the McCanns, her scowl tells me where she stands on this. Guilty.

5. Osiris

Gold Member

Sorry. Network dropped me.

6. huw ginnit

huw ginnit New Member

Albums:
    I'm with you guys...they don't seem concerned enough and if anyone accused me of killing a child, my response certainly wouldn't be "Bring me the body and prove it"

Two things that also seem questionable is in mid Jun/July they said they were taking a week from the investigation to start the grieving process, (?)and they said many times that they weren't coming home without her, yet a soon as the Portuguese police starting treating them as suspects, they fly back as soon as they can.

Why would you start to grieve without knowing one way or another?

I doesn't add up

Why would any child's DNA be in the boot of a car? I've never been in the boot of a car, have you?

People always argue over the supposed contamination of DNA evidence, look at the Romanovs...

7. dong20

Gold Member

Have you even put anything into, or taken anything out of the boot of a car that has been in contact with you, shoes, a jacket etc, have you ever leaned into the boot of a car to reach for something and brushed your head against the boot lid, or your hand against the carpet? If so then likely as not your DNA will be found in there.

I love all these armchair sleuths....I hope none of you will be, or have been jurists..!

8. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

At the very least, they're guilty of criminal neglect. Leaving three young kids alone in a hotel for hours is a crime!

I wonder what would have happened if they had hurt themselves or got lost because they were too busy pretending not to be parents?

As for Maddie, I feel she's just becoming a pawn or matyr for a get-rich-quick scheme. I'd love to be a millionaire, have consultations with the pope and be a minor celeb all out of sympathy!

9. Osiris

Gold Member

And you Dong have raised the reason I am not sure either way. Some people handle things differently. I mean even though it was a rental car, blood could transfer from a bag or something Maddie may have had a nosebleed on. There are way too many unanswered questions in my mind to say 100%. The media has their opinion obviously and, whether we like it or not, we as pepole tend to make our decisions pretty quickly.

I may be leaning guilty, but I would have to say on evidence, there is not enough to convict from what has been reported.

10. Mana

Mana Member

Albums:
    Amen... lol. :tongue:

11. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

What's the difference between making conjectures on what we've seen in the papers on this and being a juror, in both cases we're basing our decision as to guilt or innocence on all the evidence we have available.

Part of the reason why police get parents to make a televised plea for information so they can see how the parents respond, any of us are qualified to judge whether we're seeing the truth or someone covering up.

12. new_n_curious

new_n_curious New Member

Albums:
    I think they are guilty, I also think they may get away with it.

13. new_n_curious

new_n_curious New Member

Albums:
    I think they are guilty, I also think they may get away with it. All of those dining with the McCanns should be charged with Neglect. I also find something very suspicious about that Jane Tanner who also left her POORLY children alone that night!

Nothing quite adds up in my opinion.

14. Principessa

Gold Member

I always thought that Kate Mc Cann (the mother) was guilty. So it didn't surprise me when the police announced two weeks ago that both parents were suspects. What surprised me was that they hadn't been suspects all along.

When a mother loses a child at the mall for 5 minutes they become hysterical. I've seen her shed a few tears but she didn't respond like a woman who may never see her kid again. It's almost as if she knows she is in good hands or is already dead. :frown1:

What kind of moron leaves 3 children under the age of 5 alone in a hotel room?!?!:eek: Not to mention leaving them alone in a foreign country. That alone says guilty and stupid.

15. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I think she probably was a suspect all along NJ, but the police would want her to remain unaware she was a suspect as she'd be less guarded and more likely to give herself away.

16. new_n_curious

new_n_curious New Member

Albums:
    I also think that due their high profile and interfering do-gooders (Richard Branson etc) they may actually get away with it!

In my opinion nothing quite adds up, there lack of emotion, washing cuddle cat, not wanting to leave kids with strangers yet dropping them off at a kids club everyday.

Sorry but who the fuck would leave 3 smalls kids alone for the sake of a meal.

17. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    My question is a bit different -- I believe that Maddie is quite probably dead. I believe there's foul play, lies and deceit.

But how/WHY did Maddie die? I can't really believe that the parents said that night, "Oh, it's time to kill Maddie..."

18. frizzle

Gold Member

Let's get it straight, they haven't been named as suspects yet, personally I don't think they will be as there isn't strong enough evidence against them.

Also, just because the majority of women get hysterical over losing their children doesn't mean all will, and we don't know how the McCann's are coping, even though the media just love this story, we don't have a camera when they're all alone, and you're right, maybe they've accepted that their little girl has been killed, it's probably the most plausible theory.

And you do over exaggerate on the fact they left them alone. It was in a hotel resort for a short extended time in a family area, I would take a guess that the McCann's felt their children would be safe. Obviously it was a stupid idea, but to be honest, losing your child is a far worse punishment that you, I or the courts could give her.

Personally I don't think the McCann's are killers, there's nowhere near enough evidence to even begin to prosecute them, I think it's just media speculation, it's usual yo-yo ways, and the Portuguese police turning their backs on the couple, especially after the way the British media treated them.

19. Osiris

Gold Member

Well don't forget that case years back where the mother drove the car into the lake killing her two sons or the mother in Texas that killed the five children in the bathtub. If (and it is a big if) Maddie died and if it was at the hands of a parent, who knows whether it was a mental issue or not.

I have to agree on most of this. The media has way overspun this, the Portuguese police I think were ignoring them because they took the case to the media and it made them look bad. I think some of their desire to go after the McCann's could be chalked up to a little payback. The McCann's pulled out a lot of heavy hitters (Sir Richard Branson, Posh, Beckham, even J.K. Rowling) to draw attention to this situation. When a police force is under such major scrutiny, errors in handling the crime and publicity happen. It also leads to the police trying to wrap the case up quickly so the media will go away.

I still can't say whether I truly believe the McCann's are completely innocent, but they are not proven guilty yet either.

Draft saved Draft deleted