Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I probably could've done a better job with a title, but it's late so give me a break here. I'll start with the anecdote that got me thinking.

Tonight while hanging out with a bunch of friends a girl who's father passed on a few years ago was talking about how her mom has started dating again recently. She said she didn't like the guy he was seeing currently and that he seemed too old for her mom. Another girl who we'll now call girl 2 said there was nothing wrong with the first girl's (from now on 1) mom dating a rich old man. 1 said he wasn't rich, but a retired teacher. 2 asked if he was cute. 1 said no. 2 paused for a second and then asked if he was hung. 1 gave a quick ew, followed by a laugh and then went on to other things.

This was all in fun (probably :eek:) , and my friends can be fairly raunchy from time to time, no big deal. I know that 2, and likely 1 watch a lot of "chick flicks", "girl shows" etc. I've watched a few episodes of Sex and the City of them, two of which had a character's endowment as a large part of a small side plot. I've also seen this done in the Adam Sandler movie Anger Management.

Do you think that films/tv shows of that nature are making size a less taboo issue, or perhaps more publicly known? The females present were all either 19 or 20. Do you think that the influences of such media have effected other generations?

p.s. gotta give a thanks to the people here who welcomed me to lpsg and told me I'm big. It makes situations like this far more enjoyable, even if I'm not "hung".:biggrin1:

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Barely Big said:
Do you think that films/tv shows of that nature are making size a less taboo issue, or perhaps more publicly known? The females present were all either 19 or 20. Do you think that the influences of such media have effected other generations?

I don't know about it being taboo, but it does seem to make the issue one sided. I am not sure that I have ever seen the media showing women (or men for that matter) discussing the size of their vaginas - that seems to remain taboo.

lisa_2662

1st Like
Media
Personally I don't let movies and TV influence my opinion on men or their size, or anything else for that matter, but I can't speak for all women. I'm sure there are those that are dumb and shallow enough that they follow the doctrin of Sex In the City religiously, but for me, thats not how it is. That show is clever but I find those women to be annoying and vile when it comes to dating sometimes. I think society makes men think that size is a huge issue (no pun intended) but its only really a major issure for really self centered women. Its been said many times around here, but if a woman doesn't date you because you're not 'hung' then you probably don't want to date her anyways, and if she's dating you just because you've got a big cock, you probably don't want to be with her either. There's a lot more to a great relationship and great sex than a big penis.

Barely Big

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lordpendragon said:
I don't know about it being taboo, but it does seem to make the issue one sided. I am not sure that I have ever seen the media showing women (or men for that matter) discussing the size of their vaginas - that seems to remain taboo.

Actually... The one and only episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm I've seen addressed that very issue. One character's ex said that he was too small, while he said that she was actually cavernous. It was not a major plot point of the episode, but it was quite funny and refreshing to see the situation reversed. Of course that's one instance compared to what is undoubtedly far more dicussing the size of men.

Lisa, everything you've said is true. Unfortunately many people seem to do whatever tv, magazines or movies tell them to. It really bothers me that I see this happen with some people I genuinely care about. Hopefully they'll outgrow it.

seandelevan

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've seen many female friends of mine ask eachother if this or that guy has a big dick, like the it was normal conversation. And these are different girls from different times and places. So I believe they all do it. And it seems they all got it from shows like Sex in the City. Sad:confused:

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
With notable exception of "Sex In The City", the overwhelming media representation of size issues have concentrated on small weenies. And there is a reason for this. Sports aside, television panders to and targets women-in the business the expression is it sells a lot of "soap." For decades women have been complaining about men compartmentalizing their bodies, breasts, tushes (etc.) and demanding they be sleek, sexy and desirable. As payback, women in female bonding daytime shows like "The View" and in movies decided to become more critical and demanding of the male body and the penis in particular. However, this only works if the organ is subpar.

So from morning to night, from the hags on "The View" to acidic jokes in movies, men's shortcomings and "not measuring up" are the standard. The media is not above exploiting stereotypes either. Every African-American lead actor guesting on these female bonding shows has a quip or joke reference that leads the viewer to fantasize he must be hung like Long Dong Silver. A follow-up joke reference, "I wouldn't know. All I've ever been with is Wong" leaves them rolling in the isles with the mental juxstaposition. In media phallospeak, all Asians are hung like mice.

Until the size of the male member is removed from the battle of the sexes, we will continue to see this type of drivel.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Barely Big said:
Actually... The one and only episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm I've seen addressed that very issue. One character's ex said that he was too small, while he said that she was actually cavernous. It was not a major plot point of the episode, but it was quite funny and refreshing to see the situation reversed. Of course that's one instance compared to what is undoubtedly far more dicussing the size of men.

It was a major plot point of the episode. I'm a big Curb fan and this was probably the best episode of last season. It's called "The Ski Lift" if you have HBO.