Me! Me! Me!

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
All right, bitches.

I've got something on my mind.

My dear buddy Hung Muscle and I were chatting a bit in private, and we were discussing some troubling events of late. I browsed the thread to out Monster as a faker, and people were going back and forth about that. There are some impressive guys around here; I'm not afraid to nod. But, you know, I get the feeling that some guys around here are fighting tooth and nail to be very popular, like they want all eyes on them and will do whatever they can to be that way.

I wanna know, why?

Feel free to correct me on this. I think the guys that get the most immediate notice are the ones who submit pics of their dicks. Big dicks are a plus; guys in shape are also a plus. Then, you have the guys known most for their humor or candor, and the most tenacious posters usually garner attention eventually. They'll get a post number appreciation thread carved out for them. These are obvious statements. I think what I'm getting at is that some guys on here are really trying their damnedest to draw attention to themselves, and I'd like a little consolation -- knowing that this place really is something more than just a big dick popularity contest.

MercurialBliss -- whether it's the girl part or the guy part talking, I don't remember -- said something similar in her thread. I'm not really going nutsoid over here, but I gotta say that for a site to start developing in this sort of way, you know, you really lose out in the end. It presents unrealistic ideals for membership, like you have to have the biggest wang or the most provocative statements to make an impact; otherwise, you're just Internet white noise. Digg feels like this, too. You have to bump up, vote, and pen something on all sorts of threads, and the thoughtful responses really fall by the wayside.

You know what? Yeah, I'm not too hard up. I'm saying this as a guy who has given this some thought. I think I was the most popular when I had my dick posted on the site, and every now and again someone would compliment something I've written. I try to post for content, not for quantity. I think I'm reasonably attractive, but there are better looking guys out there. Bigger dicks too. Other times, I'll go into the chat room and try to keep a discussion going, and you get the real time effects of feeling dissed and dismissed. And if I took ten pictures of my dick and conjured up a cumshot video, would things change? I'm not sure...

FitFemFan77

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, most people that I know that demonstrate that type of behavior just want to be the center of attention, good or bad. I don't know Monster since I am fairly new in the forums so I can't be judge and jury on the subject matter. In the short time I have been browsing and posting, there have been some crude and rude remarks made by different people. Attention getters? Maybe not, more like people that like to stir the pot and watch it boil.

And did I mention that not many people commented on my introduction to the forums with my photos. I'm average build, so I don't get the Wows. If I don't get comments, I'm going to hold my breath and stamp my feet!

sjprep06

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I think that's just how forums generally operate even on that is primarily based around oversized male genitalia. You usually have to be double-jointed, cross-eyed and on fire in order to get instant attention or you need to be always almost borderline sarcastic and over philosophic.

I just post and whoever looks, looks and that's the best that I can do. These posts are 99% opinion and not fact. Like all opinions, people have the right not to listen to them

P.S.- I object to being called a 'bitch':wink::biggrin1:

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
All right, bitches...
Digg feels like this, too. You have to bump up, vote, and pen something on all sorts of threads, and the thoughtful responses really fall by the wayside.

I think I was the most popular when I had my dick posted on the site, and every now and again someone would compliment something I've written....

Who is Diqq?
And are you feeling that you are less popular Dee?:confused:

BTW I don't think calling people bitches will help improve your popularity rating.:biggrin1:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Other times, I'll go into the chat room and try to keep a discussion going, and you get the real time effects of feeling dissed and dismissed.I have been on the other end, of the dead air, in chat when there appear to be 20 flurkers already there. And if I took ten pictures of my dick and conjured up a cumshot video, would things change? I'm not sure...
If you were to do that I would definetely sit up and take notice.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It seems like so many people, like you, Dee, who are high quality, interesting posters end up getting frustrated and stop posting because they get little if any response. Right now, I'm hard pressed to respond to this in the thoughtful manner it deserves because I'm half asleep. I've been finding myself doing that a lot lately-- a thread I really want to dig into and respond I don't immediately and then it falls off the radar. So I get stuck writing one-line replies to bullshit.

I don't know. I'll read your posts with or without the cock and cumshots, but I feel the same. It seems like for women as well that if you've got a few hot pics up you can make a thread about the direction of the wind and get 7 pages of replies. Then, at some point, if name-calling starts, the entire site is on the thread taking sides and it gets another 20 pages of responses.

I don't know, except that I agree with you and hope you keep posting because you always have something good and interesting to say. It seems like posters like you are leaving like rats from a sinking ship lately.

B_4inches

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The internet conjures up a lot of feelings of wanting to be accepted because its so damn easy. I honestly think webistes like youtube and myspace, especially myspace has done more harm then good. More and more people are focused with getting attention and plenty of them are gonna do what it takes it get it. Kids are doing things on the net that you'd never see them do otherwise and its becoming more and more the norm and the better looking you are the earier it will be and the more you'll get but dont for a second let them tell you they dont care. They care most of all. Im seeing people becoming more self absorbed, less patient, less humble, less introspective and why should they? Its all about feeling good about yourself right? Every little motion a person undertakes to get the attention they want is no longer the selfish act it should be but is now "brave" and "courageous" or in some other way a good thing to do.

Believe me, Im not immune to it. I can tell you that as Im writing I can feel a small amount of adrenaline going and excitment over posting this and seeing peoples reactions. But the adult side tries to ignore that and walk that narrow path of telling the truth without being an ass about it. Everyone likes attention so you dont have to speculate if the people who post on this site are seeking it or not. That should be a no brainer. Of course they are! Its so damn easy to post risque pictures of yourself here and then you get to ask for people to comment? Cant do that in most bars now can you? So of course people are gonna do it and love it. Thats the attraction of this site.

On the net its difficult for me to connect to people because I can never believe them. Its easy to be sweet and nice to a total stranger you've just met but how long does that last? Its pretty insincere and that sucks becuase Im not. I give of myself, my persona what I can or whats willing to be taken but more often than not the platitudes dont last. The bitch of it is, is that its carrying over into everything else. When did people stop meaning what they say? When did it all become nothign but red carpet pleasantries forgotten as soon as you walk away?

Whats scary to me is how people are saying all the time how none of this is really a big deal. The more that becomes normal the more that line is pushed.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I get the feeling that some guys around here are fighting tooth and nail to be very popular, like they want all eyes on them and will do whatever they can to be that way.
I wanna know, why?

Is there the slightest mystery?
That's what people do, much of the time, everywhere.
Don't mean to be snarky ... but to say you think it's unwise, or pays few dividends, or doesn't represent the best of people ... would all be very true.
But surprise?

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
this was posted on another board I pos at, and I think it applies (I changed references to that bard tot his board for clarity's sake):

1. Pillars.
These are the guys who create the topics, and elaborate on other threads that don't yet have any real direction. The mix of these boarders online at any time defines whether or not we're in some board slump or not. The quality of the board depends entirely on the momentum it has at any one moment. Quality comes in hot streaks depending on key boarders pushing conversation. Not all boarders are created equally, obviously, and some of the guys pushing conversation aren't the funniest/most thought provoking. Not all of these boarders are necessarily the most popular, but they tend to be the most active and sometimes they're not even all that well received (monster, for example). Either way, one of the most important class of boarders.

2. Beams.
These are the people that don't really steer the direction, but contribute to whatever is already there. Mostly content filler waiting around for a sharpshooter post from someone like Osiris or SpoiledPrincess, or NJqt466 to come along and give the payoff. Some good people, some funny people, somewhat inclined to do the generic one-liner thing (bigduder)...this is most of the lpsg.

3. Foundation
These are the people oldtimers talk about. They've been around forever, they have the ultimate vision of the board. And if we're functioning correctly, their vision is held. And let's face it, they haven't forced out a whole lot of people that the board would be remarkably better off with.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
@Snoozan: I appreciate what you said. The easy response is to wonder how to plug all the holes in the hull of this ship. The hard question that remains isn't all that quite clear. I just don't want to be complacent about this place. I care about it enough to divulge just enough to start some new friendships and to keep others in place. I think I can ignore the other crap just the same; you're right about how I'm tired of feeling frustrated.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Every post I make is for my own entertainment.

If it entertains other people, all for the better. If I'm the only one that ever reads it, that's fine.

Naturally, I would love replies to my posts because that's what an Internet forum is for.

It's not about wanting to be popular or known; It's about wanting to shoot the shit and get a conversation rolling with random people. It's like going to a bar and chatting it up with whoever's there, but without the need to get dressed up, go out, and blow money on booze I don't need.

Anyway, my advice is that you approach a forum in that way. Don't concern yourself with who wants to be the center of attention, and don't get upset when posts of your own that you thought were insightful or entertaining garner no attention. It happens to everyone--I can think of quite a few great posts (in my opinion) that I've made that were never addressed. And I can think of instances where people who had sexy pics in their gallery garnered attention for their mediocre posts just because of their pics.

But that doesn't mean that I feel obligated to put up sexy pics of myself because I feel that if my words on their own don't garner attention, then I'm not particularly interested in responses. In other words, I don't want fluff responses just because I have pics of my dick, abs, ass and face in my gallery--I'd rather just keep getting smart or funny replies from others based on what I've actually written.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Gee Dee -
Sorry you are feeling frustrated. Truly. What about taking a break and returning later and see how things are then? I understand your disappointment. But I don't know how to lessen it.
Guy-jin: that was a great post. Well said.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Every post I make is for my own entertainment.

If it entertains other people, all for the better. If I'm the only one that ever reads it, that's fine.

Essentially my attitude, too.

guys, no one is replying to my post.

Because they were all knocked sideways that it was more than a one-liner :tongue:

An awful lot is being made lately of how LPSG is sick and needs fixing (or words to that effect). I don't see it as sick / wrong / broken. This is a relatively free and easy place. People here seem to speak with a great deal of honesty about difficult or personal subjects. People also seem to have a great deal of light-hearted fun. From time to time there is friction - people calling out 'fakers', the mud-slinging in a heated debate gets a little too heavy-handed - that kind of thing. But it is actually really easy to step away from, log out. Plus it goes in cycles. And everybody here has people who they prefer reading, responding to, being answered by - people who they return here to interact with - and each of us does that on our own terms. The way we interact isn't dictated by the flow of the forum, the flow of the forum is dictated by the way we interact. If you, Dee, feel a certain body of posters are ignoring you because you don't whip it out enough then my advice to you is not to whip it out (although don't let me stop you :biggrin1:) but to ignore that body of posters. They are clearly here for different reasons. In your case, they are the white noise. No?

An example: I frankly couldn't give a flying fuck if Monster is a fake - I rarely read much of what he says, or what people say to him - for all I know he's a goldfish - I don't interact with the guy, and if I do I'll take it on whatever level it comes at, and his gallery doesn't enter into it. I rather expect Monster couldn't give two hoots about me and my posts for pretty much the same reason. Back to the white noise analogy - Monster is white noise to me and I rather expect I am white noise to him.

Each of us here gets to chose how we comport ourselves, generally and in reaction to others. Some people allow what is in the galleries to effect their reactions - some don't. If you find the former type shallow then don't interact with them. If you want to wave your cock at them to get their attention then go for it. If you don't, don't. It really depends how much time you want to spend interacting with people who let that kind of thing effect their view of people.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
this was posted on another board I pos at, and I think it applies (I changed references to that bard tot his board for clarity's sake):

1. Pillars.
These are the guys who create the topics, and elaborate on other threads that don't yet have any real direction. The mix of these boarders online at any time defines whether or not we're in some board slump or not. The quality of the board depends entirely on the momentum it has at any one moment. Quality comes in hot streaks depending on key boarders pushing conversation. Not all boarders are created equally, obviously, and some of the guys pushing conversation aren't the funniest/most thought provoking. Not all of these boarders are necessarily the most popular, but they tend to be the most active and sometimes they're not even all that well received (monster, for example). Either way, one of the most important class of boarders.

2. Beams.
These are the people that don't really steer the direction, but contribute to whatever is already there. Mostly content filler waiting around for a sharpshooter post from someone like Osiris or SpoiledPrincess, or NJqt466 to come along and give the payoff. Some good people, some funny people, somewhat inclined to do the generic one-liner thing (bigduder)...this is most of the lpsg.

3. Foundation
These are the people oldtimers talk about. They've been around forever, they have the ultimate vision of the board. And if we're functioning correctly, their vision is held. And let's face it, they haven't forced out a whole lot of people that the board would be remarkably better off with.
I'm definitely a beam. :(

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
3. Foundation

Forced out isn't necessary, looking at the site as a place these foundations no longer want to be a member of and they leave, that's part of the problem. It seems like we've lost a lot of the foundation folks that made this site what it was... And, TBH, I think it's just a matter of time before this site becomes fluff and bullshit that even a bottom feeder like me doesn't want to read.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

1. Pillars.

2. Beams.

3. Foundation

I can't speak for NJ or Sp, but I am honored you see me as a quality poster. I'll have to take you out for drinks with Meg and I when I am in KC this spring.

I like the analogies too. They truly fit and I can see where many would fall within the three structures. And don't stop with the one-liners bud. They often difuse a very tense post.