McDonald's French Fries

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The global success of MacDonalds is one of the great mysteries of the universe IMO.

Absolutely tasteless with vile texture. You have to put ketchup on just to get any taste whatsoever.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
yeah i do that too...most of the businesses i deal with tend to be very good and responsive to complaints.

and certain restaurants that i order from know me and value my business so they take suggestions and complaints to heart, and immediately rectify them...which is why i keep my business with them.

i also keep extra condiments at home, but to me it was the principal of the thing.

Yeah, I understand that.

i should also state that this might very well be only a particular policy of this one McDonald's franchise, because the last two times i have been there to get fries they have charged me for sauce, but before that, when i had gone to other ones, i was never charged...i think the next time, i should go to one of the other stores, and if they do charge me, i will know that it is a national mandate, as opposed to individual policy.

Yeah, I think that the cashier was ticked off and that was an isolated case. You could also try the drive-in service at that McDonald's and ask if they do charge extra for additional sauce tabs. If they don't...then you know that it isn't a mandate at that McDonald's.

You probably could go to another McDonald's that doesn't charge you extra for the sauces.

the store near me also did not have the $1 menu, while the other did.

Maybe this was just a rogue McDonalds. :smile:

There are some McDonald's franchisees that are operated independently and do not offer the entire McDonalds menu roster. Some places you cannot get the Shamrock shake or the McRib sandwich.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are some McDonald's franchisees that are operated independently and do not offer the entire McDonalds menu roster. Some places you cannot get the Shamrock shake or the McRib sandwich.

Yeah, the breakfast steak bagel is not available in OK but is here in PA, like Long John Silver has Salmon Dinner in OK but not here in PA.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have a similar situation- I work in the culinary industry and dammit, once in a blue moon ONLY a medium McDees fries will DO!!

So I wen thru the drive thru (BIG mistake)

I pulled away to find out they were

A) cold
B) tasted like sour fish (am guessing the 'fish sandich' was cooked with it...

so I wrote a letter...a long one (online)

I got a obviously read with a bad connection apology call and a coupon for something called the 'mac (something)

so one day (okay it was raining, I did the gym, I was exhausted, I had papers to grade and it was a moment of big weakness)

I used one.

I almost retched in the car. It was (as I wrote to them) ice cold cat food in a tortilla.

at this point it isn't about the food its about the BS.

So I wrote another nasty note...

and was sent a FREE small sandwich, small fries and drink coupon, which I gave to my bottomless pit son. Oh, they sent the letter CERTIFIED (I was not about to go to the post offfice to pick up a certified letter from mcdonalds)

the kicker? the expiration date on the coupons were for a week BEFORE the letter was mailed...

at this point I give up, or ask for my OWN mcdonalds...

sheesh- baffling but their sales are climbing (cheap is cheap in this economy)

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yeah i do that too...most of the businesses i deal with tend to be very good and responsive to complaints.

and certain restaurants that i order from know me and value my business so they take suggestions and complaints to heart, and immediately rectify them...which is why i keep my business with them.

i also keep extra condiments at home, but to me it was the principal of the thing.

Yeah, I understand that.

i should also state that this might very well be only a particular policy of this one McDonald's franchise, because the last two times i have been there to get fries they have charged me for sauce, but before that, when i had gone to other ones, i was never charged...i think the next time, i should go to one of the other stores, and if they do charge me, i will know that it is a national mandate, as opposed to individual policy.

Yeah, I think that the cashier was ticked off and that was an isolated case. You could also try the drive-in service at that McDonald's and ask if they do charge extra for additional sauce tabs. If they don't...then you know that it isn't a mandate at that McDonald's.

You probably could go to another McDonald's that doesn't charge you extra for the sauces.

the store near me also did not have the $1 menu, while the other did.

Maybe this was just a rogue McDonalds. :smile:

very true...you cannot get the mcRib most places...which is strange.

but i cannot go to the drive-thru, since i live in New York :smile:

as for McD's i have to say, that i always loved their breakfast...the egg mcmuffin and the bacon egg and cheese biscuits are very tasty (and their hash browns RULE!) :biggrin1:

though i have not had a breakfast at McDonald's in probably 15 years.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a similar situation- I work in the culinary industry and dammit, once in a blue moon ONLY a medium McDees fries will DO!!

So I wen thru the drive thru (BIG mistake)

I pulled away to find out they were

A) cold
B) tasted like sour fish (am guessing the 'fish sandich' was cooked with it...

so I wrote a letter...a long one (online)

I got a obviously read with a bad connection apology call and a coupon for something called the 'mac (something)

so one day (okay it was raining, I did the gym, I was exhausted, I had papers to grade and it was a moment of big weakness)

I used one.

I almost retched in the car. It was (as I wrote to them) ice cold cat food in a tortilla.

at this point it isn't about the food its about the BS.

So I wrote another nasty note...

and was sent a FREE small sandwich, small fries and drink coupon, which I gave to my bottomless pit son. Oh, they sent the letter CERTIFIED (I was not about to go to the post offfice to pick up a certified letter from mcdonalds)

the kicker? the expiration date on the coupons were for a week BEFORE the letter was mailed...

at this point I give up, or ask for my OWN mcdonalds...

sheesh- baffling but their sales are climbing (cheap is cheap in this economy)

it is very rare that they would let the fish near the fries...that must be an exceptional case...i had that happend at a regular restaurant, and it disgusted me as i hate fish

the key with them, is not to really gravitate away from the main staples...once you go for those breakfast burritos and mcSalad wraps you are just asking for trouble.

when i used to eat there, i never got anything other than a quarter pounder with cheese, and a french fries....though i have to say i sampled the McChicken crispy sandwich and it was tasty, if a bit plain (little dollop of mayo and a bit of shredded lettuce)

and when i ate breakfast on the run, it was either an egg mc muffin or a bacon egg and cheese biscuit, with a hash brown (or two, since they were so delicious ) :biggrin1:

as long as you stick to basics there, you are okay...once you start experimenting with the new stuff they have added to expand their menu and make it more appealing, you are wading in to uncharted waters, as you found out with that tortilla thing.

years and year ago, Burger King used to make a breaded chicken specialty sandwich that was awesome...don't know if they still make it as i have not been to a BK in 20 some odd years.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
The secret to the Mickey D French Fries is they blanch them in sugar. My uncle worked for Fry Master's for 5 years and he said it's the reason they are sweet, but addictive and tasty.

I thought that the fries are coated with beef fat prior to being frozen in the factory. The beef fat is one of their "natural flavors".

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I will say that McDonald's fries are truly what's up. I don't care for too much on their menu, but the fries are definitely a selling point for me, especially if they're just fried and you get one of the first batches. I also know that sometimes I just crave salty foods, and these fries are definitely pretty good for handling that craving. I will say that only one joint does fries better: Rally's. Salty and that spicier seasoning salt AND curly? Done and done.

cklover

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's so sad...once all the fast food companies switched over to that new, healthier, politically correct fat, the fries have lost lots of their former glorious flavor. Even most of the mid-priced places have made the switch...:mad:..I hope all those nosy, controlling food activists are satisfied!:mad::mad::mad:

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
I am not a fast food person per se, but the "death torpedo" level of McDonalds is particularly bad. The legendary taste of McDonalds fries are done in a very simple way. McDonalds blanches their fries in a very high concentration of what used to be sugar before they're fast frozen. These days it's probably high fructose corn syrup which is cheaper.

Unless they have changed again McDonalds has also changed their frying oils. What they changed to was "Olean/Olestra" as a fry oil. When this stuff was tested on animals they all died. Olean/Olestra based oils (also found in some potato chips) prevent the absorption not only of fats which is good, but it also prevents the absorption of nutirents and particularly oil based vitamin content of the food you are eating as well.

Some medications are killed by the presence of this "healthy" oil and between that kind of thing and the heavy dosages of high fructose corn syrup used in and by so many fast food chains is really bad.

Some countries of outlawed the usage of high fructose corn syrup (Mexico is one) in prepared foods because it has horrific effects on blood sugar. Even people who are not diabetic can throw very high blood sugar numbers before the pancreas kicks in and makes enough insulin to bring it back down.

Though the reality is a bit "etreme" the health of the food of McDonalds is very well expressed in the documentary film "Super Size Me". A healthy man becomes a guinea pig for McDonald's food and over time he is monitored by a physician while doing it. There is a real lesson in this.

Fast food should be a "desperation only" move when nothing else is available.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have to say, that when i am out in L.A. visiting my sister, i have gone in to In n Out Burger...and they were really fucking delicious. :redface::redface::redface: