Meat of cloned cow offspring in UK food chain

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Relentless Original, Aug 5, 2010.

1. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Meat of cloned cow offspring in UK food chain, FSA says.

Meat from the offspring of a cloned cow was eaten in the UK last year, the Food Standards Agency has said.

BBC News - Meat of cloned cow offspring in UK food chain, FSA says

Is it me or what?

For some reason this really concerns me. Just what are we eating and drinking?

Will it put you off?

Can i have your opinions please?

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I really don't know what to think of this.
    Sounds spooky, but then again to the best of my knowledge I haven't eaten a cloned animal before. I'll have to wait this one out and see if there are any scientific breakthroughs (or failures) from this.

3. midlifebear

Gold Member

I'm not surprised about the UK's meat industry. The cloned meat can't be any worse than the undetected strains of mad cow tissue that makes it to the English Sunday table as a young joint of cow.

4. Jason

Gold Member

Cloned cow beef is just as safe to eat as any other beef.

There is legislation to stop meat from cloned animals entering the food chain, put in place as a sop to the hysteria around the issue. The legislation applies also to the descendants of cloned cows, and this is where there was confusion. It seems that a lot of people in the industry just didn't realise this (including in the government ministry responsible for enforcing it and giving advice to farmers). Now I know ignorance of the law is no defence, but it is easy to see how the mistake has happened, particularly when the ministry enforcing the law didn't get it right.

Presumably the next stage is to say that there are lots of descendants of cloned cows out there somewhere but we don't know quite where they are, so we just accept the reality as a fait accompli. The media will get bored with the story, and our herds are enriched by the selective breeding offered by cloning.

The issue is completely different from Mad Cow Disease. Here we had a previously unknown disease with an uncertain cause and uncertain transmission mechanism between cows - and an unexpected cause of human CJD. Robust action has eliminated the BSE and so far we have not had major numbers of CJD sufferers.

5. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I have no concern over cloned cow beef, still a cow whichever way it is created.

6. sbat

sbat New Member

We eat cloned veggies all the time. No complaints there...

7. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    do cows have multiple births? If so I expect there have been identical twins from time to time...and all their descendants are decendants of clones.

A clone is supposed to be an identical copy. So its the same as the original. So its a cow. Genuine, original. Whats the issue? Or is the problem that someone thinks these clones are not clones?

8. Jason

Gold Member

Can't quite remember the name, but have you seen this film? It came out of Hollywood a few years back. The mad scientist created the mutant-cloned Frankenstein-like something or other which escaped the lab and the human race nearly came to an end.

We are dealing with irrational fear. Thankfully the media seems to have got bored with this one, so we probably don't have to slaughter every cow in the country.

9. B_BeautifulDark

B_BeautifulDark New Member

Bovine twins suffer from a conditions call "freemartinism" and are rendered sterile in the womb.

Freemartin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    fascinating, but it says it only happens to mixed sexx twins, so obviously not with clones.

11. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i dont understand why people are upset about human clones either. Clones are people too.

Draft saved Draft deleted