Medication and frustration!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by MidwestGal, Jan 15, 2008.

1. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    Due to my severe balance problems and sensitivity to motion/sound/smell I get nausea and vomit many times a day. After having a very violent reaction to a balance test the end of last month, they sent me home with prescriptions for Ativan and Haldol to try and combat the problem. I am severely allergic to two anti-nausea drugs and have had no response to the other 4 medications they have tried.

I swear I am always the problem patient to treat. I failed the trials of Haldol and Ativan to combat the problem as well. They had me very medicated for a repeat balance test today, which I completely failed and had another violent reaction of nearly two hours of vomiting. It took me a week to recover from the test before and I lost 13 lbs as a result.

I am frustrated that nothing seems to be working and I am into anti- psychotrophic type drugs that they are using to have to treat this. I had never heard of that type being used. I guess they are commonly used in cancer patients who do not respond to conventional methods.

Well, the new prescription I came home with today is for Marinol. It is a synthetic form of THC that is found in marijuana! EEEKKKK!!! I am going to try it, if my insurance will cover it. But, I never thought I would be taking any substance found in an illegal drug, even though this is a legal form. For some reason I feel like I am crossing some moral line.......probably because of the way I was raised. I was raised never to touch or consider using any type of illegal substance or use any medication that was not medically necessary.

I've reached the medical necessity part in this situation and it was the doctor who brought up the use of this medication. Still a part of me thinks there is something wrong with taking a drug like this. My mom kind of freaked out when I told her what the med was (she's a nurse).

I guess I can hope this drug doesn't alter me or make me feel stoned at all. I can't imagine trying to function like that or risking hurting someone else if I am actually out and about. Out and about is not something I can do right now because the nausea and vomiting are so horrible. I literally can not walk 1/2 of a block without throwing up many times. Not to mention having no real sense of balance.

They did rule that my problems are definately inner ear as was suspected before not migraine related. So, I have one test to return for later this month that will tell whether it is Meniere's Disease (last hospital said no even though I had a previous diagnosis of it) or whether I am dealing with Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease, which is even more rare. That and my mom is really getting on my case about not being able to do much activity. The doctors told me they do not want me very active until we find some form of treatment that is working. Sigh:confused:

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

There are lots of drugs that would be illegal in one context and not in another, finding the right medication can often take a long time and it seems like you're going a step forward then two steps back, I hope they soon manage to find something that will work for you.

3. Supersized

Supersized New Member

Shouldn't this be posted on another site? It isn't like he is complaining about side effects like loss of sex drive or impotence.

4. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:

thanks SP, I have been living with nightmare balance issues for 8 years. The past 2.5 years non-stop. It is no quality of life let me tell you that! I try to keep my chin up and hope these doctors will have a solution for me where I can feel like I am among the living again.

5. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

She can post what she wants supersized.

I know how long you've been having problems TG, all I can say is hang there, in the end you'll get it sorted.

6. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm a registered Nurse and using Haldol to combat nausea is a new one for me! Indications for Haldol are Schizophrenia and Treatment of Tourettes Syndrome.I did A quick review of the literature and found that side effects for this drug include Vertigo(frequently) and Nausea and vomiting(occaisionally)......you have me befuddled. As for Ativan, it is used at times for the treatment of nausea associated with Chemotherapy. I worked in Oncology and we frequently dispensed Ativan. It is a drug in the same class as the more familiar Valium. it is a benzodiazapene. But for some unknow reason it HAS been found to combat nausea....I've had experience giving Marinol to patients for nausea. Remember, it's a MEDICATION, not an illicit drug. In my experience about 25% of the patients I gave it to did report feeling high from it.The rest suffered no ill effects. Good luck finding help for your problem.

7. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    Et Cetera, Et Cetera was for anything and everything else as I was under the impression. Not everything on this forum is related to sex or sex based problems. There are a wide variety of members here and quite a few with balance problems. So, I guess instead of answering the same questions a million times this post also functions as kind of an update.

I'm sorry if you feel my post may be out of place but if I can find someone else who may have taken this med it may be a valuable resource for me!

8. Osiris

Gold Member

TG, your fortitude truly amazes me and is a true sign of living a positive life can pay off for you. Like all things that have been thrown at you, I am sure you will overcome this.

You know I am always pulling for you and saying a Hail Mary or two for you. Hang in there baby, something has to turn out your way soon.

9. Supersized

Supersized New Member

I think your doctors are taking advantage of you by perpetuating your medical problems to get maximum insurance money. Find a better doctor. Don't just sit passively and wait for someone to fix this. You must be more proactive.

10. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Are you fucking stupid, or just horribly ignorant? Or both?

11. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Couldn't have been better said Mama.......let's blame the Patient for her problems?

12. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Thatgal, You know that I to get episodes of Vertigo and you know my progress in this, Im not sure if these drugs are what you need, maybe the Ativan but Haldo? I'd get another opinion. Listen to Industrialsize, he knows what he talking about

Good Luck and let us know how your doing.

BTW: Ignore the detractors. I had to edit this because I saw TatooMamas and Indys post. This supersize guy has alot of nerve in his post, he also likes to leave trash comments on my pics, give it a rest dude.

13. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    Thanks Industrial, it was a new one on me when the neuro-otologist gave me the script. I was like your giving me what??? I found the nausea/vomiting treatment listed on wikipedia of all places when I did a quick search. But my pharmacist said it was used occasionally in cancer patients.Thanks for the well wishes, I can use all the luck I can get!

14. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    thanks Osiris, I really appreciate your support!

15. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    why the hell do you think I went to another doctor in the first place? the idiots at the last hospital gave me a diagnosis then didn't follow up any treatment. I am seeing one of the top neuro-otologist whom is one of the leading authorities on dizziness/balance problems in this country. This guy is the top guy out of Northwestern in Chicago.. I don't need your rude and uneducated opinion on my situation. I wasn't condescending in my tone like you have been and I certainly hope I never come off like an uncaring person as you have!

16. Supersized

Supersized New Member

I've seen this sort of scam before. There are alot of crooked doctors out there. Atleast get a second opinion.

Back off Monster or I'll give you another dose. This is your first and final warning.

17. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    thanks for the support Meg and Industrial.

18. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    well, I have read a lot of publications by the doctor I am seeing. Some of them include billing for certain tests and defrauding medicare/medicaid. He doesn't work that way. I believe this doctor is truely there to help people and has integrity or that would put his whole credibility on the line with other professionals in his highly specialized field.

You have a beef with me, take it to private messages. Monster was just trying to stick up for a friend. Kindly leave him out of it. Anyhow, your approval in my situation means nothing. I'm done!

19. Supersized

Supersized New Member

F---k it. I'm leaving.

20. Osiris

Gold Member

Gotta look out for a fellow Mid westerner. You are always in my prayers.

Draft saved Draft deleted