Medical advice

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
It can be used for that purpose, but good wound care should be the first step to prevent infection.
They have an entire ad campaign directed at using their product for wound care. "Neosporin and a Bandaid" is their catchphrase. I also see multiple opinions online from doctors who recommend an antibiotic cream and bandage for cuts, and antibiotic cream alone, for punctures. Do you feel topical antibiotics should only be used after the fact rather than as a preventive measure?

Thanks for addressing this.

Doctor_21

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The product is licensed for treatment/prevention of minor skin infections. However, first of all it only works for bacterial infections, as it is an antibiotic, and several skin infections are fungal or bacterial, and using this product blindly (as it is available over the counter) in such cases is not recommended.

Antibiotic resistance is a serious problem, so I would only use topical antibiotics if there are obvious signs of infection, in which case such a product may not be effective enough anyway.

Reactions: ItsAll4Kim

Doctor_21

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
What is your take on the Lyme Disease controversy?
Interesting question. It certainly can be difficult to diagnose, due to its non-specific symptoms. And the range in severity of symptoms is also an issue. I think it should be kept in mind more especially since it seems to be on the rise, particularly in America.

Reactions: Mickey1234