Medical Marijuana

Decriminalize Marijuana

• Total voters

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was just wondering how many people here believe that Marijuana should be decriminalized and allowed to be distributed for medical use. My main reasoning is that me and my wife are pretty much on pain meds for the rest of our lives but we hate taking them due to the adverse effects of said pharmaceuticals. With a little THC the pain is most definitely under control and we are not out of control. Now I'm not saying everyone should be medicating or using recreationally but I fail to see how marijuana is even close to as bad for a person as a pill or even alcohol while were on the subject. The west side of the country is coming around, but how long until we here in the east ( if you are that is) realize that we don't need pill after pill to help our pain. Good eating, good exercise, and natural remedies. That's how I see it. I welcome any and all views, as I'm sure this is one of those polarizing subjects.

Last edited:

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Curious why you didn't include a "legalize" option?

The main problem with it being illegal is that it is a criminal offense. So when I say to decriminalize, I mean that people can no longer be prosecuted for possessing said contraband. That is how you fight it legally. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm not infallible.

arkfarmbear

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've suffered with neck problems since 1979. I resisted any "drugs" until 2001. As the pain became more of a hindrance to work I moved up the ladder to the notorious oxycontin. It stopped working and I was at the max so the pain doctor suggested I go through de-tox. I did, with no relapses since. HOWEVER, I am now left in a state of level 4 to 8 pain constantly. Marijauna "works" for me but I live in a state that has zero tolerance. I've got too much to lose to play the legal games and run the risk of arrest. Therefore, I exist. I don't live. I exist. My close friends and family and doctors will not be surprised when I choose the only method I have for not hurting. That is suicide. They will be sad but will also understand.

Cuddler

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The main problem with it being illegal is that it is a criminal offense. So when I say to decriminalize, I mean that people can no longer be prosecuted for possessing said contraband. That is how you fight it legally. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm not infallible.

Decriminalizing it doesn't make it legal. You might get a fine or other penalty for possession or use. You certainly couldn't pick up a pack at a store.

Legalizing it removes all penalties and makes it available for sale.

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Decriminalizing it doesn't make it legal. You might get a fine or other penalty for possession or use. You certainly couldn't pick up a pack at a store.

Legalizing it removes all penalties and makes it available for sale.

I realize that is the final goal, but like with anything something that has gone for so long being illegal, it becoming legal would be something of a flood gate opening. I may be completely wrong or off base but if it were made available for medical use it would be easier to legalize. My main point of this is that I don't think it of dire need for those that wish to use recreationally. Those in pain, severe pain need it to survive. Or they can just kill themselves with pills. I still agree it should be legalized but it needs to be available to those in pain first, atleast I think. I'm really hoping I am not coming off biased or one sided on this.

balsary

Sexy Member
Media
I realize that is the final goal, but like with anything something that has gone for so long being illegal, it becoming legal would be something of a flood gate opening. I may be completely wrong or off base but if it were made available for medical use it would be easier to legalize. My main point of this is that I don't think it of dire need for those that wish to use recreationally. Those in pain, severe pain need it to survive. Or they can just kill themselves with pills. I still agree it should be legalized but it needs to be available to those in pain first, atleast I think. I'm really hoping I am not coming off biased or one sided on this.

You don't come off as biased at all.

I agree that a genuine need trumps a recreational desire, but the fact remains that there is no credible reason that it is illegal to begin with.

What amazes me is that no one ever considers ending the war on drugs (or at least the war on marijuana, which is where the majority of the funds go) as a means to cut spending.

B_jdunhill

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Helps me balance back pain
Helps my appetite.
Helps me broaden my horizons, as it were, and maybe think deeper/longer sometimes.
Helps me sleep.

Attachments

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I noticed one vote in the keep illegal check box. I would ask that if you do think that please explain so here. Not required at all, I am just curious as to the reasons.

fangirl

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I know more than my fair share of people with nagging, crippling, chronic pain. Some have had said pain for over twenty years. Being only 23 myself it is hard to comprehend that they have been in pain longer than i have been alive. Medications work, but many times these people have to take pills to counter the effects of their pills to counter the effect of their pills. if weed can stop that cycle, i say give it to them. End of discussion.

AlexAussie

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I understand where you're coming from, I've seen many people who suffer from chronic pain. In reference to MJ, I think it may have a place in the medical world, I also understand that for lots of people it has a place in their normal world too :). The only thing that I take an issue with is this idea that it would be better than 'pills' because its 'natural'. In almost all cases the drugs that are produced are from 'natural' things, the obvious example being aspirin, derived from the willowbark. The pills are just a way to capture the 'essence' of the plant and make it more effective and safer. Yes there are side effects, but I've also seen people almost kill themselves from taking some over the counter herbal remedies. In regards to MJ, it is a mind altering substance, and as such if not really monitored it can be as bad as going to work drunk, not to mention the other possible 'side effects' like lung cancer. Taking any mind altering substance over a long period of time can really mess your body/mind around, just ask the schizophrenics down the street from me. Obviously you might not get any of these things, just like you might not getting any side effects from some pills but you are at an increased risk of it. I think it could be used in medical treatment of severe chronic pain as an alternative to chronic opioid use, but I do think it should be done in away to reduce its side effects. Making it completely legal might be more dangerous, just in the point of younger kids and things, yes some still smoke joints but if it was legal it would be easier to get it and it would be more common (just like underage drinking), and their brains aren't fully developed yet...
So.. yeah, that was just a few incoherent thoughts on the matter.

balsary

Sexy Member
Media
I understand where you're coming from, I've seen many people who suffer from chronic pain. In reference to MJ, I think it may have a place in the medical world, I also understand that for lots of people it has a place in their normal world too :). The only thing that I take an issue with is this idea that it would be better than 'pills' because its 'natural'. In almost all cases the drugs that are produced are from 'natural' things, the obvious example being aspirin, derived from the willowbark. The pills are just a way to capture the 'essence' of the plant and make it more effective and safer. Yes there are side effects, but I've also seen people almost kill themselves from taking some over the counter herbal remedies. In regards to MJ, it is a mind altering substance, and as such if not really monitored it can be as bad as going to work drunk, not to mention the other possible 'side effects' like lung cancer. Taking any mind altering substance over a long period of time can really mess your body/mind around, just ask the schizophrenics down the street from me. Obviously you might not get any of these things, just like you might not getting any side effects from some pills but you are at an increased risk of it. I think it could be used in medical treatment of severe chronic pain as an alternative to chronic opioid use, but I do think it should be done in away to reduce its side effects. Making it completely legal might be more dangerous, just in the point of younger kids and things, yes some still smoke joints but if it was legal it would be easier to get it and it would be more common (just like underage drinking), and their brains aren't fully developed yet...
So.. yeah, that was just a few incoherent thoughts on the matter.

I'll agree that going to work high can be just as bad as drunk. I doubt the schizophrenics claim, but if you send me the address I'll verify. :biggrin1: I believe you are misinformed on the rest. This study finds that there is no link to marijuana and lung cancer. Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection - washingtonpost.com In fact, there are zero deaths attributed to marijuana annually. Annual Causes of Death in the United States | Drug War Facts

As far as being easier to get, marijuana is easier to get than alcohol for kids. The dope dealer is already breaking the law, what's he care if he sells to a 15 year old, or a 45 year old? Either way he gets paid. Alcohol must be purchased from a business, and they have to card you if you look under 97 years old. Someone either has to buy it for you legally and then sell it to you illegally, which most aren't willing to do, or you have to steal it. Neither of these approaches is very sustainable. Prescription drugs more accessible to teens than beer - USATODAY.com

AlexAussie

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'll agree that going to work high can be just as bad as drunk. I doubt the schizophrenics claim, but if you send me the address I'll verify. :biggrin1: I believe you are misinformed on the rest. This study finds that there is no link to marijuana and lung cancer. Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection - washingtonpost.com In fact, there are zero deaths attributed to marijuana annually. Annual Causes of Death in the United States | Drug War Facts

As far as being easier to get, marijuana is easier to get than alcohol for kids. The dope dealer is already breaking the law, what's he care if he sells to a 15 year old, or a 45 year old? Either way he gets paid. Alcohol must be purchased from a business, and they have to card you if you look under 97 years old. Someone either has to buy it for you legally and then sell it to you illegally, which most aren't willing to do, or you have to steal it. Neither of these approaches is very sustainable. Prescription drugs more accessible to teens than beer - USATODAY.com

Fair point on the underage part and dealing, I just meant if its legal, the fear of getting something that is illegal is lessened, hence younger children. As for the buying alcohol for underage and most people wouldn't, there are a lot of underage drinkers out there, and they are getting their alcohol somewhere. Here you get asked your ID check if you look under 25, but you're not always checked.

Heres one journal article on the possible link of MJ and mental health problems: Cannabinoid receptor 1 gene polymorphisms and mari... [Schizophr Res. 2011] - PubMed result

Obviously though the main problem with the judging of health effects of MJ use is getting a large enough case study as well as eliminating other contributing factors that would skew the results. Here's just a quick one I found about cancer: Elsevier.

Anyway, I probably didn't phrase or explain myself clearly on some things. I'm just spewing out words here, but I do have some idea of MJ and stuff :)