McPalin and "winning the wars"

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
I don't know...
I keep hearing reference to "winning the wars" in Iraq and Afghanistan...
What does victory mean to these people?
Is victory possible?
Can you really occupy a country, and expect people NOT to rise up.
If China pulled into Ohio tomorrow.. and occupied, do you think that in about five minutes there would be several local militias being formed, and people flooding into Ohio from every state surrounding?

We can never win over there.
You cannot win against a religion or a belief.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bush already declared victory and that the Iraq war was over a few years ago, on national t.v.

But to answer your question, I don't know. We've removed their leader, installed our own, set up a democracy, sort of, so why is it considered a loss if we pull out? How many other nations have we done this to, and their democracy failed, yet we still consider it a victory? Even Cheney himself the best option for Iraq is a U.S. friendly dictator, not a democracy.

Not to mention we are currently getting our ass kicked in Afghanistanimation...and about to lose, bad...

Dick and Junior are just sitting in the White House with a Risk board in front of them, but failing to see how hard it actually is to occupy the Middle East...everyone knows you gotta take Eqypt and East Africa first, come on Jr. Where's your head at?

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't know...
I keep hearing reference to "winning the wars" in Iraq and Afghanistan...
What does victory mean to these people?
Is victory possible?
Can you really occupy a country, and expect people NOT to rise up.

You get the media's manipulated version of our occupation there. Sure, factions have 'risen up.' What you don't see from the liberal media, is that countless Iraqis are very happy we are there. Sometime read an account from a soldier or military personnel, and entertain the possibility that Keith Olbermann may be slightly slanted in his delivery of 'news.'

If China pulled into Ohio tomorrow.. and occupied, do you think that in about five minutes there would be several local militias being formed, and people flooding into Ohio from every state surrounding?

If you think this is a comparable analogy to our occupation in Iraq/Afghan you should stop snorting MSNBC.

We can never win over there.
You cannot win against a religion or a belief.

That's true. But you can free people of oppression, implement education and healthcare facilities, provide an infrastructure for goverment that exists on its own, and greatly mitigate the threat that the country once represented.

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
You get the media's manipulated version of our occupation there. Sure, factions have 'risen up.' What you don't see from the liberal media, is that countless Iraqis are very happy we are there. Sometime read an account from a soldier or military personnel, and entertain the possibility that Keith Olbermann may be slightly slanted in his delivery of 'news.'

If you think this is a comparable analogy to our occupation in Iraq/Afghan you should stop snorting MSNBC.

That's true. But you can free people of oppression, implement education and healthcare facilities, provide an infrastructure for goverment that exists on its own, and greatly mitigate the threat that the country once represented.

Actually, I helped rehab marines from iraq for the VA, so I think I have a pretty clear idea from what the troops told me what it was like over there.