Meat of cloned cow offspring in UK food chain

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Meat of cloned cow offspring in UK food chain, FSA says.

Meat from the offspring of a cloned cow was eaten in the UK last year, the Food Standards Agency has said.

BBC News - Meat of cloned cow offspring in UK food chain, FSA says

Is it me or what?

For some reason this really concerns me. Just what are we eating and drinking?

Will it put you off?

Can i have your opinions please?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I really don't know what to think of this.
Sounds spooky, but then again to the best of my knowledge I haven't eaten a cloned animal before. I'll have to wait this one out and see if there are any scientific breakthroughs (or failures) from this.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Cloned cow beef is just as safe to eat as any other beef.

There is legislation to stop meat from cloned animals entering the food chain, put in place as a sop to the hysteria around the issue. The legislation applies also to the descendants of cloned cows, and this is where there was confusion. It seems that a lot of people in the industry just didn't realise this (including in the government ministry responsible for enforcing it and giving advice to farmers). Now I know ignorance of the law is no defence, but it is easy to see how the mistake has happened, particularly when the ministry enforcing the law didn't get it right.

Presumably the next stage is to say that there are lots of descendants of cloned cows out there somewhere but we don't know quite where they are, so we just accept the reality as a fait accompli. The media will get bored with the story, and our herds are enriched by the selective breeding offered by cloning.

The issue is completely different from Mad Cow Disease. Here we had a previously unknown disease with an uncertain cause and uncertain transmission mechanism between cows - and an unexpected cause of human CJD. Robust action has eliminated the BSE and so far we have not had major numbers of CJD sufferers.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Cloned cow beef is just as safe to eat as any other beef.

There is legislation to stop meat from cloned animals entering the food chain, put in place as a sop to the hysteria around the issue. The legislation applies also to the descendants of cloned cows, and this is where there was confusion. It seems that a lot of people in the industry just didn't realise this (including in the government ministry responsible for enforcing it and giving advice to farmers). Now I know ignorance of the law is no defence, but it is easy to see how the mistake has happened, particularly when the ministry enforcing the law didn't get it right.

Presumably the next stage is to say that there are lots of descendants of cloned cows out there somewhere but we don't know quite where they are, so we just accept the reality as a fait accompli. The media will get bored with the story, and our herds are enriched by the selective breeding offered by cloning.

The issue is completely different from Mad Cow Disease. Here we had a previously unknown disease with an uncertain cause and uncertain transmission mechanism between cows - and an unexpected cause of human CJD. Robust action has eliminated the BSE and so far we have not had major numbers of CJD sufferers.

I have no concern over cloned cow beef, still a cow whichever way it is created.

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
We eat cloned veggies all the time. No complaints there...

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
do cows have multiple births? If so I expect there have been identical twins from time to time...and all their descendants are decendants of clones.

A clone is supposed to be an identical copy. So its the same as the original. So its a cow. Genuine, original. Whats the issue? Or is the problem that someone thinks these clones are not clones?

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Can't quite remember the name, but have you seen this film? It came out of Hollywood a few years back. The mad scientist created the mutant-cloned Frankenstein-like something or other which escaped the lab and the human race nearly came to an end.

We are dealing with irrational fear. Thankfully the media seems to have got bored with this one, so we probably don't have to slaughter every cow in the country.

B_BeautifulDark

Just Browsing
Media
do cows have multiple births? If so I expect there have been identical twins from time to time...and all their descendants are decendants of clones.

A clone is supposed to be an identical copy. So its the same as the original. So its a cow. Genuine, original. Whats the issue? Or is the problem that someone thinks these clones are not clones?

Bovine twins suffer from a conditions call "freemartinism" and are rendered sterile in the womb.

Freemartin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia